1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT IS THE BEST AUTO FOR TRAP?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1radman, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1radman

1radman TS Member

what auto is the best ??

2. JJM

JJM Member

Beretta 390 or second choice Beretta 391

3. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

GET A Hinge GUN ! Auto-loaders have problems ejecting shells regardless of there make . Stay away from those Guns . In my opinion auto-loaders shouldnt be made even to hunt with to undependable . Ask a cop who has carried a revolver
    how he likes His Sig 45 cal . Take the 357 mag revolver anyday .44 even better

Pat Kelley

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Tron, who has a mighty spiffy-looking Beretta 391 himself, the Remington 1100 is also a fine choice for trap. Its advantages and drawbacks are well known, and many excellent shooters have posted excellent scores with them, both singles and doubles (including, if I recall correctly, this year's Grand American Handicap champ.) If it breaks, parts are cheap and easily available, and it takes about 5 minutes to completely disassemble. Many, many gunsmiths make triggers for them, and many aftermarket upgrade parts are available for them.

Many who post here will also sing the praises of the Winchester SX1 trap, which is no longer in production. I have seen these guns (never shot one) and they look like they're built like a tank. The "word" is they were so well built (expensive to build), Winchester was losing money on them, so they quit building them.

If you're set on a semi-auto, I recommend you look into all three of these guns, try them if you can, get the one that fits you best, and get it.

Tripod thanked this.
  5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

I own a 391 Urika target, and a Remington 1100 Sporting 28. The Remington is prettier, but it isn't the gun the 391 is.

~Michael

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've owned my 1100 Trap for thirty years and it has never failed to fire sigles doubles or in the field with three rounds. It's dependable as it gets for my money

7. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

My personal vote is for the Beretta 391, however there are those who prefer the 1100 Remington. Buy one of each and keep the one you shoot best.

hubcap

8. docshank

docshank TS Member

Customized Browning Auto 5, best auto ever made.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

My wife has shot her 1100 that she had for many years. Just like the 870 you have to break em down and clean them. I shoot the 870 for handycap and singles and her 1100 for doubles. My one 870 had over 40,000 rounds through it and not a nickles worth of repairs. The only thing I had done to the three of these shotguns was have a center post installed on the Vent Rib. Her 1100 had over 12,000 rounds through it and the only thing I did to it was replace the seals. I did this two times. I kept the last set I removed for an emergency back up. All three of them were field grade guns. 1100's if you keep them cleaned and oiled and greesed and change the seals down the line will shoot forever. Same goes for the 870's.
    Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

1100 gets my vote.

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Doesn't Pete McCall and his Winchester SX-1 count for anything?

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Frank,

My REM Model 11 (brownong mod 5 patent) I inherited from my grand father kicks like a mule! It also kills ducks in the stratosphere. Nice Model 5.

Guy Babin

13. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

The one that does not bounce empties off me or my gun.

14. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**Many who post here will also sing the praises of the Winchester SX1 trap, which is no longer in production.**

It's still in production as the Browning Gold, same gun.

Not as reliable as 1100.

15. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Yo' Mama.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think you may be confusing the SX1 (stopped production LONG ago) with the SX2, which is more recent production.

Even then, I've never heard the Browning Gold is the same as the SX2...

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I like my Honda Element for trap.

18. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Tron likes the 391 and I like the SX-1. They are both fine guns but the Winchester is a far hevier gun and as such the recoil is less. The wood on your average Winchester SX-1 trap is about 9000X better then the wood on the average Beretta 391. Do you care how your gun looks? As far as reliability goes the 391's are fine if you get a good one but the occasional nighmare exsists that just about nobody can make work. The remington 1100 is the softest kicking of the bunch and parts are cheap and easily purchased. Not so much so for the Beretta or the Sx-1. The only good thing I can say about the Beretta is that it is still being produced which makes the parts situation better in the long run. Nu-Line guns has all the sx-1 parts and they are pretty proud of them. Beretta is proud of their parts as well. Many guys do not like how the Beretta points and fell they are two light up front. That is easily fixed with an aftermarket weight set. The sx-1 has not been made in over 20 years so the guns themselves need a little work even if they have not been fired. I suspect the easy route is the 391 but I would pick either the 1100 or the sx-1 over the 391 because on one hand I really like nice wood in a gun that is as reliable as the beretta( More in many peoples opinion) and on the other hand the Remington 1100 is a very soft kicker. I like low recoil. As far as the gun breaking goes, most guys won't shoot the gun enough for that to ever be an issue. All auto loaders break parts and will need to have their springs updated from time to time. Hammer springs, return springs ( recoil springs) I don't know if Beretta still has trouble with hammer braces but they certainly used to go out from time to time. I would stay away from used Beretta Tekneys as they had rib issues( they would fall off). Sx-1's that have been sitting for 20 years will need a new bolt buffer and a new return spring and a new hammer spring and a firing pin spring wouldn't be a bad idea. The end of the spectrum is where the diffrences in these guns really show up. If you are going to shoot 30,000 rounds per year and want to use one gun and fix it on a less frequest basis I would get the Winchester Sx-1 or the Beretta 391. if you are going to shoot three practice rounds on a Wednesday and two on sunday as well as 2500 registered birds a year it will make no diffrence what you buy. Whatever you do don't buy an auto -loader if you do not want too clean the gun on a regular basis as cleaning and inspecting parts is the key to keeping any autoloader running. Jeff

19. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I purchased an 1100 trap (low rib), and shot a 24 with it first time out. For some reason this gun seems to point and swing very naturaly to me. I have let other people shoot it and they feel the same way about it. Strangly enough, it shoots higher than my BT-100. You just put the bird on top of the figure 8 (on straightaways), and it will really crush it. I also have an SX1 trap, but it does not perform for me the way the 1100 does. The recoil sensation is differant btween the two guns also. I think that for the money the 1100 is hard to beat.

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Frank,

My REM Model 11 (brownong mod 5 patent) I inherited from my grand father kicks like a mule! It also kills ducks in the stratosphere. Nice Model 5.

Guy Babin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.