1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT is bunker Trap??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yvonne, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Saw a few threads on Bunker Trap.....What is it and how is it played?

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Bunker Trap, aka Olympic Trap, aka International Trap

3. bt 99 maxxx

bt 99 maxxx TS Member

where would the closest place be to shoot bunker. i live in dayton ohio.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I shoot ATA with my lead pipe weighted 34" Unsingle, and Bunker with a 30" flat rib sporter/skeet barrel on the same frame/stock. As a dumb old trap shooter, if I can change gears, anyone can. See the target, and make it go away. (SIMPLE, like me!)

Being in good shape really helps in the Intl' games. Being YOUNG ain't a bad idea either.

Try the above listed site for bunker fields near you.

Look at this site for info.

http://members.tripod.com/~gentryrj/otrap.html

5. lowsix

lowsix TS Member

As far as Dayton is concerned, the nearest club that I know of is Fairfield Sportsmen's Association (Fairfield, OH). Contact is Charlie Wentzel.

6. lowsix

lowsix TS Member

Well, try this link.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

There is a series of interesting articles written by Les Greevey on Shotgunreport.com that you will find interesting reading. Olympic or Bunker Trap is the most demanding of all the clay target sports.

here is the link:

http://shotgunreport.com/Olympic/OlympicIndex.html

TB

8. Satch

Satch TS Member

I read the Greevey article American vs Olympic trap and it sounds like once the traps are set according to one of the "9 schemes" in the rule book, there's no variablity in presentation throughout a round from any single trap. That is, if you get a right from Station 1 it will always be the same angle, height, distance. Is that correct?

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Yes ... but each shooter will see the exact same targets throughout the round and depending on the computer and the setting of the computer the shooters may or may not see them in the exact same order.

Each shooter throughout the 25 targets should see 2 left 2 right and 1 center machine target but ... well ... try to keep them all straight in the head and you will go crazy.

10. Baber

Baber TS Member

There are 5 groups of 3 traps. You will get 2 rights, 2 lefts and 1 center trap bird off of each group. You shoot one Station (or Groups) at a time. Shoot one bird then move to the next one and so forth. As the trap angles are fixed every one sees the same bird. The order in which you receive it is scramble by the computer. It does not pay to try to remember what target is left.

TB

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hey schatz.....komen zee mit me zur mine bunker!

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

yvonne,

It's great fun, that's what it is!

13. Satch

Satch TS Member

Ok, so other than much more extreme angles, variation in height, faster speeds, harder and thinner targets, and being limited to 24 grams of shot, sounds pretty easy.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Satch,

You DO get two shots, though.

15. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Just to add to the above,

International trap has 9 schemes, generally set randomly (schemes that is)and changed daily(depending on number of fields available, number of rounds, I don't have my rule book handy but I believe there's one other factor). All shooters shoot the same targets set on the same machines on the same feilds with schemes changed at the end of the day.

15 machines locked down. 2 lefts 2 rights and 1 straight away are thrown from each station.Targets are thrown in a random sequence selected by a computerized control station. The top of the trap house (bunker) is level with the shooting station and the front lip is 15 meters from the front of the station. The shooter has ten seconds to call for the target after the previous shooter shoots. After the next shooter after you shoots you then move to the next station....you move to the next station after each shot. (that is where the difficulty in trying to remember which targets have been thrown lies).

The target is set to 73 meter line, and elevation is set from 1.5 meters to 3.5 meters, 10 meters out. angles are then set (again I don't have my book in front of me) generally from 25-45 degrees for lefts and rights, to 10-degrees left or right on strait aways. Angles and Height vary at each station on each machines. It's a trigger pull, when you call for the target it is thrown within a second. Speed will vary depending on altitude.

2 shots at each target are permitted except for finals. The top six make it into the finals as there are 6 to a squad. In Finals only 1 shot is permitted.

Ported barrels are permitted, Release triggers are not. O/Us are the general rule. As is a fitted gun. If you have a malfunction (you get 2, per round gun/ammo the target is called lost. If your gun malfunctions you have 3 minutes to fix it or make up the round later. This is where the removeable triggers come into play.

In competition there a 3 referees, 1 official and 2 on either side watching targets assisting the official ref.

It sounds more difficult than it is. Shooting descent scores is not a problem. Shooting excellent scores consistantly is where the challenge lies. Those at the top of the game are true athletes that sacrifice and train.

As an example, at the 2007 Nationals Held in Kerrville, there were 95 men and 31 women, shooting a 250 target program. Out of 1260 rounds there were 17 25 straits shot. something along the lines of 1.35 %, and that was from the top in the nation.

Garry

16. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

The distance thrown while setting the targets is 76 meters. The release is instantaneously!!!!! I usually tell folks that they come out on the "P" of "Pull". Garry is right that trying to keep track is all but impossible and the best in the world say that they do not want to know.

Sporting clay shooters do very well at it. Most ATA shooters do not come back. Definitely need to leave your feeling and ego at the door on this one!!

Jack

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Jack is right... There is no delay in the call like CVR's You say pull and its gone. Its the most demanding clay target game there is.

TB

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Jack ... it can also be said that most ATA shooters who try sporting clays never go back to sporting clays as well either.

19. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

yep, 76 meters and instantaneous...that's the word I was looking for in my sleepy brain at the time.

Thanks Jack

Garry

20. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The up/down angles seem reminiscent of wobble trap. However, someone mentioned on another site, that you needed a gun which had a flatter POI. Why wouldn't you want a higher shooting gun in order to help pick up the target a little quicker? The writer indicated that the flatter shooting gun was used because of the various target presentations.

PS - I've only watched a couple of rounds of bunker, so I don't have basis of judgement.

Thanks.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bunker trap computer
bunker trap shooting
bunker traphouse
is bunker trap the same as international trap
trap vs bunker trap
what is a good score in bunker trap