1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is important to you in your gun club?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Just curious what you all consider when choosing a gun club to shoot at and to be a member. What's impotant to you? Number of ranges? Price? Social events, shooting events, Distance?

2. K80Dude

K80Dude Member

Good quality people that are a pleasure to shoot with and be around. Nothing like snobs or load mouths to make a club a poor place to shoot at.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

1. Capable and attentive management

2. Capable and attentive trap personel

3. Place to do patterning

4. Knowledgeable target setting

5. An active promotional committee

6. Part of the promotional committee's job to report activities and results to the local newspaper sports reporter

7. Good but simple food

8. Good club newsletter (newsletter should be sent to the local paper's sports reporter

9. Good grounds maintenance

10. Good trap machine mechanic

11. Starting shoots and other activities on time

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

People and prices.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Maybe, just maybe instead of being "member", become a "volunteer member" and be a part of the club that will be the best it can be??

Curt

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The people at the club are most important. In a practical sense, I can become involved with my local club (7 miles from my home) or the next closest club, nearly two hours away.

I travel between Ohio, Florida, Virginia to Illinois. I do what I can to become involved in every club I attend. I walk in the door, get classified ans ask if I can help in any way. If I am not assigned a job to do, I find one than needs to be done. I would rather be working a little bit rather than sit around and complain about how slow the shoot is going.

Pat Ireland

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Barry has a good list and it helps to remind yourself of those kinds of things when you look at it from the the service side of the counter. Those are all things I like to help with to make my club a place people want to go.

I'm not whining about being overworkered and underpaid either, actually there is no pay other than I consider working for the club as a part of my shooting hobby. Our group of volunteers has accomplished quite a bit in the last few years and being part of that team really is fun.

So the thing that is important to me about my gun club is that I do have a sense that it is my club and that I am helping it. For any of you out there looking for more than just shooting, jump in and volunteer some real time at your local club, it can be a very rewarding experience.

8. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

The people are mainly what make a club good, bad, or indifferent. But, my favorite club has one big advantage over the others that I belong to... As a full member, I'm given a key to the gate and access to the grounds to go fishing, shoot trap/skeet, use the archery range, etc. during non-public hours. It's all done on the honor system, and while I'm sure there are people that abuse the privilege, there's enough honest folks for the club to keep it around.

--Dan

9. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Convenience is first. My trap and skeet club is withing minutes of my work. I have time to shoot before dark after work. By convenience I also mean good operating hours. A club is no good if it isn't open when I need it. With my skeet and trap club I want one big enough to have other shooters there to shoot with if I want to with enough fields to pick one by myself if I want to. We also have someone there to run it and keep all the machines working. It is important that it be affordable.

10. Redfish

Redfish Member

Welcome to the "NEW" Silver Dollar Trap Club in Odessa, Fl. Come and join us.

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

distance from my home, and quality of the equipment (Voice Release) and friendly people

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I once had a friend that considered it part of his duty to assist in any way he could at the club. By his own words, not mechanically inclined but the best "go-fer" you'll ever need, always the last guy to leave the club and insisted on hauling the trash to the dumpster as his last job of the day, wasn't above picking up anything some fool threw on the ground and if he saw him throw it, would ask them if they lost this or were just trying to create another dump. A bit crude but it reminded them to throw their junk where it belonged. His ambition rubbed off on quite a few and made the club much more fun for all involved. Wish we had a bunch like him.

Big Jack

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

All of the above - plus a comfortable porch with good visability for us geezers to watch you future champions do your stuff.

14. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

What about shooting events? Do you want the club to host shoots? Are multiple fields important or small clubs better for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.