1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is more efficient at killing??

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by dustit, Dec 18, 2016.

1. dustit

dustit POSSIBLE SCAMMER BEWARE

Hi All. I don't know if there are too many archers here but I've heard from many people that well placed arrows are more efficient at killing deer then bullets are. What do you think and why? Does a well placed broadhead cause more terminal damage then a bullet?

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I think that might be something archers tell themselves. A well placed rifle shot drops them in their footprints - doubt the same happening with an arrow.

superxjeff thanked this.
  3. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

If I remember correctly, the armies of the world moved on to bullets from arrows quite a while back. Must be something to it.

4. ShotStop

ShotStop Dedicatedto keeping gun clubs open and shooting.

How could anyone with even a lick of sense or who has been on this earth more than 10 years even consider that arrows are more lethal than bullets? Geesh.

xttrapshoter thanked this.
  5. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

Well it's been 20 years ago but I remember reading in South Dakota the DNR flew a County with a Airplane after the Deer hunting season was over. This part of South Dakota allows hunting with Bow & Arrow Shotguns and High Power Rifles and with Rifles being the most popular.
    There were just under 60 dead deer found by the DNR they were examined by the DNR as to what killed them close to 50 died from arrows, a few with Shotgun Slugs, and a couple from Rifles.

6. ShotStop

If you are going to kill an animal, you have a moral obligation to kill it as quickly and painlessly as possible. Arrows, like .22 rimfires on big game, do not reliably do this.

10Goal, SCO/C, Steve W and 5 others thanked this.
  7. buckmark13

buckmark13 Member

The problem with the argument is people typically don't make the comparison on a level playing field. For example, most deer shot with an arrow are probably under 40 yards. I've taken quite a few with a crossbow and I'm not sure I've ever had one go more than 60 yards. But that is with an extremely well placed arrow at close range. Compare that to a rifle at 100, 200, 350 yards or more. Therein lies the difference.

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Over the years I have stumbled upon several white tails lost in the woods that had died wounded. They all had arrows in them. Don't get me wrong, I sure would not want to get hit by an arrow, especially with a modern razor broad head, but to say they are a quicker kill than a gun is not my belief

9. DandyRandy

DandyRandy Well-Known Member

The question was about the lethality of a broadhead versus bullet not about the skills or distances involved so lets go with an optimum shot with each.

With a bullet or arrow it is ALL about shot placement. I shoot archery year round and have for a long time. A bullet or a broadhead through the heart lung does the same thing. A bullet kills either with damage from projectile or hydrostatic shock from the wound channel which radiates out from the path of the bullet. The broadhead kills from the damage caused by the cutting surfaces of the broadhead.

The area of damage from hydrostatic shock caused by a high speed rifle bullet in ballistic gell is larger than the width of a broadhead. I have seen tests where the damage radiates out from the wound channel to a width of five inches. Most broadheads width like a Rage expandable is about one and a half to two inches. I use Rage 2 blade and Napp Thunderheads.

Bullets will penetrate ribs and front shoulders with no trouble. Arrows from even fast bows can fail to penetrate or deflect from ribs and shoulders causing the broadhead to miss vital organs.

I shot a ten pointer opening day last month with a Remington 700 in 30.06 using a 150 grain Federal fusion bullet. It dropped in its tracks and twitched once. Haven't had a deer go more than 20 yards after being shot in years. That said with a bow the deer usually go 30 to 60 or so. The broadhead collapses the lungs and they suffocate quickly. A shot through the heart, major artery or liver they will run until they bleed out.

As for shotgun slugs they are just as deadly as a rifle but don't have near the range. They don't generate the speed and thus damage caused by hydrosatic shock is less but the projectile is much wider and heavier causing a much bigger hole. I have killed a lot of deer with a shotgun back east and they dropped in their tracks or just went a few yards..

My choice for lethality is a rifle bullet or slug over an arrow.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  10. dustit

dustit POSSIBLE SCAMMER BEWARE

Buckmark13 has a strong point. I don't think a white tail will stand a chance within 60yards from my 870 super slug gun as opposed to my elite hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DandyRandy thanked this.
  11. DandyRandy

I shoot a Remington 1100 slug gun with a scope and an Elite Answer. Remington wins hands down. Great minds think alike.

12. Reducer

Reducer Member

Ive seen deer running around with slug wounds to deer having broadheads inside the cavity from previous hunters. Ive always said ill take a bullet over an arrow any day. Arrow is a slow way to go.
    Randy couldn't have explained it any better.

Always Shoot straight and sight your equipment
    Red

13. buckmark13

buckmark13 Member

Exactly my point, assuming a well placed shot. Same with a rifle at the same distance. And of course the correct bullet for the intended recipient.

14. Claypoppy

Claypoppy Well-Known Member

That statement is just not true. Bow hunting is accepted as an effective and extremely lethal method of taking game by Game Departments and Wildlife Managers all throughout the U.S as well as many other countries throughout the world. A well placed, razor sharp broad head shot by a competent archer is a proven method of taking ANY big game animal on the planet!

I personally have taken over fifty big game animals with bow and arrow and can assure you of it's effectiveness.

v-strom 650 and DandyRandy thanked this.
  15. DandyRandy

I agree with Claypoppy 100%. Most deer shot with a firearm by average hunters take just as long to die as a deer shot with a bow in a vital area. A modern broadhead through the heart/lung area of a deer is 100% lethal and quickly. Comparing a modern broadhead shot by a competent archer to a .22 is absurd. There are way more poor firearms hunters than bow hunters simply due to the vast difference in the number of hunters in each method of hunting. Most of the bow hunters I know and shoot with are pretty competent with a bow.

Claypoppy and big kahuna thanked this.
  16. ShotStop

It's the ones that aren't are what is the problem? aren't they? And, that explains this:

BTW, Dandy, anytime you use "most" in an argument, you have lost.

17. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I`m 63 years old . Been rifle deer hunting since I was 16 . So far have never lost a deer I`ve shot . Only once , had one ever run more than say 40 yards . The blood trail from that one deer could have been followed buy a blind man . Twice over the years I`ve found decomposed deer (bucks) with arrows in them . Once had a crippled deer run across the hi-way in front of me with an arrow hanging out of it .I`m not saying I`m a hell of a shot , but for all but the last 7-8 years I`ve been blessed to be able to hunt in 3 states (OK-KS-Mo)on ground where there were a lot of deer to pick from .

18. DandyRandy

Negative. Most means majority of. No shooting sport can boast a 100% level of competency. As I said I have no doubt there are a far greater number of poor firearms hunters with poor shooting skills than bowhunters. I have seen deer with legs blown off. Gut shot. Shot in the hind quarters and dragging themselves plus other bad firearm shots.

Almost all and I do mean all the bowhunters I shoot or hunt with practice all year, shoot 3D, or at least shoot for a solid month before deer season. How many rifle/shotgun shooters go out and put dozens or hundreds of rounds down range before heading to the woods. Damn few.

v-strom 650, Claypoppy, Jethro15 and 2 others thanked this.
  19. Allenn

Allenn Member

All good post, I think post #5 explains a lot.

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I know 2 brothers who bring their deer dogs out to find wounded deer for hunters here in south Texas. They keep accurate records of their activity from season to season. Last year they were called upon just shy of 400 times. Of their 400 clients, 75 percent were bowhunters. The majority of the deer were wounded and were bayed by the dogs and finished off with a rifle. The rancher where we hunt does not allow bowhunting for that reason.

Ken Rucker