1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is "Lock Time"?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim Bradbury, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

At the risk of sounding stupid, I have been shooting for three years now, and I should probably know this. I have heard the term "Lock Time" on repeated occasions on this site. Such as my Blaser has a fast lock time. I really do not understand what exactly "lock time" is. Can someone explain this to me.

Thanks,

Jim Bradbury

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

What is

The time it takes the hammer to swing through it's arc, move the firing pin to hit the primer.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

What is

Lock Time is simply the measurement of the time from the moment you pull the trigger to the moment the firing pin hits/ignites the primer. So a measurement of the time it takes the firing mechanism to work. This time is generally in miliseconds. In theory, the faster the lock time, the closer to your intended point of aim (that is, when you decided to pull the trigger) the gun will be when it fires. Whether or not a difference of 1 or 2 miliseconds makes that much real difference might be debateable.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

What is

Agreed with Jim basically, however, there was a time that I had one gun for singles and handicap that was famous for fast lock time and another for doubles that was known to be moderately slow, an auto loader. I was clearly able to tell the difference but quickly adjusted, in less than a box of shells, from that difference. A practice round or even 10 shots would make the difference for me.....breakemall

5. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

What is

Thanks guys,

I have heard the term before but was never exactly sure, now I know. Currently I can switch back and forth between my Blaser and my XT and I do not notice a difference, but then again, there are a lot of things in this game we all love that I do not notice.

Jim Bradbury

6. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

What is

It takes an experienced shooter to notice fast from slow. I have the Remington 870 that I started with and definitely can tell the difference from my Perazzi MX8 with flat springs. It's there, it's real and can be measured. Consistency, I think, is more important. The Olympics and others teach the 3 C's, Concentration, Confidence, and Consistency of Method. I think this is especially true when it comes to competitive shooting like trap. Duane

7. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

What is

I've had considerable trap time with one of the slowest lock-time guns--the Remington 1100--and with two of the fastest guns, the Remington 3200 and the Seitz. I could easily tell the difference between these two extremes. But, I now shoot a Ceasar Guerini and I don't think I could tell the difference between it and the Seitz or the 3200. Even if you could tell, it's simply a matter of adjusting to the equipment. Since I can choose, though, I don't want to shoot anything as slow as an 1100 again.

Mark T.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What is

It's the time it takes, from when the sear releases the hammer-for the hammer to fall on the firing pin. Lock time takes weight of trigger, pull, creep, travel, grit, out of the equation. Measured in milliseconds. Weight and travel of trigger pull is more important than lock time.

Wayne

9. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

What is

Lock time...number 27 on the list of reasons why that bird was missed. It falls so far down on the list because only the really experienced shooters are allowed to invoke it as a legitimate reason for a dropped target. Least that is what I was told when I tried to use it...

10. pfofml

pfofml Member

What is

Yes, and then enter the Browning Recoilless. Lock time goes out the window. Its all what you get used to.
    Peter

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What is

The last time I shot a Recoilless, I thought I had a fast hangfire.

An experienced shooter can tell the difference. I have a Remmy 1100 loaner, only shoot it to function check it. I will not shoot a target with it.

My Blaser has spoiled me. LOL

12. mag410

mag410 Active Member

What is

As several above has said, "locktime is the mechanical delay between the trigger being pulled and the gun firing". Locktime is what allows swing-through lead to work. If lock time was instantaneous, you could not swing fast enough, to get in front of the target before the gun goes off. I read an article once that discussed the fact the old time hammer gun shooters complained that they had to have more apparent lead with them new-fangled hammer-less guns.

Michael

13. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

What is

My lock time is so much faster when I use 8 1/2 shot....but only on Tuesdays...or is that Sunday?????????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

explain lock time