1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the best all around TRAP on the market?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SeldomShoots, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hi, The guys at my gunclub are considering replacing our LaPorte TL2000 doubles/wobble trap with a new doubles/wobble trap. Of all of the brands out there, which trap would you consider to be the most durable, maintenance free trap that throws consistent targets whether it hot, cold or damp? and why?

Would appreciate any insight on this matter. Also, would any clubs or individuals have any interest in our TL2000? Thanks, John Ertel

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

PAT TRAP! Jake

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

But, but, but, what about the PAT?

6. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Did someone call me
    Pat

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I would have to say um do I dare ok PAT.

8. racer

racer TS Member

My hat has tap written across the front.

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Pat

GS

10. SeldomShoots

Looks like PATs seem to be the most popular. Thanks for your responses, but what is it that make them better, less electrical parts, moving parts, vibration?

Also, since they use hydraulics, do you see any inconsistencies in the birds say like when you first fire them up and then later after the oil warms up? Is the rubber band as consistent as a spring?

Roger, 2 guys at my club mentioned the GMV's, what features on them do you think makes them better?

Anybody had any experience with Beomat, GP, or Mattarelli traps?

Thanks, John Ertel

11. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Luvs2shoot, there is a gentleman that occasionaaly responds on this site that goes by setter. You really should try to get intouch with him as I would say that he is the most knowledgable person on these threads to answer your question in every aspect.

13. SeldomShoots

Thanks pheasantmaster, I will see if I can locate him. Everyone says PAT, but no reason why. Is it just because many large clubs use them and the grand. Does PAT make sweethart deals with the big clubs for the advertising value that it has, or are they just that good?

Mathews bows are good, but Mathews pays people who win with their bows and thats why many people shoot them. Plus they spend a lot on advertising. This doesn't equate to them making a better bow with more features than other bows.

I could really use some reasoning or examples of why the PATs are so good or better than other traps.

Thanks, John E.

14. FrankJ

FrankJ Member

We have a Pat Trap and a GMV Super Star. Both have the wobble feature. In the wobble mode, the GMV throws targets in a more varied range than the PAT. We have to warm up the PAT in cold weather for about 15 minutes becaue of the hydraulics. There are no hydraulics on the GMV which eliminates a maintenance area. The engineering of the GMV is impressive and we have had minimal problems with the GMV. As Roger said, you need a member who has some mechanical ability to adjust either machine to throw good targets.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

John,

For fear of flame (I'll put on my asbestos undies now) I think the REAL reason is this:

BECAUSE.

Because PAT traps are what "dyed in the wool" trap shooters want to hear are in the trap house.

Because that's what was at Vandalia, and that's what is in the trap houses at Sparta.

Because PAT will tell you they're the best selling trap machine in the industry (one of their representatives came on here a couple of years ago and went on and on about how great their machines were, but when I challenged her to tell me WHY they are better, the answer always came back "because that's what the ATA bought." No evidence like lower "mean time between failure," ease of maintenance, ease of set-up...just "BECAUSE.)

Now, all that being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them either. Indeed, when our club was looking to replace trap machines, I (and other trap shooters on our board) lobbied for PAT because I wanted our club to be able to tell the "dyed in the wool" trap shooters that our club has PAT traps. It makes a difference to them!

I truly believe, however, if you put a GMV or a Promatic in the box and told trap shooters it was a PAT trap, they wouldn't know the difference.

As noted above, the PAT trap machines have hydraulics, so if that goes bad you need someone who knows hydraulics. In REALLY cold weather, you need to start the hydraulic pump early to get the fluid warmed up before you start throwing targets.

GMV makes a nice machine, but they're made overseas, and parts can be an issue.

Beomats are OK. The ones we have on our skeet fields are probably 15 years past their intended life span, but are still serviceable. If you have to do any big maintenance on them, its can be a pain because you have to remove them from thier mounting and get at them from the bottom.

Also, don't overlook Promatic.

I can't attest, but there are folks who will tell you that Matarelli's don't put as much spin on the target which makes the target flight less stable and you have to throw them faster to get the target to travel as far as other traps (this may be urban legend, however.)

What does it come down to?

Buy what you want, but like RogerC said above, regardless of what you buy, you'll need someone who knows how to work on them, or is willing to learn.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat traps can throw many more targets per maintenace dollar than any other machine.

I worked on Remington 4100's when you had to major them every 250,000 targets because of the sprag clutches and shafts.

Pat traps made me very lazy, just keep them clean and keep shooting. Yes, stuff happens, but by and large the Pat trap is the one to have.

does that answer your why question?

Incidentally I preferred the spring over the rubber, a safety cable through the middle would have been nice.

HM

17. setter

setter Member

John,

You have mail.

Jim

18. SeldomShoots

Jim, timb, Frank and half, thanks for the information. Thats the kind of info. I was looking for, it helps. Thanks, John Ertel

19. jcallan

jcallan TS Member

Yes, the Pat trap at our club (the newer wobble) is in fact affected by cold weather. In cold weather (under 60 degrees in the South) our Pat Trap will rapid fire several targets until you click the control on/off. After about 1 hour of operation the machine settles down. I have been told by the more experienced range officers that it is the hydrolic system that is affected by the cold weather.

Otherwise, it seems to work just great.

20. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

One thing I noticed about PAT traps is that the occasionally throw two targets at once, particularly in cold weather. I've never seen this happen with a Superstar. The vertical angle adjustment on a PAT is set by notches on a wheel, where the Superstar is much more finely adjustable. The Superstar is not hydraulic, and is not sensitive to cold weather. It has no rubber springs that can change tension as the machine warms up. I prefer doubles thrown by the Superstar over those thrown by a PAT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pat trap hydraulics benefit

pat trap life expectency