1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is CA law on lead shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jagrdawger, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I am thinking, but not to hard, about accepting an offer to take a 1-2 year military assignment in the Ft Hunter-Liggett area. I have 2 questions:

What are the laws on lead shot in the area for hunting and trap shooting?

What are the opportunities in the area for trap or other clays games?

The answers to these question will determine if I think any harder about this.

Thanks

2. ajc

ajc Member

Someone with more knowledge will likely chime in, but here's my understanding. Lead shot is legal in most areas of CA for hunting. However, I believe it's illegal in the areas populated by the California Condor. If Hunter-Liggett is not in a restricted areas, has got to be close.

Nearest trap ranges that throw registered targets can be found in Atascadero and Santa Maria. In the central valley there are several including Newman, Kingsburg, Bakersfield, and Stockton. Further to the North, you've got a public facility in Santa Clara county (South San Jose), and Sunnyvale.

Some of these facilities also have skeet fields. There's a sporting clays club in Morgan Hill.

None of these are a short drive from HL, but the Fort is pretty much a good distance from anything.

3. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You could always ask them.

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.