1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is the best guitar to buy a 8 yr old

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

We bought our nine year-old an ION electric guitar and amp. I don't recall what we paid but it was pretty cheap, his guitar teacher said it was perfectly good to learn on, and he loves it. No sense spending a lot until you're sure he/she is going to stick with it. With that in mind, you might want to consider looking on Craigslist for something used.

-Gary

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

I agree Craigslist is great. Every day, tons of cheap stuff comes up for sale. I still think a music shop is better, however, if you don't know about what you're buying.

A guitar should never be a surprise gift. You should pick it out together and some interaction needs to take place. Ask him/her whatmusiche/she likes. You have to figure out what motivated them to start in the first place. The majority of kids quit within a year, so don't try to fight their preferences. The "right" guitar is whatever they will keep in their hands, every day, for the first year.

That said, I'd recommend getting an electric, unless they absolutely, specifically say they want an acoustic. It's easier & they can plug their headphones in and practice to their heart's content without bugging anyone. Again don't fight their preferences. I've known a few adults who strong-headedly tried to force their kids into an acoustic, and today none of them are players because acoustic is just flat-out more difficult, for the beginner anyway.

If they want electric, _everything_ under $700 is Chinese/Malaysian/Indonesian/Korean...Ibanez is good for the money (consider this a temporary investment). If they insist on acoustic, get a Seagull, period, before you get anything Chinese. They have good quality solid-top gtrs. for like $375 at Guitar Center that are made in Canada, not some ying-yang industrial waste slave-camp.

3. 7771

7771 Active Member

Beretta AL3901 :)

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Blueridge is good for the money but it is not electrick

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The very best? If you want the very best I would look for an early 60s model "Les Paul".

What would I buy for an 8 year old? I would take the kid to a pawn shop, and let him find something there. Reason? Most have tons of em, and if the kid is going to be a musician he is going to have to learn to deal with pawn shops eventually anyway. LOL. Don't pay their first asking price. Tell em you have been watching "Pawn Stars" on the cable channel and you know what they pay for the stuff they have. Nothing.

I see Walmart and Sam's Club are even selling Fender guitar packages anymore. "Might" be a good bargain for a starter, I don't know.

Don't listen to me though, because I traded my Fender Bandmaster tube amp for a solid state Yamaha amp. What the hell was I thinking? Peter Frampton was popular then, so I'll blame that on that.

6. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

ANY THING THATS INEXPENSIVE AND WILL STAY IN TUNE

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I would look around for a used baby taylor great little guitar. They start around 275-300 new with bag and accessories. It's not a toy like most smaller body guitars and Made in USA! If you buy him/her an electric, they might never be able to play an accoustic without a lot of frustration.

You should be able to find one used since guitar players are worse than trap shooters...

I just googled and found them on Amazon for 299, but make sure they give you the bag and accessories.

TNCoach

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Buy him what he wants, within your budget. If he is talented and sincerely interested in playing guitar, you will not be able to stop him. If he isn't, then it doesn't matter what you buy.

bluedsteel

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Seagull Guitars have a wider neck than most other acoustics. Not great for small hands. I would suggest a Taylor Baby in all mahogany. A very nice little guitar that plays great and notes perfectly. It has good tuners and is easy to play. Whether you choose the mahogany, which is the BT-2 model or the spruce top, which is the BT-1 model you can't go wrong with the Taylor. They can be bought for $300 at Musicians Friend on the internet and they are a 3/4 sized guitar perfect for the young musician. The reason I suggest the mahogany is that it has a mellower, fuller sound than the spruce tops. Just my opinion. Oh, and it is definitely not a toy. It is a real instrument.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

one far away from me...along with the neighbors kid with the drums!

11. mobear

mobear Member

For an 8 year old, I would start out with one of the fender mini strat, it is build for young players, and has smaller dimensions.

A full size guitar is going to be almost impossible for a kid to play, and this will cause them to loose interes.

I have a link above to guitar center that goes to the mini strat.

Dan

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

I like the Baby Taylors...and the Little Martins, if you're of that persuasion. If the 8 year-old's hand size is a concern (which it probably is), keep in mind the baby acoustics are still 6-string guitars, so their neck width is not all that much smaller than the others.

Again, talk to your kid, and see what's motivating them to play. If they're like most kids and want to imitate what they hear on the radio, get the guitar that allows them to most easily imitate the kind of music they hear in their head.

If you go in any guitar store on a weekend, look at the electric section. See how many kids below age 16 are there, whanging away on electrics and murdering their favorite songs.

Then, go in the acoustic room and take the same count.

The right guitar is the one that keeps them whanging away at their favorite music, whatever it is. Within reason, let them do the choosing. There is a 97% chance they'll quit practicing within a year. Don't worsen the odds by trying to impose your musical preferences on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.