1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is limit on powder in the home

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snapthecat, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    What are legal limits on posession of powder, primers,etc.
  2. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

Jul 7, 2008
    The federal limits on possession and transportation are in the reloading manuals and are generous. The state laws may not be and they are the ones to watch for. You could ask the fire department what the limits are, but you might have someone with a search warrant at your door to give you a personal answer. If you have a fellow shooter in the fire department, ask him to check for you.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Nov 30, 2009
    More important than that, check with your insurance provider.
  4. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Mar 23, 2006
    10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

Reprinted with permission from NFPA495-85, Standard for the Manufacture, Transportation, Storage and Use of Explosive Materials, (c) 1985, National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA 02269. This reprinted material is not the complete and official position of the NFPA on the referenced subject, which is represented by the Standard in its entirety.

Recommended Storage of Primers

Storage cabinets containing only primers are recommended. These cabinets should be ruggedly constructed of lumber at least 1" nominal thickness to delay or minimize the transmission of heat in the event of fire. SAAMI recommends against storing primers in sealed or pressurized containers.

Keep your storage and use area clean. Make sure the surrounding area is free of trash or other readily combustible materials.

Be sure your storage area is free from any possible sources of excessive heat and is isolated from open flame, furnaces, water heaters, etc. Do not store primers where they can be exposed to direct sunlight. Avoid storage in areas where mechanical or electrical equipment is in operation.

Do not store primers in the same area with solvents, flammable gases, or highly combustible materials. Store primers only in their original factory containers. Do not transfer the primers from this approved container into one which is not approved. The use of glass bottles, fruit jars, plastic or metal containers, or other bulk containers for primer storage is extremely hazardous.

Do not smoke in areas where primers are stored. Place appropriate "No Smoking" signs in these areas.

Do not store primers in any area where they might be exposed to gun fire, bullet impact, or ricochets.

Do not store primers with propellant powders or any other highly combustible materials so as to avoid involving primers in a fire as much as possible.

Observe all regulations regarding quantity and methods of storing primers.

The Following Recommendations on Storage and Handling of Sporting Ammunition Primers are Issued by the National Fire Protection Association Battery March Park, Quincy, MA 02269 and reprinted with their permission:
  5. William681

William681 Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Southport NC
    Sporting powders are considered flamables and not explosives.
    In their original container and not confined they merely flame up.
    The can of gasoline for your mower in the garage is far more dangerous.
    Black Powder has different properties and may require a magazine if you keep it in large quanities.(+25lbs)
    With 16 years of Firefighting experience it was not primers, powder, or ammunition that scared us, it was the loaded round in a rifle, shotgun, or pistol that might cook off.
    Bill Boston
  6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    We (the city) has a 25# limit so I have a neighbor holding the other 25# of Solo 1000. And my brother has about that much Nitro 100 in his basement. I never got around to asking about primers.

7. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    As William681 said smokeless and primers are not really a problem, but black powder is. I keep my black powder and primers in a 1/4 plate steel storage with dividers in it.

Shoot Straight, Shoot Often

Rich S
  8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Oxford MA
    I have found that it depends on the City/Town you live in how much you can store. In the town that I lived in last it was 15 lbs in this one it is 10 lbs.

This state also requires a permit to store powder. Primers I never asked about, they don't however require a permit in this state to store primers.

Bob Lawless
  9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    As much as I can get in my car and as much ans a 20 x 20 room can hold. To hell with the state and the gov.
  10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Howell, MI
    What powder?!?! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.