1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best grease to use to lubricate

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Potter625, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potter625

Potter625 Member

What is the best kind of grease should I use to lube my trap gun.One that will not break down in the heat of the day.

2. RJ

RJ TS Member

For Greese I use White Lithium in a careful way. Not gobbed on. For oil, I use Rem oil in a sparce way. On areas that slide together. Rich.inAz.orinnameonly!!!
    P.S. I am 65 yrs old now and have been using this from the begining, from the early 70's. I had an 870 Wingmaster when I sold it I just shot the 47th thouthant round through it. The person who purchaswd it from me just went it's 57th thousand round and no work other than cleanup on it. It's deffinately a Remington Wingmaster. rated number 10 on the 50 best made guns in America. This is because of it's durability. I know other fellas who have many more rounds through ther 870's with none to very little parts replacements on them. Ihave another Remington Wingmaster, This one has only 31000 shells through it.

3. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As said, anything more lasting that KY Jelly will probably do and what you are going to get are people's personal preferences rather than some objective "best".

Consider popping into an auto parts store and getting some synthetic bearing grease. Put some in a small container and it will work just fine and is very cost effective.

I think the chances are very good that any grease branded for gun use is not made just for that specific purpose.

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

STOS or Lubriplate White Engine Assembly Lube...

5. skip

skip Member

Anything Clean

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

STP or mobile 1 - much better than grease- wont break down and wont come off-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Chevron Rykotac sticks like death...

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Unknown1, " DuPont Krytox 205 GPL !! Nothing else even comes close! "

$65 for 2oz of Krytox is ridiculous. Your are right, I can't think of anything that comes close to that. How is it different from Super Lube, a food grade synthetic with teflon? The description of Krytox reads like Super Lube.

9. daveship

daveship Member

i use super lube synthetic grease

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

STOS Gold or Clenzoil ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Skip is the only one with the true answer. Any thing clean before each use. Although I still look and see if the grease has a rust inhibitor.

12. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

Ive been a Nissan technician for way too long, but we have a special white grease that is made for window regulators; a very hot vertical environment.
    This stuff is sticky, but will not run in any earthly heat.
    Works great.
    Comes in a nice size plastic tube with a tip.
    Your dealer has it, or can get it.
    Let me know if you can't find it.
    CS27

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

MK--No offense but $44 instead of $65 is still crazy high for 2oz. I have a hard time believing you could prove its advantage over the other lubes listed. I use everything from the Gator Tears, Swamp Slime, Hoppes Gun Grease to plain old motor oil. I can't tell the difference. Clean is the real answer. I change mine after EVERY session of shooting be it 50 shells or 400.

Now that is my galled gun above but the damage was done before i recieved it. It has not gotten any worse and i have never owned a gun that did that on my watch.

All this said though its your money and you may do with it as you please. Just say'n...................

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've tried a lot of them, and Militec-1 grease is far and away the best I've used (as well as far and away the cheapest).

http://www.militec1.com/

You can get a grease gun tube of it from Brownells for under 15 bucks. I transfer it in a syringe I got from Woodcraft, and use it as needed. Stays where it should when its hot out.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I use a nice clean grease out of a syringe that is for choke tubes. Its fairly cheap, but will work in high temps for summer shooting in florida. I wipe if off after each use and put on fresh when I assemble the gun next time I shoot. No reason to spend high dollar on grease you wipe off after each use. If you leave it on then you run the problem with dirt and misc. breaking the grease down anyway. I buy it at the local Bass Pro, Gander, Dicks whatever is close to you. Break-em all. Jeff

16. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

tri-flo, stos, as per giacomo, works for me plus the maestro has blessed us w/ his knowledge fwiw

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Any FDA approved nonstaining high temp. synthetic (ie, SuperLube or ViperLube, there are others). I don't use oil for a lube......it ends up soaked in the wood. The synthetic nonstaining is easy on the wood and great on the metal. Cleans off very easily between uses and wont run or gum up under any shooting condition.

18. grntitan

MK--That is interesting reading and has some useful info there. Now i didn't say the product wasn't any good. I am quite confident you wouldn't use anything that was harmful to your firearms. For the application we are speaking of i still don't see that advantage unless you are repeating their test. I still say its crazy expensive. Thats my opinion as i have had great luck with cheaper products.

.................................................................................

This part from your provided info makes me wonder:

Caution Caution Caution! These test results don't tell us anything about how well these lubricants will perform in other applications. Don't be tempted to apply our findings to ball bearings or other situations where galling isn't a problem. If you write to us asking how this grease will work in another application, we will tell you we don't know. We only have the results of this test and that doesn't tell us how well it will work in your fishing reel, gun, motorcycle spline or anything else. Just because a product doesn't perform well in our test, does not mean that it is a poor lubricant. We use many of these products ourselves for a variety of applications and they work great. Likewise, just because you have had good results using some of these products in other applications, doesn't mean they are suitable for couplings.

19. grntitan

MK--I'm not bad mouthing the product you use at all. I just think there are cheaper alternatives for gun lubrication. Their tests do certainly show a reduced or complete omission of the amount of galling on the thread test. That could also give one an insight of its uses other places. Its just too expensive for me. Thanks for providing the info though.

Most often better does cost more. May be the case here as well.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Picking a lubricant for a particular application, it should have as many characteristics that are beneficial to that application.

For example. There are a lot of petroleum based greases out there that do a more than adequate job of lubricating trap guns......but they stain both wood and clothing. I'd use them but the synthetics are just as good at lubrication and don't stain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is best shooting gun grease