1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Or Was A Case Of Shells?????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

What is a case of shells today and what was a true case of shells? You older shooters should remeber this one. Why has it gone this way?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A case is 20 boxes. A flat is 10. Popular vernacular to the contrary, I have no reason to thange those definitions.

HM

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

It used to be 20 boxes per case, now it is called a flat at 10 boxes per flat. Why the change I don't know unless it is to keep the psychological price in shooters minds.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Both are correct. The reason for the change was three fold: 1. A full case of shells was very heavy. 2. People didn't want to spend the money for 20 boxes of shells. and 3. Marketing and storage was easier for the retailer. Fred

5. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

Halfmile has it right.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I can remember buying a case (20 boxes) for approximately $50. Now a flat (10 boxes) is much more than that. Although I guess when you compare the hourly wage back in the 70's compared to now; it somehow "evens out". Ed

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

We play mind games with ourself and figure its not as bad to buy 2 flats of 10 boxes rather than one case of 20 boxes ... The Power of the mind is a "Beautiful Thing" ... Besides that the flats are easier for the wife to carry into the garage ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Part of it was packaging- 10 boxes vs 20

Part was marketing -

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, those old 20 box cases of shells were hard to handle. I once went to a shell shoot and won 3 - 20 box cases. When I went to pick up my prize I picked up one case and started to walk off when the club manager came and set the 2nd case on top of that in my arms. I said don't even think about setting the 3rd case on, I'll make 2 trips. I was young and strong. Today I have trouble carrying a 10 box case.

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

When I was a kid, I had to carry REAL cases. 500 shells per CASE, not these little whimpy flats we now have. Where were these geniuses when I was 12? Who ever thought up the concept of the flat probably had to pick up a REAL case at one time and got his boss to change it. Probably a damn democrat to boot! No, wait, a democrat would never be picking up any box of shells. Hmmmm. Just like the age old question of how many licks to the center of the tootsie pop, the world may never know. John

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My sense through the "Case" to "Flat" change was primarily marketing. When the "Case of shells was $35 or $45 apiece, there was no complaining they were too heavy or hard to stock but when the "Case" got to the $70s and $80s, the factories suddenly found $35 and $40 "Flats" (which they liked to refer to as "Cases) suddenly were a lot easier to market; I'm talking about USA produced premium shells here of course. I've heard of a move afoot to start selling 8 box flats, 200 shells "That are perfectly packaged for two events without boxes left over!" as the new/improved (read cheaper) way to purchase shells. So, will we be happy with $50 mini-flats keeping the purchase unit in line with the 1970s? But, like paying $2 for a plastic bottle of water boosted to the price per gallon, mini-flats will soon exceed $100 per a real case - and Federal papers are already up to $120/$140 for a real case. I'm going to continue loading my own....Bob Dodd

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Which one was incorrect?

AJ100

13. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

and while we are on the subject of packaging and marketing, what does (YAC) at the end of WPT's posts mean?

14. guncase

guncase TS Member

Your All Crazy??

15. COLOKOLAR

COLOKOLAR TS Member

I think it had to do with OSHA regs..........about that time a case of oil--which used to contain 24 cans dropped to 12........only thing I can recall staying the same or was not affected was a case of beer or soda.
    So, another opinion!!!!!!!!!!

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Your Arizona Connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.