1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is "Super Sporting"

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What is

John, I THINK I read recently that it's a fancy name for 5-stand.

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

What is

It is not 5-stand. Itr is a sporting clay type layout but each station will have three traps instead of two. And each station will have a program of what order targets will be shot. Lets say you have traps A-B-C.You may shoot A-B report then A-C report then B-A report followed by A-C true pair. The number of stations will determine the number of targets at each station. It is similar in many ways to FITASC except for the low gun and many other silly rules.

3. KY_TRAP_DAD

KY_TRAP_DAD Member

What is

Super Sporting is a hybrid of sorts. Like traditional sporting you travel a course. However there are at least 3 traps per station. You shoot a "menu" that covers a different combination for each pair (never shooting the same pair more than once). It's fun.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What is

Super Sport is great, but pricey for the club. I have seen SS with FOUR machines on each station. That is SERIOUS MONEY.

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

What is

As others have said, there are at least 3 (maybe more) traps per station. Rather than shooting 3 or 4 identical pairs of targets at each station, you will shoot a varied combination of targets at each station such as A report B, then B report C, then true pair of A and B, then true pair of B and C.

This is just an example and it may be varied at each station. In short, there's a lot more variety and much less repetition in Super Sporting. You have to keep thinking all the time of where the next pair of targets are coming from. If you have a brain fart, it could cost you some targets if you're expecting the targets come from one direction and they come from somewhere else.

I find it more interesting than regular sporting clays, but it is also a bit slower to shoot and usually costs more due to the necessity of having more traps and having to throw more "show targets".

Easystreet

6. legman

legman Member

What is

P3AT,If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country do you live. Also, what are the costs of registered and nonregistered targets? Kenny Bruggeman

7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

What is

I shot Super Sporting one time and I didn't like it. It makes Sporting Clays into more of a memory game by having the extra machines.

The course I shot on most of the machines were hidden out of sight so that didn't make it any easier to remember where the targets were coming from or going to.

If the price was right shooting Super Sporting for fun could be fun. The first and only time I shot it it was registered targets and it was no fun at all.

If you think you will like missing more targets than you do when you shoot regular Sporting Clays you will really like Super Sporting Clays.

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

What is

Usually 50 tgts. and is a hybrid between FITASC and sporting clays. It's fun and challenging - what's not to like except the cost, pushing $1/tgt.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What is

Detroit Gun Club has a Super sporting event coming up. "The By-pass Open". It is a 100 bird event, and it's more like WPT explained...Sporting Clays on Steroids.

It is not uncommon to see 55 yard targets of every variation you can imagine, but there are normally at least 3 traps on each station, and they are all used. Yes, some memory is required, but that's the case in any good sporting course.

At the Gamaliel Cup, all the 12 gauge super sporting targets were close (w/i 40 yards), but many were true pairs and a small shooting window.

They are fun and frustrating at the same time. A clear mind is required!

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

What is

Those of us who get bored with Sporting (it is really becoming skeet in the woods in most places) and shoot FITASC, welcome Super Sporting as a compressed/shortened version of FITASC.....

Now, if we could get rid of the "sissy" high gun allowed and go back to low gun only as it is in FITASC we would be onto something.....

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

What is

I like Super Sporting....requires thinking. Prices in my area are not any higher than regular Sporting or Small gauge events. I rather shoot SS than 5 pair 10 stand Sporting events...for sure!

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What is

So in a nutshell... You shoot more at each station.

13. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

What is

The MN State Super Sporting Championship is being held this weekend (5/4 & 5/5) at Caribou Gun Club, LeSueur MN. It's a 100 bird event that will be challenging
    and fun.

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What is

No Brian. On regular SC you'll shoot 6-8 birds per station. Same with this, but you'll more variations and they'll be off 3 traps or maybe 4, not 2 traps.

Some station variations may be all doubles.

15. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

What is

I shot it for the first time at Detroit Gun Club (Buick Open) circa 96 or 97.
    Scotty set those targets and they were challenging to say the least. If my memory serves me right it was either Andy Duffy or John Kruger that won it with a 71/100. If you broke over 50 you felt like you did OK. Brutal!

I agree that it should be shot from the low gun position like Fitasc.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What is

So, in a nutshell... You shoot at fewer stations.

17. JH

JH Well-Known Member

What is

Yes, Brian. Fewer stations yet more variety and higher degree of difficulty.
    It is a welcome change from "skeet in the woods."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.