1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is magnum shot, why not just plain shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smilyb, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilyb

smilyb Member

what is the term " Magnum" mean when referring to shot?

2. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Magnum has more antimony in it making it harder! Less deformation of the shot, there for better external ballistics. Round(er) pellets fly faster, farther, and hit harder! Rick Gibbs

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It has a higher amount of antimony, around 6% or more. The higher the antimony the harder the shot is, and deforms less. Making better patterns, less fliers.

Chilled shot has about 2-3% and was always used for skeet loads back in the day.

Wayne

4. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I believe it is called magnum shot because it has antimony in it to which makes is harder. Chilled shot I believe is just pure lead. Then there is nickel plated shot. Copper coated shot. Magnum shot was always a few dollars more then chilled shot. You cannot use nickel shot in an ATA event.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Chilled shot has some antimony, but less. The pure lead shot Lawrence makes is called "Drop Shot" and comes in blue bags, chilled is red, and magnum is black.

The drop shot is used in Nuclear plant reactor linings and sailboat keels.

the last time I worked at a nuke plant there was a whole skid sitting there. It was so soft I could mash it wit6h my fingers.

HM

6. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I thought magnums were just longer?

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Chilled is a bit softer than magnum shot. But I don't think it make much difference from the 16 yard line....

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Even though magnum shot is harder than chilled, it is also lighter because it contains less lead in favor of more of the lighter antimony. That means it slows quicker and carries less energy downrange. But as MDMike says, that should be a non-issue from the 16 yard line.

Keller

9. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

@ Catching Chrome - Lol !!! I guess us "longer guys" are the only ones who got that.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've reloaded and shot every kind of shot made in my 38 years of reloading. From the hardest magnum to home made out of whatever lead I can get a hold of. After numerous patterns over those years, I personally haven't found a spits worth of difference between any of them. Reclaimed however, I don't like. To much junk (dirt, rocks, steel, out of round, many sizes, etc.) So if I run across any reclaimed (cheap), I reclaim the reclaimed into homemade shot.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"I guess us "longer guys" are the only ones who got that."</I></blockquote>No... some of us just let it blow on by.

Keller

12. Solid Hit

Solid Hit Member

Is it hard enough to cause problems with a loader over time. I read somewhere that it can make a difference in the longevity on the charge bar of a MEC. Any truth to that?

Should you have to make any adjustments to the load you are using if you switch between chilled and magnum? I wouldn't suspect so since we load by weight, but are we actually getting any significant difference in the count on a 1 oz load?

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Smilyb:
    Strongly suggest purchase Magnum shot for your shooting, especially handicap. With the thousands of dollars we all have invested in this sport suggestion is don't let a couple of bucks stand in the way of possible better scores.

This is like a well known shooter I know who complains that a round of trap went up a quarter at his local club, as he shoots a Seitz, and drives away in a Lexus. It just does not make much sense to me.
    Steve Balistreri

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I wouldn't suspect so since we load by weight"

I am curious about this statement the hole/bushing in the charge can't weigh anything on the reloading machines the one I have has no scales on them. So how are we reloading by weight????

Above wayneo said.

"It has a higher amount of antimony, around 6% or more."

6% of what????

You can't measure by weight by using a whole of a certain size. That isn't weighing anything. That is a drop by volume. Which is quite another matter!!!!

Bob Lawless

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Think of it this way. How much difference is there in weight for a bag of shot and a equal size bag of rice? Same volume-different weight. Same holds true with shot bushings!!

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"That is a drop by volume. Which is quite another matter!!!!" Bob

Really? Exactly what unit of measure are YOU using to determine your "drop by volume"?

A scale in grains, right, the same thing he was referring to.

Absolutely we reload by weight. You need to focus on what he said, not be distracted by what you thought he was focusing on, the "whole".

"Should you have to make any adjustments to the load you are using if you switch between chilled and magnum? I wouldn't suspect so since we load by weight, but are we actually getting any significant difference in the count on a 1 oz load?"

That's a very clear and concise statement.

17. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"It was so soft I could mash it wit6h my fingers."

....only if your fingers were holding a pair of pliers.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Paladin Just for the sake of discussion. What does a shot charge weigh from a MEC reloader with out altering the bar (from the factory)???

Bob Lawless

19. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Why do I think a fixed shot bar load by volume with exception of #9 shot which is the baseline for the given weight; i.e. a 1-1/8 oz bar will drop an 1-1/8 oz of #9's because the shot is tightly compacted in the shot bushing with little gaps between the pellets.

Bigger shot such as #6 leaves larger gaps between each other and does not drop a full 1-1/8 of shot. Reloaders who have scaled their shot drops with larger shot have found this to true. Their remedy has been an adjustable shot bar to overcome this disparity of weight verses volume. Most have found when dropping a true weight in their field or game loads the felt recoil in increased over their fixed shot bar as payloads have increased.

Surfer

20. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Bob, YOU still haven't answered my question. Why?????

Bob; Just for the sake of discussion, they could very widely. Period. THAT is why people reload by weight, except for you maybe.

And just for the sake of discussion, how do YOU determine what size bushing or adjustable charge bar setting YOU will use?

Bob, YOU still haven't answered my question. Why?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is magnum shot