1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is my 1911 Colt Military Issue worth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Karl E Kloster, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl E Kloster

Karl E Kloster TS Member

This is a 1911 Colt military issue serial number #455038 What is my 1911 US Colt worth? It does have special markings that did not show up in pics. I do not know a lot about them. Karl 641-891-5559
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The grips don't look original, do u have the original grips? Is it original finish? That helps the value. Is it marked "United States Property"? That and the "Model Of 1911 US Army" also help the value. I have one but my Grandpa had it refinished but with the wrong bluing. I have the original bakelite grips. I've never really had it appraised but it has some value.

3. Karl E Kloster

Karl E Kloster TS Member

4. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Karl:

There are just way too many factors involved to give a price on a M1911 with your short description. bTW, your pictures didn't load for me...

As far as price, the biggest factor is condition. Then maker and any designation-USMC, Navy, etc. Has it been refurbished at a Gov't facility (those are usually stamped on right side of gun just above the trigger guard). Does it have the correct parts for that era? Has 'Bubba' messed with it in any way? Is it a 'black' finish 1918 example?

I just touched the surface when evaluating a USGI M1911 or M1911A1. Your best bet is to seek out an expert in this field and talk with them. Larger gun shows usually have some good 1911 people around to answer questions. Don't be surprised if they want to but your gun. If so, you probably have a decent shooter or something very special. Do your research, then sell....cya

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My 45 that was issued to me was NEW and it was GREEN not a blued model, I was in the 37Th Armor Division, 2nd Armor Division .It was brand new and full of Cosmolene.

I also carried it with Live Ammo when I was Gaurding the Army Payroll Bldg at Fort Knox, and at Fort Hood in Texas.

I wore a Shoulder Holster when in the Tank, and as a Sidearm when on Live Ammo Gaurd Duty.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Gary, Cosmoline changed a parkarized finish to green. I read that in a Scott Duff book on M1's. Lots of M1 parts have a greenish tint.

Most of those old guns have been arsenal rebuilt more than once. They don't usually have original parts or finish unless they were liberated and hidden away. I have a 1918 Colt that has been worn shiny like chrome. It would be on the low end of value. Still a really neat item to own.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

JFYR, I sold this WWI 1911 with original 1918 black Army finish two years ago for $1250.

stevew_2008_030358.jpg

8. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Contact Karl Karash (he's in Massachusetts, Google is your friend)

A lot of the pix in the reference books are from his collection....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1911 colt 45 marked fort knox

1911 military issued 1918

karl karash

m1911 property us army worth

what is a colt 1911 worth

what is my colt m1911 worth