1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

What is the best recoil pad on the market?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 7771, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7771

7771 Active Member

Could anyone give there opinions on the best recoil pad out there?
    Thanks
  2. mikezookie

mikezookie Member

The hardest one you can find will last the longest time. That way when you sell it, because your should is black and blue, the pad will look new.(LOL)

Mike
  3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I think the softest is the Limbsaver (also sold under the Remington brand as the R-3). They work well, but they are sticky and pick up lint, dog hair, pine needles, etc. One even started melting on me (though the factory replaced it). After a while they just look like crap, but they work.
  4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Pachmayer XLT stands alone in ultimate recoil reduction---and it will last. |Unlike Trap dude or Kick Eze. Phil S.
  5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

6. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I agree with Phil. Pachmayr XLT is by far the best pad. I used Kickez and wen to the Pachmayr. Good fit and excellent recoil reduction and it does last.
  7. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Kick-eez is probably the best overall. They are fairly soft and hold up well.

The Pachmayr Triple Magnum is the softest shooting. It is so soft that it comes with a rest button that you slip into the top screw hole so the pad is not ruined from sitting in the safe or gun rack.

Jim Skeel
  8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Active Member

I've only tried the Kick Eez Rocker (601) but so far I really like it. Being barrel chested this pad effectively changes the pitch to relieve point (toe) pressure. Pad stays secure on shoulder. No wear problems so far. Seems to soften felt recoil. Marc
  9. Duck

Duck Member

I like my Trapdude Gooey's.
  10. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino TS Member

Trapdude gooey pads are good but they deterirorate in a hurry. Kick-eez are has the best balence of softness and how long it lasts.
  11. AEP

AEP TS Member

I installed a Goey pad on my wifes gun. What a B!t$h to sand. Anyway, the pad was so soft the comb was sliding on her face causing her to start flinching. We ended up switching to a Kick-Ezz. The Kick-Ezz is more firm, and the wife is happy.

Andy
  12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have used both concave and convex Goey pads. When I had them on my gun I thought they were the best. I now use a concave Kick-Eez and I think it is the best. When I change again, I will probably try a Pachmayr Triple Magnum. If I do, I will probably think it is the best.

Pat Ireland
  13. ABH

ABH Member

I'm with Walnutmaker.Pachmayer XLT.

ART H.
  14. 635 G

635 G Active Member

The one that enables yoy to mount the gun consistantly. For me its a Kick-ezz rocker style. If it doesn't fit recoil doesn't mean a thing.

Phil Berkowitz
  15. steve mainus

steve mainus Active Member

For length of life and recoil absorbtion, I prefer a Pachmayer Decelerator or a Kick-eez. A limbsaver is softer, but a bitch to work with. I did one and figured out how to sand it. Didn't turn out too bad for the first one.A Gooey pad is even softer, but doesn't last long. I usually go with the best available that Gander Mtn. or Cabelas has on the sale rack. If you keep your eyes open, you can find some pretty good deals.
  16. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Active Member

For hunting I use the Hi-Viz X-Coil pad. About 5 years ago I bought several cases of 1300 fps AA Sporting Clays Loads at a good price. I am now using them up on doves. I hunt for 10-15 days straight each dove season. The X-Coil pad has made using these loads a pleasure to shoot in a Benelli Montefeltro and a Browning Twelvette Double Auto.

DoubleAuto
  17. Andy44

Andy44 TS Member

For Trap, I'm with Walnutmaker as well. The Pachmayer XLT is by far & away the very best at recoil absorption.

AndyH ;-)
  18. phirel

phirel TS Member

tigman46- The convex shape (rocker style) did not result in a mounting problem for me when I used one. But, most of us should practice mounting our guns more frequently. A consistent mount is important but it is also something we do not practice much. As a favor to me, today mount your gun 15 times and let me know how your arms feel. You might be very surprised. If you can get into the habit of practice mounting, then you can fuss at me for not doing something I know I should do.

Pat Ireland
  19. 635 G

635 G Active Member

I had a nodified trap pad on my Infinity #229 with the standard rib, it was ok, but when I got Infinity #244 it cam with the rocker pad. Now #244 has the high ultra rib & when combined with the rocker--The fit is much better than the modified trap. I put a rocker on my #229 & change the rib between guns. Just waiting for Dennis to make me another ultra rib for my #229. With a high rib gun , the rocker works for me.

Phil Berkowitz
  20. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Something I've been doing for quite a while is to grind the back of the XLT pad into the shape of the modified kick Eez pad. Gives the nice comfortable mount and the best recoil reduction available. Limbsaver is close but a bitch to work with. My guess is the vast majority here have never tried this pad.

And unlike the Kick Eez---it wears and wears for a long time-- without falling apart.! Phil S.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.