1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best powder for trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Is Red Dot or Green Dot a better powder for trap. I have used 700X and clays for skeet shooting but with the added range of shooting trap I felt it needed a different powder. My loads work really well for skeet using 700x and clays but the factory walmart loads seem to work better when shooting trap. What are your suggestions? Thanks Jackie B.

2. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

I like to load my practice rounds (7/8 oz) with red dot. For 1 oz & 1.125 oz loads my personal prefence is green dot. My 1100 wont cycle the light red dot loads, and when shooting my 870 the green dot loads seem to have less recoil. These opinions from a God fearing gun totin' man that is NOT bitter!

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Why limit yourself to those two (nothing wrong with them, of course) but there are a bunch more available from other manufacturers that work quite well.

Clays, Titewad, Titegroup, to name a few.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jack,
    There's nothing wrong with using 700X for trap loads. I have many friends that do so.

Ed Yanchok

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use what is availible at the best price. This is always changing here. I have grown found of Hodgdon Clays

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use Red Dot for Singles (light 1145 ft/sec load) and Green Dot for Handicap.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X....does it all.

Curt

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jackie.... Stick with what you are now shooting. 700X is a great powder for singles, doubles, and handicap. My favorite load for singles and doubles is 16.5gr. 700X in an STS hull, 1oz Windjammer wad, and Fiocchi primer. For handicap, 18.2gr. 700X, STS hull, 11/8oz Windjammer wad and Fiocchi primer. While Red Dot and Green Dot are also very good powders, you just might want to stick with what you are now shooting. Pay less time worrying about which powder to use and more time on breaking the target and you will be time and money ahead of the game. Wish I had learned this lesson 20 years ago...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I started using 700-X over 40 years ago. I've never found anything much better. I HAVE found something MUCH cheaper. I use a lot of Promo, which is about the equivalent of Red Dot. It's less expensive and does the job. Use a good load and concentrate on putting the shot on the target where it counts.

If you are worried about your loads, spend a little time at the patterning board and be sure to check your point of impact as well.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jack, I'm also going to say you should stick with the 700X. But, there's nothing wrong with red dot or Clays for all these games either. If you've already got the 700X and you're familiar with it, stick to it. The only reason to go to the slower burning powders, Green Dot, Intl. Clays, or PB for example, would be for long yardage and full weight loads of shot. Keep it simple.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for your responses.

Bob Dodd, we are playing a game some call scrap shooting wobble trap from the skeet stations and felt that the dot powders would have more oomph to get the shot out there. They don't have a limit on shot so I'm using 1 1/4 oz of 7 1/2's. Hopefully the green dot will do the trick. Jackie B.

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jackie... If you are loading 11/4oz of 71/2's, you don't want to use 700X. I would not use Green Dot either. For the 11/4oz loads, I would lean towards Unique or Herco powder. These two powders lend themselves well to that load and will keep your pressures at a reasonable range..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Green Dot (handycap) & Clays (16)

14. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

For standard trap, I use whatever I have on the shelf and try to keep the velocity between 1150 & 1200. In the last forty plus years, I've tried them all. Can't point to the best. Right now, I'm trying to empty a 25 lb'er of Royal Scot I found under the bench.

Big Jack

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Jack

If you intend to load 1 1/4 oz of shot, you are looking at the wrong powders. You would be better off with something on the order of Unique, WSF, Universal Clays, etc. For 1oz or 1 1/8 the powders you mentioned will work as long as you stay within reasonable limits. Green Dot is a great powder for 3Dram handicap loads. I like something slower if I'm trying to increase the velocity much over 1200 in the 1 1/8 oz loads.

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jack, I've seen Scrap played shooting trap from skeet posts. Adding the wobble trap machine would certainly add some fun. But, truly, think about it, your shots even from 4, 5, and 6 are no more than approximately 27 yard targets for all trap shooters whether wobble or not. Sure, at the corners, a straightaway may be heading south in a hurry but not more distant than 27 yard trap target. The standard 27 yard trap loads are just 3 dram DE 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2s in registered shooting and most clubs frown on or outlaw heavier loads or shot size. If you want to shoot 3 dram loads up to 1235 fps with 1 1/8 oz of shot, sure, go to one of the slower burning powders so you can keep the internal pressure down in your loads. Green Dot, International Clays, PB, and several others come to mind. Remember it's not to reach out further it's to keep the ballistics in check for safety for you and others nearby....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

For 1 1/4 there is nothing better than Longshot it will get the shot out there.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

700X and Clays work fine for Trap loads.

John C. Saubak

19. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I like 700X for singls and load up unique for caps.Both go bang even if its -10 out like it is here in wny sometimes.

20. sweeper1

sweeper1 Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best powder for skeet and trap

best powder for trap loads

best trap powder

best trap shooting powder
trap shooting powder
what is the best powder for trap shooting
what is the best powder for trapshooting