1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

what is the advantage of a combo vs O/U only?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

What are our opinions of just an O/U vs a combo Sems there would be an advanage to shooting one gun for everything, like sight picture etc. Thanks
  2. Adam54

Adam54 Member

I shoot my K 80 trap special o/u for everything although it took me a while to get use to it and my scores still aren't where they use to be. Hopefully they will get better with getting use to this gun
  3. 320090T

320090T Active Member

Shooting a combo single barrel would be lighter for long days of shooting singles. I shot an O/U for everything and got tired at the end of a day.
  4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The additional weight helps you stay in shape (round is a shape) and gives you more energy from the workout ... The beer after words undoes all of the good it did for you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  5. jbifulco

jbifulco Member

Combo guns look cool and chick's dig em. Seriously I don't see an advantage of a combo over the o/u. Most guns I have seen have the single weighted the same as the o/u barrels so I don't think lighter is an advantage.

I have also heard the argument that the wind will affect the stack barrels more than the single. I personally have not noticed this.

I am now shooting a 682 gold E over under for all disciplines. In my humble opinion save the $1500.00 or so for the cost of a combo vs. Over/Under and buy shells.

Joe
  6. Crunch

Crunch Member

A combo does give you a chance to spend more money.
  7. j2jake

j2jake Active Member

With the O/U one less decision to make, 71/2 or 8, top or bottom? Jake
  8. Avatar

Two guns for the price of one. (Not really true--those combos seems to cost almost as much as a single + o/u.)
  9. drgondog

drgondog Member

I am NOT a 27 yard hncp - haven't shot registered trap in years.

Having said that a good O/U 30-32 that shoots 55/45 looking straight down the rib shaouls handle every clay target game and all pigeon games and you have One gun/set of barrels that feel and look the same.

The 27 yard guys should comment on what they need out of a single barrel gun to win.
  10. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I shoot an o/u because it's what I could afford to buy. In my opinion it's what you can afford. I am a Scot and want the best value for the money, so I knew I would have to get an o/u to start because I wanted something that I could should singles and doubles. A combo gives you "the same" gun sort of. I know of some shooters who shoot a BT 99 or 100 for 16's and handicap, but get an o/u out for doubles. I have enough to worry about messing me up besides two different guns.

When I become rich... and need to replace my current gun I would consider a combo because I have shot an unsingle high rib and liked it. Just can justify the cost to replace my gun.
  11. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Member

Just for grins I weighed my single and O/U barrels for my Beretta 682 Gold E. Each weighs exactly 4 pounds. So much for concern over swing weight, unless those 2 inches make a difference.

Larry
  12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Active Member

Not mentioned yet is the fact that you won't see the heat waves from the un-single.
  13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When it comes time to sell, the combo will sell much quicker. Just my experience.
    Clyde
  14. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

A lot of guys just like the way the single barrel handles. Call it a personal preference or whatever but the majority of serious shooters do use a combo.

One minor technical advantage to the combo is that you can set the barrels up to have POIs that specifically match the disipline. In my case the unsingle for my Kolar shoots about 70/30 which works well on singles and HC then the O/U tube set is 60/40 for the lower barrel (first shot) and 50/50 for the top barrel. This works well for my doubles shooting. If I get a day with significant wind at my back, I might use the O/U tube set for the singles and sometimes even HC.

Is all of this really necessary? Of course not but it does add a bit more fun or enjoyment to the game (for me at least)
  15. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Member

Don't like combos...Have a Kreighoff and Pearzzi combos. I only use the o/u. For singles/caps I like a gun designed as a single like n Alfermann. Guns designed to be singles are much simpler,have Better triggers(more room for robust design) and easier easier to load(gun does not have to break open very far)...Also I don't like putting that many rounds trhu one receiver.
  16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Active Member

".Also I don't like putting that many rounds thru one receiver."

Same could be said for the person that only uses a o/u.
  17. senior smoke

senior smoke Active Member

In my opinion, I have seen very few people that can shoot an o/u as good as they could shoot a break open single barrel on 16 yard and especially handicap.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
  18. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock TS Member

The more I shoot, the more I become a one gun guy. I have a K-80 with the older style step-rib, 32 inch. I shoot it for trap, skeet and sporting clays. I did pretty darn well with it at last year's state shoot, won Class B singles. I've even taken it hunting a couple times! Though, I don't think I will do that again. It's a little heavy for carrying in the field. But seriously, get the best over/under you can afford and shoot the heck out of it.
  19. Trap2

Trap2 Active Member

For me, personally, singles and handicaps are a totally different discipline than shooting doubles, and require different barrels, if not different guns. While I shoot singles and caps quite well with my 34" Seitz built single barrel with a POI set at 80/20, I cannot get the same amount of "control" required for these events with my 30" Seitz built O/U with a 60/40 POI. The O/U is much more lively in my hands and tends to move much faster than I want for singles and caps. In my opinion, to be really proficient at shooting all events requires completely different set-ups. Now, I know that Big Leo shoots his 32" DT10 O/U barrels for singles, but, I believe he is one of the few that can do that. I would not be surprised if his O/U barrels have the same POI as his single does which would allow him to do so. It really boils down to what you can afford and what you feel the most comfortable with. Both will work.. Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)
  20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Active Member

My combo barrels weigh about 2 ounces different on the gun. That's not enough difference to matter much in my opinion. What is different and matters most is the differences in the POI between the two.

I have a friend that shoots a 34 inch O/U for everything and it's doubtful many here have have comparable averages. The combo is a personal preference but be leery of the guy shooting one gun for everything, he probably knows how to use it!

Hap
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.