1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is buyer/seller etiquette ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Perhaps this should be in the For Sale or Trade category but I don't have anything I'm selling so it's here. As a potential buyer of an item on this site, when you are the first to reply to the sale item's owner, ask some questions and ask for more pictures, should you expect to be first in line to purchase the item . . . . . or does the seller not obligated and have the "right" to sell to anyone he chooses - perhaps someone who has or is asking fewer questions ?

I recently was the first to respond to an item - but did, in fact, ask some questions via the site and P.M.'s and the questions were answered. I then asked for more pictures to help clarify the seller's statement about a "few nicks." I never did the pictures. Instead I got an email that said the gun had been sold.

I'll live without the gun, it wasn't a "great" deal - more in the category of probably a nice gun at perhaps a fair but slightly above market price if my research was correct. Without going into the verbal contract issue . . . that is saying you'll buy an item and then backing or stringing the seller along . . . should a buyer who makes prompt responses and follow up have the inside track. OBT, the gun was sold at below the first asking price as the seller lowered the requested price midway through the thread.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Prompt Communication is a must and that goes for both parties involved. I think its the most important part of the deal.

3. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

First "Ill take it" wins...Offers of less than asking price; next in line if no "Ill take its".....questions get you nothing but answers....

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

first person with the $$$ takes it, regardless if they pay the seller's asking price or they haggled with them...the seller played it safe and bypassed you because how does he know you are a real serious buyer or just a tire kicker?

Until you have the $$ in hand and fully 100% commit to buy the item, you are just a window shopper.

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

mail received in the following order: "send me some more pictures" or "i'll take it!" which are you going to respond to first? it's a sellers market, not a shoppers, negotiators or picture lookers. good luck with it

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My pet peeve:

Someone sends a PM and buys the item without posting to take it on the thread. this leaves everyone else in limbo.

If you want to lowball someone, that is fine. You should post "PM sent with offer". If the seller doesn't take you up he says "still available".

I got snookered on a nice deal on another forum where the guy went right to PM and bought it, when it appeared to be for sale yet.

Another pissoff is not modifying the title to say sold.

So the etiquette should be what you would expect to be fair as a buyer.

HM

7. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So . . . . for those of you who are saying "you snooze-you lose" you're advocating taking a chance on sending someone $1,500 ( in this case ) to someone you don't know nor have never talked to on the possible off chance the gun will be in as good or better than the brief description originally posted.

For those that have sold often and provide a COMPLETE initial description that may be an option. For example, if Gerry Addison ever lists another gun I am interested in I will call him and tell him I want it. His descriptions are always detailed and accurate - condition is always as good or better than the description he provides, and he provides many photos to disclose the gun condition.

But for someone you don't know with limited or no previous posts do you roll the dice ? Especially if there is no offer of a three day inspection from the seller and he hasn't provided a phone number ? So . . . back to the original question - if you provide the seller a phone number in addition to a number of emails and P.M.'s should you, at least, deserve a phone call or an email asking if you want the gun or it will be sold to another buyer ?

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Those that risk, get the gun.

9. beaker100

beaker100 Member

cash beats can you send some picts. there is no pm's, emails, or phone calls required on a maybe. jmho doug

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

For 1500 it can't be very rare, maybe another one will show up for sale from someone your sure of and you will feel better about it. Mia has it right. Bill

11. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I've bought and sold a few guns on this site.

Asking a few questions and requesting more info and pictures gets you in line to get questions answered and info and pictures sent, nothing more.

Danny

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Here's how I've always handled it:

The first respondent gets first "dibs", but I won't fool around. If you ask a question, I'll answer it. If another person makes an offer while you are reading my answer to your question, I'll send you a note. The note will read, "I've been offered the full price, if you respond that you'll take it for that, it's yours." This at least gives the first responder a chance. I look at it this way, if you were holding it at the store, you could ask a bunch of questions with no one else snatching it out of your hands.

No matter how it is handled, someone will be upset if there are two interested parties.

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I had a guy buy a receiver form me and over the phone conversation he asked about me having anymore of them. I did and told him what it was. He said he would think about it and get back to me in a day or two. Three days later i advertised it on here and sold it within 30 minutes. Then i get a call from the guy that i offered it to a couple days before stating that he had already mailed me the money for both receivers. He said he had left me a message on my cell phone the night before but i never got any message from him. Now who gets the second receiver? I checked the post mark date of the mailed money order and low and behold he had mailed it the morning before i listed it for sale here. Communication is the key. It was a bad deal for me and the guy that thought he bought it fair and square on here.

14. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

thats why it seems to me always have a phone number to communicate your thoughts or intentions,i mean everyone i,ve talked to on here seems very honest

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

An item advertised "for sale" is "for sale" until someone says "I'll take it". That is, once a buyer makes that statement, he/she is obligated to buy the item and the seller is obligated to sell it to that buyer (assuming the asking price was met).

Three day inspections and other agreed upon conditions of course still apply.

Not that complicated really.

bluedsteel

16. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Sometimes it turns out to be an advantage to miss an item, particularly if there is some genuine concern or uncertainty as to what you might get.

I have purchased four or five guns on this forum and let some others pass. I usually go with a PM asking for a phone number and if there is reluctance to furnish one, "sayonara dude". The main thing is for both parties to be above board with each other....my experiences have each turned out entirely satisfactorily for both of us and they were not exactly low $$ purchases. Telephone calls are as close as you can get to face to face and you can gain a lot of information indirectly by talking in person. Having sold some items as well, if I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the buyer I have sent items prior to receiving the $$, although not with guns.

I always hope that this forum is as safe as you can get without face to face contact, so always make every effort to keep it that way.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.