1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is down pitch???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smokedapair, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokedapair

smokedapair TS Member

Could someone please tell me what it does Thanks in adv.

2. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

If I understand the question and assume it is in reference to the gun stock, it means the top of the comb slants down toward the front of the gun so that on recoil the stock moves away from your face. The front of the comb pitches down and is not level. As a stock design, it did not appear to catch on widely.

In softball, it is a low ball. Prompts a high fly-ball to the out-field.

In baseball, it is a sinker.

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Shootlow is correct. Sorry Charles. The reason for downpitch is because the butt of the gun needs to meet the chest/shoulder pocket correctly. Also, more down pitch to some extent will reduce muzzle jump (and resulting face slap) during recoil. Jake

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

shootlow and jakearoo are correct

John C. Saubak

5. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Shootlow, Jake and cowboy...Guess I'll stick to golf. You guys are a tough room. In golf, a down pitch with a wedge must be the reverse of an up-pitch and would be a bad shot in everybody's book.

Shootlow, I hit low pitches in softball with an up-swing and the infield fly rule normally covers it. Everyone knows cowboys do not play softball.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The term applies to the scorer. If a large male calls lost with a deep voice, that is down pitch. If a small lady calls lost with a high voice, that is up pitch. A few scorers may call lost the same way I sing. That is with no pitch.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.