1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is firewood selling for in your area????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gargoyle!, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

In my area a thrown in the bed truck load sells for $75.00 for a 1/2 cord. 2x4x8 $125 for a cord.4x4x8. What is the cost of firewood in your area and how do they sell it?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Garg... A cord of dry fir, 4X4X8, in Eureka, CA will sell for between $200-$250. A cord of dry oak, also 4x4x8, will run well in excess of $325.00, if you can even find it. In most cases, SEASONED oak is going for $300.00+....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

OOOOWWWWWW. Now that burns. Pun intended.

4. randy-s

randy-s Member

Same here Dan, $250 for softwood and up to $400 for hardwood.

Occasionally I burn hardwood scrap from my cabinet shop, cherry, hickory, oak, maple and walnut. Consider cherry at $5.00 per board foot. A 4'x4'x8' cord is 128 cubic feet. There are 12 board feet in every cubic foot or 1536 board feet in a cord. At $5.00 per b/f it comes out to $7680 per cord. The guys in the shop always wonder why the boss gets so upset when they make "firewood". LOL
    Randy Shelton

5. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Just got the last of mine stacked in the woodshed. Always a great feeling! Let Winter do it's worst! ( Except of course on Sundays for Winter League)
    I paid $225 a cord for seasoned, mixed hardwood, delivered, not stacked.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The best wood fuel value in my area is seasoned Pinon at #300-$350/cord.

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I have a Fisher Grand-pa Bear wood burning stove for sale. It has all the fire brick and a screen. 8" chimney opening in rear. $750. Drop a line if you have interest in it. I'm in NC. Scott (drop the x's)

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Are you asking about new wood or used wood?

Ya know ... if ya burn ash what do you have when your done burning it?

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes but his best firewood is his laminated firewood.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My club delivers it to my driveway for free. Doesn't yours? HMB

11. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Selling for around $50-75 a heaping truckload delivered, not stacked.

I don't buy it............Mr. Stihl and I make our own. I use wood heat exclusively with an outside wood fired boiler. Burn about 5-6 cords / year.

hubcap

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Fir that is dried and ready goes for 175 to 200 a cord from October through the end of January. Oak and Madrone goes for 250 to 300 dried 2 years and a full cord. May through middle of August Fir is from 75 to 125 a cord and Dry Oak and Madrone is 175.00 Per Cord. Needless to say if you wait you pay out the wazoo. Summer prices being what they are it is pretty hard to justify cutting it myself but there is just something about doing it that I really enjoy. Sort of like tearing off a hang nail. Jeff

13. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

14. chessney

chessney TS Member

2 years ago I went nuts and bought a wood burner for my livingroom.Went out to the woods cut and hand split about 2 cords. Used it all the time.Last year I used it about 2 times.I refer to it as my hot tub. A fad that I just had to have!....Ziggy

15. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

How should I know. I'm not an uncivilized peasant. I got central heat!...........Yeah!

16. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

Here in SW Florida it is bout 7 pieces 16in long for $5.00, this all that is usually needed for the 2 weeks of below 70 degre weather we experiance. LOL Mike

17. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have a woodshed that has 3 bays. Each bay holds 7 cords. That is 21 cords in all. I can't afford to pay the gas co what they want per month and thatsthe same with the power co. I know some homes that have $400.00 plus bills for that month. Sorry but I can't do that. Heat pumps and central heat are fine but will not heat as well as a woodstove. A woodstove has on going heat all the time while the others its on and off. If you put your woodstove in the basement and put a hood over it and have your furnace intake take in the heat from the stove with just using the fan it will heat your house at a very little cost. Wood is worth while to burn if you know how to do it. I burn upstairs about 3 cords a year and in the basement in the far side of the house I just put a stove in and I will see how much I burn this year.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mike, I get all mine for free!! Just need to go to jobsite dumpsters and pull out two five gallon buckets full of cut up wood. I must live next door to ya. Break-em all. Jeff

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Here in Indiana you can still get it for $50 a pickup load. That's damn cheap, considering the work involved. I know, years ago I helped my brother sell some. He cleaned out a woods on his property and he had plenty of wood. He decided to cut it up and sell some as firewood for extra money. I think at the time he was getting $35 to $40 a load, he would deliver it and stack it. What a joke. I helped him for a while on the weekends, I know we made less than minimum wage. If you figure wear and tear on trucks and equipment he probably lost money.

Of course after saying all that, you can say that I'm not too bright, because I still cut my own! I've got a couple of trees that have been down a year or two, just waiting to be cut up. The problem is - that it is just too damn hot to cut wood. Late October and the temps are still in the mid 80's. To me anything above freezing is too hot to cut wood. Nothing like being in the woods when it is zero and there is wood to be cut!

20. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

The center of life at the gun club during the winter when I was a boy. The wood was always pick-up from the last storm - and a round of trap was 75 cents.

Today, the gas company furnishes the heat - except when a neighbor cuts down a tree and shares the wood because he doesn't want to pay to have it hauled off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.