1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is proper way to lube an mx8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

When i had an MX8, Dan from Giacomo Sporting told me to use synthetic gun oil, never grease, because dirt particles will get trapped in the grease and grind away the metal surfaces over time.

I thought that was a bunch of horse doo-doo so I went ahead and used grease anyway cleaned my MX8, and my other guns of the grease after each use. If grease is so bad for break action shotguns, you would think other high end gun makers would advise not to use grease for lubrication....

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Grease goes on the locking bolt.. and I use it on the pivots.. everything else gets oil.. Almost as important as grease and oil..as every 5000 rounds or so.. I take off the stock.. remove the trigger.. and soak the action in mineral sprits..an old toothbrush will remove and clean the pivots etc.. soak,clean,soak,blow dry.. oil.. grease and reinstall stock.. It takes minutes..and vastly reduces wear from DIRT.. your enemy.. The pivots I usually spray with WD40 with the receiver upside down.. and clean the picots and where the barrel get grease on it.. EVERY time I shoot..

3. XTerminator

XTerminator Member

Don't forget a little dab of grease on the forend lug on the barrel.

XT

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

A couple of years ago, someone posted photos of exactly where the grease or oil should go. I tried to find them a year or so ago, but couldn't. Perhaps that poster, if he's still here, could repost.

I asked as I think I am guilty of using too much on mine.

Bob

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Lovethesport.. you have mail

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I highly reccomend oil there.. as grease gets blown back in the trigger.. When you soak your trigger..clean everything off.. then spray the whole trigger down with tri-flo/breakfree/Slip 2000 oil.. pat dry..and use a toothpick to put a tiny dab of high quality greae on the hammer/sear engagement thru the lube hole in the sides of the trigger.. That.. if anything is left after shooting can be cleaned out after soaking with a small brush ...The front of the cocking rod.. where the lug on the forend engages is a good spot for a tiny touch of grease too..

7. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Plus 1 on the grease locations, all of them. I am guilty of over grease/lube and really don't care. But I also clean about every 500+ rounds extremely well. I'll pull the gun completely apart and remove as much oil as possible and then relube it all. I use compressed air to blow out as much as possible using solvent. I figure to make sure it operates correctly, keep the dirt out and keep it lubed. Besides, good excuse to sit at the workbench and watch TV. HJH

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Remove the barrel(s) dip it in a bucket of used motor oil wait five minutes and wipe off the excess, Reassemble gun, repeat monthly.

Jim

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thanks friend.. You guys are the BEST too.. All Good.. Mike

10. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

And, he gave me great info by PM, which I tried today.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.