1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best hull to reload?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tom pond, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom pond

tom pond TS Member

I need to starting buying some factory loads for the purpose of relaoding. So far I have been using winchester aa's. Do any last longer etc, sts, nitro, ?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

STS is the best one out there these days. They also cycle nicely in auto loaders.

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Most people would agree that Remington STS, and Nitro 27 along with Gun clubs are the best these days.

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Another vote for Green (and gold)

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Remington STS & Nitro, same hulls just different color. They're all I reload anymore.

John C. Saubak

6. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

STS, and Nitro 27

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Federal papers smell the best and load great. HMB

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Remington green the only way to go.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't reload the new style AA's and probably never will. I have quite a supply of the old 12 ga. style AA's to last me a lifetime. About 25% of my 12 ga. reloading is done with STS's and Nitros.

20ga. I reload exclusivly Remington STS's, Game loads, Gun Clubs and Sport Loads. They reload the same.

If I were starting out I'd go the route of the STS's and Nitros. Good price incentives and sales on them, and you get quality hulls. The Gun Clubs make great reloads it's a matter of how you want to look at the steel bases.

10. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I load new style AA's almost exclusively. The reason being is that, when I started shooting trap, AA hulls were far more plentiful to be had than any other brand. I have loaded some 12 and 20 gauge Remingtons and they work great too. I like the AA's just fine. The only thing I had a problem with was when I tried to use the lime green Downrange wad for one ounce loads, it wouldn't seat properly. Switched to the pink Win wad and, voila! No other complaints. I suppose hull longevity would depend somewhat on how hot you load your shells but I get around ten, some more, some less reloads per hull. It seems like you get a few more out of the old style AA's. Use the best brand that you can get a good supply of and have fun! Good luck! Neil Swenson

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I've introduced a few new shooters to reloading in the last two years. For starters the MEC Sizemaster was good enough and didn't break the bank for them. Good starter press. They went the route of the Gun Clubs hulls because of case sale prices and they lay around. I could get them a home for them when I found them laying around. I feel the resizing collet is better than than the ring sizer of the 600 JR., ring sizer tears up the zink and brass plated on the steel bases. I know these guys are getting 8+ reloads out of these GCs and hording a bunch hulls.

The GCs are not in the same hull class as the econo marketpak Winchesters.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The best hulls for reloading are the Top Guns and Gun Clubs ... because I get them for free!

Reload them 2 times and leave them.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Remington STS or Nitro 27s; Remington Gun Clubs have steel heads and I have found them difficult to re-size. Stick with STS or Nitros...you won't be sorry. Best Regards, Ed

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Remington RTL "Premier" hulls if you can find them... opaque greenies... IMO the best reloadale hull ever.

Jay

15. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I'd say that the best for reloading is the one you have the most access to for the least money. I get Gun Clubs by the tub at the local club, so for me that is the best choice. The rest is immaterial.
    dju

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you have to buy new shells, many people like the Remingtons. I will load Remingtons, Federals, Winchesters, or Fiocchi. I don't usually buy factory ammo, so I load what I can get for a reasonable cost or for free. No Eurotrash or Fiocchi papers.

17. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I prefer to use hulls from shells that have been shot.

Gets very expensive if you buy factory shells just to spill out the shot, powder and wad so that you can reload 'em.

18. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have my best luck with Rems. (as stated many times above) the STSs green or gold have brass heads easier to resize, Gun Clubs (green) & the black field loads will last just as long but have a steel (plated either brass or zinc)head, some guns DON'T like the steel so you will have to see what YOUR gun will tolerate. If shot new in your gun & it's happy with GCs you may not have to worry about resizeing, if you get some from other guns you may get by with just resizeing the 1st time & not have to do it every time. Otherwise I'd just stay with the STSs as they are easy to resize if your smoke pole is finicky. not worth breaking an extractor or ejector with steel heads. Good Luck in your new venture & enjoy. Ross Puls

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I reload Federal Gold Medal Paper exclusively...

Before going to paper, I found the STS to be the best overall...good luck

Jack

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I load just one hull and my loader is set up for just one hull. STS is that hull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best hulls to reload trap

best reload for trap