1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

what is linotype lead? good for shot making?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

What is it. found some lyman lead ignot. was told it was linotype by sales man. No price, nor did I specify what to use for.

2. Diamond Grade

Diamond Grade TS Member

It is too hard for shot making but okay for bullet casting. An ex-Linotype operator, Ron King.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Generally about 84% lead, 12% Antimony, 4% Tin. It's very hard and brittle when compared to lead. You can cut it with pure lead and add some tin for bullet casting. It's also lighter than lead for a given volume. Not generally good for shot, but alright to mix in with other alloys/metals to get a high Antimony content bullet metal. It's a lot easier than making your own mix from scratch.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Great stuff for casting bullets, as is or cut 50/50 with wheelweights. But----I don't think it'd be too good for shot-making, you don't need or want the tin content. Tin decreases the surface tension of the alloy (good for bullet casting ~ NOT good for making nice round shot pellets).

Used to be used a LOT in the printing industry, was a popular scrap alloy source for the bullet caster 30 years ago. Modern printing methods have mostly gotten away from it but I'm sure you can still obtain the alloy?

John C. Saubak

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have several hundred pounds of linotype and foundry type (which has more antimony than linotype and is even harder). They work real well for double cast bullets. These bullets have a hard cast base and side walls, and a soft nose. These molds were made at one time for the .45-70, among others. You got a bullet that mushroomed well, ut did not lead a bore like soft lead.

Generally I use 1/4 linotype to 3/4 pure lead to make a good alloy for blackpowder cartridge bullets. 50/50 for most handgun bullets.

6. new loader

new loader Member

I had similar questions. See previous discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is linotype lead