1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best All Terrain light truck tire?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I have been comparing the Goodrich AT T/A KO and the Goodyear MT/R. What do you guys think is the best value?

2. murk339

murk339 Member

michelin LTX. no others compare. i just put a set on my Chevy 2500. we had 22in of snow weeks later performed great. just drove down to FL. tires were awsome.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I put on a set of Bridgestone Dueller A/T's on my truck at my tire guys insistance. He stated that he would exchange them out for full price if I didn't like them. I've got about 25,000 miles on them now and they should be good for another 25,000. I won't hesitate buying another set, unless my tire guy sells me something better.

ss

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Amazing tire life; curious, I drive with a very light foot, but drive a Duramax. I find the treadlife on the rear tires is not very good compared to the fronts, but not all that bad...considsering. This is a common diesel truck problem I've heard due to lotsa low end torque.

So...has any diesel truck owner found a "great" tire that gives tire life greater than 35K miles on the street with mixed towing? I'd love to find the combination next time around.

Thanks

5. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have had much better luck with the BF Goodrich than the Goodyears. I would not hesitate to purchase another set of All Terrain T/A's.

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Here is my opinion.....I am not a truck guru or a technical, mechanical guru. I know nothing about it. I also hate vehicle and tire shopping, I rather be shooting a shotgun! Everytime I need vehicle advice or tire advice, I ask here. I asked about a truck two weeks ago, and asked about tires at the first of the year.

Now here is my opinion....I had two vehicles earlier this year. One was a 2006 Ford F-250 diesel and the other was a 90,000 mile Explorer. I wanted good tires for the F-250 and asked the same thing you asked. Everyone said Michelin. I went to the tire store and bought Michelin LTX for the F-250. I only drove that truck to shoots. I then had a $385.00 set of Kuhmo's put on the Explorer. The Explorer was my everyday vehicle and didn't want to put much money in tires.....thought I might trade it any day. When I drove the F-250 with Michelins, it was like riding on air. When driving the Explorer with Kuhmos, it was like riding a stubborn mule. By the Michelins and you will be happy!

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Walmart has the Wilderness ATs which have a more aggressive tread but still do well on the road

I put two on the back of my GMC 2500

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Chango2, My 06' Duramax has 165,000 miles. I'm on my second set of Mastercraft tires. I've got 60,000+ on each set. I drive 50,000+ a year, a lot of over the road driving. They are good in snow too.

9. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Michelin XPS Traction. Noisy but tough and last and last and last. Steel cord in the sidewalls. Ranchers here use them because of mesquite thorns. I use them because they last. Jimmy Borum

10. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I have a 2004 RAM 1500 quadcab with 265/70-17's.

I have had Goodyear SR-A's, Kelly Safari TREX and now Firestone Destination A/T's

I would rank them:
    1. Firestone (16k and counting)
    2. Goodyear (42k)
    3. Kelly (39k)

I'm too cheap to buy Michelins....

SW

11. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Go with the BF Goodrich AT KO's I've gotten 80,000 plus out of each of my last 3 sets and they are much quieter than the MTR's and just as good off road.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Another vote for Michelin LTX.

Jim Skeel

13. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Tirediscounters has a good one called American prospector AT. They grab in anything and there made by goodrich you can get a set for about 2/3 of what the all terrain TA costs. Another good tire is the Dayton Timberline AT I have these on my newer suburban they are quiet and really good in snow and ice. My older suburban has the Timberline MT with studs you can go anywhere in those. Walmart sells the Uniroyal Liberator AT They last about double the mileage they say there good for my brother has these on his tahoe he has 50k on them and there still a 1/4 in from the wear markers but they arent any good in deep snow. Kirk

14. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I've had Michelin LTX tires, but 109,000??? I had 65,000 and they were getting slick. Need a picture and validation.

15. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have Goodyear Wranglers on my Ford Ranger. It now has 71000 miles on it and it will go at least another 20000 on the original tires. I keep them inflated to 40 lbs. and rotate them every 5,000. They have been great tires to say the least.

16. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have an 88 dakota 4-4 that gets 80,000 miles on the BF goodrich AT tires before they weather crack to much!

Chango and I have the same problem with the HEAVY diesel truck! The michelin's that came on my diesel went 42,000 miles.I went to BF goodrich AT =35,000 Dunlop radial rover=30,000 miles Big-O =35,000 miles.
    Then I bought a cheap off brand called Capitals and got 35,000 miles and cost 400 dollars less the the afore mentioned brands!
    Now I am trying Cooper tires,Somone told me that you need to rotate the tires more often on the diesel trucks??Bottom line the tire dealers want your tire to wear out faster so you will buy more!!!!!

17. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Another vote for Michelin

18. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I had very good luck with a couple of sets of Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T's. Both sets ran on F250's and Excursions - all diesels. Rotated them every 15-20K and they lasted 60K with some tread left. Excellent in mud and snow and tracked very well.

Check the tires plus reviews. The Revo's rate at the top.

Goodrich A/T's gave good miles, but the sidewalls peeled easily and several had cord separation.

Currently, I have a set of Yokohama Geolanders. They seem to have good traction, but they do not track as good as the Revo's. I only got them because I could not get Revo's due to higher demand than supply. Must say something good about the Revo's.

19. rrrocketman

rrrocketman Member

Toyo's have worked great for me!

[​IMG]

20. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

EE - I've had many a good time in depositions. If you have never been associated with one, people will do some strange things that will imprint upon your memory. I doubt tires would make such a memorable moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best all terrain tire for diesel trucks

best all-terrain tires for diesel trucks