1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is proper way to adjust pw 800

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Need to adjust the final crimp station . Prev owner had stuffed plastic in the tool which has now come out.

Is there any advantage to shoving plastic in there

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

That sometimes happens without the operator's knowing, especially if they're not paying attention to each shell as it cycles through the press. If it was done on purpose, it was done by somebody who didn't have a clue about that press. They would have been better off with a Lee Load-All.

MK

3. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

More than likely the previous owner thought the loader just quit making shells and got rid of it. Cursing P/W for his inept blunder.

Normally just loosen the jam nut on the adjusting screw on top of the final crimp station die. Then adjust the screw down to where you get a crimp that is at the suggested crimp depth.

This is if I understand your problem.

Get Whiz to answer and if different toss my recommendation out. He knows more than I ever claimed to have ever known about the machine. And I have mine for ten years.

Rock

Jim

4. Unknown1

Can you describe the condition that requires that you adjustments to the final crimper? What do your finished shells look like? It's hard to offer a suggestion of the problem isn't clear.

MK

5. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

The crimp is a little too deep and shot is visible.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Loosen the jamb nut on the top and turn the screw CCW. Go slow, about one turn or less each time. This will adjust the crimp depth.

Jim Skeel

7. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Crimp too deep is a function of final crimp. Shot being
    exposed could indicate need to adjust start crimp. Adjusting
    start crimp lower will close the hole. Would adjust final
    crimp to depth desired and then make final adjustments with
    start crimp.

Doyal

8. Unknown1

<I><blockquote>"Loosen the jamb nut on the top and turn the screw CCW. Go slow, about one turn or less each time. This will adjust the crimp depth."</blockquote></I>Once you get the crimp depth where you want it, if the hole is still there (which it probably will be) lower the crimp starter 1/16" by loosening the Allen head set screw in the back of the top crosshead. (I put a piece of masking tape around the crimp starter post to use as a reference for how far I'm moved the post.) If lowering the crimp starter closes the hole but makes the crimp too deep, raise the final crimp assembly a bit more and try again.

MK

9. Unknown1

The lower jamb nut that controls the end taper of the hull can complicate matters if it's used to control the closing of the crimp. It's job is to adjust the final crimp spring pressure and control the taper of the end of hulls that must feed into semi-autos. It affects some hulls more than others.

Since many people ignore it, it is usually still at the factory setting even after the press has been used for years. Leave it alone and see what you can accomplish with the crimp starter and the crimp depth adjustments only. You're going to end up juggling the two adjustments until you get the crimp you want.

I made my adjustments using fired hulls with the used primers still installed (remove the depriming punch from the press first). I used sawdust in place of powder and measured it in a cut down bullet case. After the hulls were crimped I cut them open, salvaged the wad and shot and made more. Let the wads relax for a day or two and they'll be good as new.

MK

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Question....I have a 800 B converted to C.

Should the crimp starter close the shell??

I currently have about a 1/4" hole before it hits the final crimp.

Final shells look OK.

Thanks....Gerald

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

BEFORE you adjust the final crimp station, and since you commented that shot is visible, you should LOWER the PRE-CRIMPER (the station just past the shot drop station).

Lowering the pre-crimper about an 1/8" or so. Make a pencil mark on it prior to changing so you can return to stock position should you need to do so.

By lowering the pre-crimp station you are giving the hull more plastic to be used in the final crimp, and thus closing the hole that you presently see shot in.

Plastic in the final crimp station is not uncommon. This tool is quite often overlooked in cleaning - basically because it is to difficult to remove.

I have rebuild a hundredsof these machines and see this an as often-overlooked area.

The ROCK's comments above are also correct.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.