1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is left at Vandalia ATA site?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mette56, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Buildings, trees, traps, sidewalks? Does it still look like it did back then???

Are there plans for offices and Hall of Fame to relocate or will the ATA stay in Vandalia?

I'd like to visit the old grounds, HoF and eat at Christy's.

Thanks in advance...

milt

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

It's been a little while since I was by the "old grounds" but no trap houses, no concrete spiders, not many vendor buildings left. Just the main offices etc. It's just a sad sight of a site. I've had some very good times there......

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

Was just there a couple months ago. No traps. Few trees. The vendor buildings are still there. The HOF/Offices are still there, but it sounds like the HOF would like to move. It's pretty sad to look out the back door of the HOF and see a fence instead of trap fields.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Well actually, that's why I asked. I've said goodbye to too many trap clubs that I loved and I'm gettin old and too damn sentimental for my own good. Sometimes visiting the "grave of an old friend" is just too much.

I thought I might get a cutting from the tree behind old bank 28, sprout it and plant it on my farm. Probably should ask 1st.

5. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

I feel your pain mette. Some of my fondest memories in my 30+ years on this earth happened on that chunk of ground. It can be hard to think about. Wait until you actually visit. It's harder yet.

If that tree is still there, it will be behind the fence on airport property. I doubt you'll get permission to obtain a cutting. You should have done that at the last GA in Vandalia.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I wish I had thought of a tree cutting at the last Vandalia Grand. I do know where the old sign over the locker room is now located.

Pat Ireland

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I bet the city of Vandalia misses us very much as well.

8. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

Here's a link to my web site that has a lot of pictures from Vandalia. I'll have to go up and get some new ones to update my collection. There was a flurry of activity after they shut it down but then things slowed. Other than mining lead I haven't noticed much going on. It looks like they're running underground utilities on the West end and moving East.

Shoot well,

Jim

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great pictures brings back some great memories. Thanks

10. C1

C1 Member

If you want a great piece of history, the Hall of Fame has some rollerball pens that I made for them out of some old chairs from the dinning hall. They can be had for a donation to the HOF or they have some on the silent auction at the Grand this year. They come in a very nice engraved box with an explanation of the Vandalia experience. Who knows who sat in that chair and ate breakfast before they won the GAH.

Gary Riecke

11. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Great photos K-80 Jim. Thanks.

bluedsteel

12. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

Great pics.

13. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

Thanks for the pics. You should save them somehow for the future. These young punks shooting today don't know what memories are made of and you brought them back for me. I wish my last ride would have been on one of those tractor drawn wagons, then plant me where shot would fall on my grave. 1975-2005, I missed a couple but it was my heaven on earth.

14. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Gary,

Thanks for the heads up on the pens. My Dad's birthday is Sept 6th (he'll be 82) and I can't think of a better gift.

John

15. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'm making my first trip to Sparta this year. I'm sure it will be a little overwhelming.

Looking at the great photos it made me wonder, how many traps were there at Vandalia?

SW

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary Riecke understated the quality of the pens and display box they come in. I have one on my desk and it is beautiful. I give them, without reservations, my very highest recommendation.

Pat Ireland

17. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Might be time for the ATA to concider moving from Ohio, the HOF and Offices would be better served if there was actuall shooting events occuring on the grounds.

Ronbo

18. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

mtte56

Sorry but Cristy's closed several years before shooting ceased at Vandalia. There was a Chinese Food place in the location last time I noticed.

19. lisalong

lisalong Member

I visited the site on the way home from the first grand in Sparta. Unfortunately, there was still trash in the cans on the upper porch of the building from the grand the previous year. No one had bothered to properly clean up the property after the last grand. I was terribly disappointed in the condition of the building/property.

20. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I miss the Stubbies Subs across the street in the plaza....the best hot subs with the banana peppers.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how many traphouses at the ata grounds in vandalia ohio