1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is so bad about porting a shotgun barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ernroe, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ernroe

Ernroe Member

I read so many comments on this site denigrating a barrel that has been ported. Plus there are some negative remarks regarding back boring and lengthing the forcing cones of a shotgun barrel. Usually no reason is given along with the comment to support their claim. I think in would be helpful for the gunsmiths that subscribe to this site to comment as to the advantages and or disavantages of the aforementioned barrel alterations.

Ernie Ashby

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

It takes away from the originality & price of the gun,esp the older collectable shooters. The other person may want a different style of porting.
    I have had several cheaper trap shotguns ported,never noted any recoil difference so why bother. I shoot IPSC & there it really makes a differance. My son has a ported open pistol in 9x25 Dillon(10mm necked to 9mm)that actually makes the front sight dip way down when fired. I had one in 38 Super that made your teeth hurt every time it was fired if you standing along side. Behind the gun,never noticed. Noise level. They are noisy esp with very heavy trap loads. If you need it,do it. The lighter the load the less effective it will be. Tom Lobonc

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If you choose to 'port' a collectible, it may decrease the value. Collectors tend to look for original condition pieces. In some cases, value can go down by more than 50-70%.

If you are porting a 'shooter', I think it's entirely up to the owner/shooter.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have teardrop porting on my DT-10 unsingle barrel,while I believe there is some merit to it reducing muzzle lift it is a pain in the ass to keep the residue blown on to the rib and barrel clean.Like many other shooters I have switched from clean burning but expensive powders(Clays $110 for 8lbs) to a more economical but dirtier powder,(promo $80 for 8 lbs)which just makes the problem worse.Jerry

5. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I never use ports and never buy them. I like classical music and original Model 12's, 870's, Ljutics, Seitz's, Browning BT 99 and XT's all non-ported.

Harry

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Lets see...they devalue the gun, and they don't work. I write from experience...I ported everything from my shotguns to my .338 Win Mag rifle back when it was the thing to do....waste of $$'s...

7. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I hate shooting next to a ported bbl and getting stung by shaved shot and unburned powder. I felt a sharp pain on my neck, reached up and rubbed it. There was a HOT! lead shaving stuck to me. I try to not be shooting right next to ported guns, and won't consider buying one.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ernie,

As far as these things go, its your money, so its your choice. But when folks come here asking for advice, here's what I tell them.

Does porting reduce recoil? Yes, but only about 2 to 3%, hardly even noticeable.

Does porting help with muzzle jump? Yes, most assuredly. And some people like that. Some say you can achieve the same goal with a proper fitting stock.

Does porting reduce your gun's value? It can. And if you plan to keep the gun, what does it matter? Do what you want. If you plan to sell the gun eventually, like a house with a swimming pool, you have reduced your sales market to people who like porting.

Most folks (but not all) who have guns that have been ported say they hate cleaning the ports.

Forcing cones? There is a lot of hyperbole out there about how lengthening your forcing cone will significantly reduce recoil and improve patterns by 20%. Usually, these claims are made by the guys selling the services to do these things for you. I'm quite sure I have never seen conclusive evidence that lengthened forcing cones really improve anything.

Backboring? See forcing cones, above.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem to bother Browning.

HM

10. John55

John55 Active Member

I've owned several trap guns with porting, never thought it made enough difference to make the downsides tolerable....untill I started shooting doubles. Having the lower barrel ported really made a difference in taming the muzzle jump. I have a custom stock on the gun too, but I can honestly say the porting made staying on the gun a lot easier.

11. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

It is your gun. Do what you want. What others think is not important as long as you are happy. For everyone that won't shoot beside a ported gun their are probably 15 that do not even give it a thought.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ernie, how is the 303 treating you

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Other than the fact that it makes the gun louder and really does nothing and is a pain to clean - really nothing.

Jim Skeel

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My father was shooting a TM-1 that he had ported one night and the end of the barrel blew clean off of the thing ... He had noticed superficial cracks when he cleaned it and never gave it a second thought until it was to late ... He was the only person shooting a 30 1/2 inch barrel on a TM-1 once it was fixed, and he didn't have it ported again either ... This is probably very rare but it has happened ... The only way I buy a gun thats ported is if its part of a package deal otherwise, No Thankyou ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There is good porting and there is bad porting. What do you have? HMB

16. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

Other than the fact that porting doesn't reduce recoil, has a very limited effect on muzzle jump, is dirty, expensive and loud and lowers the value of the better guns, there is one more thing.

Ported guns are illegal in Olympic ISU Bunker competition. Most ATA trap shooters are afraid of bunker, but for those who are up to the challenge, a ported gun is a no-no. There's a reason.

17. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What markostrunk said. I will add that all you get is a lighter wallet.

18. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The "Seitz Pattern" porting job was quicker than a restocking of the gun at the Grand years ago. Barrel stopped whipping and scores went up. I have no idea what it did for the value of the gun.

19. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A non ported Browning XT would be a rare gun for sure Eddie.

I had two identical high end trap guns at one time, one ported the other not, I liked the ported one better. It shot softer IMO so I sold the non ported one, didn't seem to bring a premium because it was non ported. I clean my guns so that is not a problem but I never have cleaned the ports nor needed to on a professionally ported shotgun. Never owned a black and decker shadetree port job and won't. I wear hearing protection so I don't notice any extra noise. I've never had anyone complain shooting next to me. I like ported shotguns.

20. David P.

David P. TS Member

Like I always say, look at Olympic shooters shotguns and you will notice most, if not all, have ported barrels. Perhaps they are among the uninformed and don't understand that it is of no value to the shooter, and only renders the gun an irritant to others, impossible to keep clean, and unmarketable.
    David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does porting a trap barrel help

is a ported barrel bad for a shotgun
is ported barrels good for dtl

ported shotgun barrel good or bad

porting shotgun barrel
shotgun barrel teardrop porting
teardrop porting shotgun
why is porting bad in shotgun barrel