1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is going on with the SCTP program?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimbotrap, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

What is happening at the SCTP prgram, now underway????

It is refressing to see the wonderful ATA, which most of us are members, has not anything in the 2008 program referring to this program.

It my understanding they expect over 1500 entrants. But alas our wonderful association does not even acknowledge them.

They will be hard pressed to have 1500 entries on Wednesday, especially if you
    deduct the carry over from the SCTP program.

Unless I missed something, and I must admit I am not too intuned too what is going on today. But it seems the ATA is only concerned with attendance. Not what might be the future of our sport. - Jim

2. djcuda

djcuda Member

The SCTP shot prior to the prelims for the grand.I do not know the reason for this , but that is the way it was done this year.
    Dave

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I believe there were around 1800 shooters there, and apparently it has more shooters than the Grand American. Apparently that is the first time for this to happen! It's great to see more and more of us kids showing up!
    -Trappy

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jim, the ATA not only "acknowledged" the young shooters here who participated in the SCTP event prior to the Grand American, it provided the pullers & setters, the trap mechanics and setters, the line staffing and so on, on other words the vast majority of workers you need to hold a shoot. It was our understanding that the way it was done was the way SCTP wanted it done.

The turnout was great, some of the team scores unbelievably high, Beretta's pizza Monday night plentiful, and though it was plenty hot, I never heard one single person complain about it.

The success of the event has many fathers, including, but not limited to, the SCTP and coaches - many of whom have attended ATA - NRA coaching schools - Mike Hampton Jr who ran the skeet and Sporting Clays events, the ATA who ran the line for trap, the many, many sponsors ranging from the NSSF who started the whole thing and maintains it, through the many industry helpers especially White Flyer, down to the "Joe's Auto Body" local supporters who showed up on a couple of thousand t-shirts. Also critical to the success of the programs are the shooters and parents and the time and money they all spent to enter, and excel in, our sport. It was a great event and everyone had a good time.

Neil

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Neil - Pardon me for my rudeness. Until last year I was involved in the program. The California program originated at our club, by Gail Miller. He
    completely organized the California program with a lot of hard work and dedication. I attended the Grand from the programs inception until last year.
    Due to the loss of our club I am not involved currently. Hope to be back next year. This is the first year our area has not sent teams. But again, we will next year.

I believe you must agree there have been times the ATA ignored this program. I just thought the program should have been recognized in the Grand program.
    Not everyone has knowledge about the benefits of the program. Not only does it introduce a lot of kids that would otherwise not learn about shooting, but the program has many other benefits. The monies generated by the program are beneficial to the sport, not only in fee's but many of the other areas. 3 years ago I took an accounting, as best I could put the numbers together. The
    monies generated by the program were staggering. - Jim

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jim, though I lose my vote an a couple of weeks, I will try ensure that your concerns are addressed in next year's program since you make a valid argument.

Neil

7. djcuda

djcuda Member

Neil thanks for the verification on why The SCTP was seperate from the Grand.I also want to say that the event was run very well by the ATA and the SCTP.
    Thanks Dave

8. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Neil - I wish you the best of luck in making the changes you feel are necessary. And I also want to thank you for all the time and dedication you have put in for the betterment of the sport and its members.

Can't be there to thank you personally, but hope to be back next year. And the best of luck in your shooting. - Jim

9. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

It looked to me as the program is a great success. I was very impressed with the amount of kids shooting and the way the program was run. However, I also questioned why the SCTP was not included in The Grand Program.

10. trapdaddy

trapdaddy TS Member

SCTP management held the National Skeet, Sporting Clays & Trap Championships together at the same venue, Sparta, for the first time. In the past, Skeet & Sporting Clays were held in Texas or New York while the Trap championship has been held at the Grand since the inception year of 2001. This year the events were held on consecutive days ending with the Trap Discipline at the Grand.

I have been associated with SCTP since 2001 and that program resulting in me and five of my kids all joining the ATA, which I knew nothing about prior to SCTP. With that said, I have the highest respect for the ATA. They have consistently outperformed SCTP management every year with the exception of 2005. However, the ATA recognized the problem, took ownership of the problem, issued a written apology to all the coaches and pledged their written support of SCTP. IN other words, the tried to fix the problem instead of just complain! The success of SCTP is due in no small part to the efforts of the ATA.

No one is perfect, but the ATA did the honorable thing and despite the problem, my opinion of the ATA went up because of the classy way it was addressed. Also, I have found, for the most part, the rank & file membership of the ATA has gone out of their way to make my SCTP squads feel welcome at shoots.

I am confident the ATA will solve the issue of recognition in the Grand program.

Thank you Neil, staff and members of ATA, for all your efforts on behalf of my children and the youngsters I coach. I have enjoyed our association!

Jay

11. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Neil

Please explain "though I lose my vote an a couple of weeks". What vote do you lose? EC? You will still have a delegate vote won't you?

Thanks for clearing this up.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.