1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best chain saw value?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

for the money- must be easy to start

and hold up

?

regards from Iowa

Gene

2. qshot

qshot TS Member

Unless you are going into the logging business go to Lowe's or home depot and get a poulan 16 inch bar . Good saw for the money

3. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I have owned Mccoula poland craftsman homelite and stihl. Now have 2 stihls throw the others in the junk.

4. dward

dward Member

A husqvarna or stihl that is 4 cubes or bigger. Smaller saws are put together with sheet metal screws. I've got a 4.7 cube husqvarna that I bought in about 1980 when I was out west logging and it still runs great.

5. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

Husqvarna is the way to go with the way they are making the new stil's. Go with the Husky...

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Husqvarna 455 Rancher all the saw a Homeowner will ever need.Starts so easy a child could do it.Jeff

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I used to fall trees in my youth and of all the saws I ever used the Sthil was heads and shoulders above the rest. For around the farm type saw a Sthil 390 Farm Boss. Ben

8. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I asked the same question here about buying a Husqvarna chainsaw and everyone said yes buy it you won't regret it so I bought the 455 rancher with a 20 inch bar from lowes for 380.00.
    I had a large oak tree down and it cut it up with no problem any other saws I have owned would have never done it.
    I have allot of oak trees to cut for firewood and I know I have the right saw to get it done for a long time to come.
    So I would like to say thanks for the advice I received here.
    Jim White

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Whatever Gordy uses has to be the best ... hell he can cut an average of 33,000+ blanks a year so he must be know his stuff about chainsaws.

10. Questor

Questor TS Member

I don't know much about chain saws and don't need them often. I go to an equipment rental store and rent one. The ones I have used are all Stihl 16" saws and I have been very impressed with the performance and usability. They are very well designed. I recently rented one to cut fallen trees and clear scrub and I couldn't believe how much work I was able to get done in just a few hours. If I were buying one, I do not know for sure what I would end up with, but I can say that it would be one of the good models like a Stihl rather than the cheapo $99 bargain models.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I bought a very well used Husqvarna 44 in the '80s and found it to be one of the simplest to deal with and a never-fail saw for homeowner use. I fenced a yard with cedar posts from a burn area and warmed the home with cedar and oak for some 10 years with that saw. Today I've fallen into the Stihl family of garden tools but no longer have a need for a power saw. I'd likely look at Stihl first now but I'd certainlly examine any to see if I'd be buying something considerably more complex than that Husky....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Gayles57

Gayles57 Member

Gene:

I needed a chain saw, so my wife took a Sears gift card with some extra money and got me a Craftsman which was on sale. For the amount of use, it will probably last me for my lifetime. One thing that I found is that the Craftsman OEM chain had to be sharped quite often. After purchasing a new chain, I found that the original had 1/2 the cutting teeth as the replacement. Another way of saving a buck.

If your going to use it once or twice a year to cut fallen limbs, a mid range saw should be OK (Craftsman, Poulan or equivalent), otherwise get a Stihl, Husqvarna, or Jonsered. Stihl or Husqvarna 16 inch saws are about 50 to 70 bucks higher than the Craftsman. Considering the extra expense having the sharpen the OEM Craftsman chain more often, the Stihl or Husqvarna appears to be as good of a deal.

Gayle

By the way Derby shoot his weekend Otter Creek SC

13. BigAl

BigAl TS Member

Do unstable folks have unlimited access to dangerous tools such as chainsaws?

14. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I'm a big fan of the Echo's. We have 2 and use them pretty much every other weekend in the fall/winter to remove fruit/nut trees here in California. I am not a fan of any Craftsman or Poulon saw...as in very difficult to get service...a waste of money in my opinion. Another fine saw is Stihl, excellent product, excellent customer/warranty service, and really hold their value. One of my buddies, uses his Stihl for two years and then sells them for about 75% of the cost of a new one. Big 3 are Stihl, Husky, and Echo and anything else is pretty much a disposable saw.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm not a saw expert but I got a 24" Echo a few years ago and it has been very reliable and simple to maintain. That being said, a friend of mine has a similar size Husqvarna that I like better than my own saw. The Husky also cost about $150 more than the Echo. The Echo might be a better value but I think the Husky is a better saw.

16. split shot

split shot TS Member

From BigAl:

"Do unstable folks have unlimited access to dangerous tools such as chainsaws?"

It seems to me you'd be in the best position to answer that question.

17. tp

tp TS Member

My local saw shop recommended the Husky 455 Rancher when I needed a replacement for my Stihl. Best saw I have ever had. Starts easy, even after sitting for months. It is a high torque saw and cuts well even when the chain starts to get a little dull.

18. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I use Stihl and Jonsered. I prefer the Jonsered but I think they have you on their "do not sell" list.

Bob

19. dward

dward Member

Ajax - been there done that! Back in the early 80s I cut timber in the Olympic Mountains. I had a couple Husky 2100s (6+ cubes with 36 inch bars) and a 380 (4+ cubes). I'd always have the 380 in the woods as a spare and I'd try to keep it close, but always behind where I was cutting. Well trying didn't always work and every once in a while I'd forget about it and I dropped a couple trees on it. I'd always try to have it tucked into a stump which kept it from being crushed.......but trying didn't always work and the saw now has almost more aluminum welded on as repairs than the original saw had. I only kept the 380 and it's lasted a loooong time, repairs and all. I've got the wrap around bar which I like.

Back then, if there were 10 saws on the landing, 7 were stihls, 2 were huskys and the odd ball was anything else. I'm in Minnesota now, but I'm guessing there are still 2 stihls for every one of anything else. I'd still get a husky, only for sentimental reasons.

Big Dan

20. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Little Al" with his little p** p** -- is causing trouble again

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alaska chain saws used early 80s logging