1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is better for clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darincraft, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darincraft

darincraft Member

I am building an 1100 specifically for sporting clays. Currently it has a full 30" vent rib barrel. I have the opportunity to buy a step rib 28" barrel that is full choked as well.

Which one of these barrels would be better for my purpose? Or would I be better off with something completely different?

Thanks
    Darin

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

choke tube barrel

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

30" Bbl and have Briley tubes installed. You will shoot IC mostly and tighter from time to time.

4. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

For me, a 28" step rib opened up to .018 constriction would be the cats azz.

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

90% of sporting autos are probably 30". Three chokes is all you will ever need for sporting with an auto. .10-.20-.30

6. darincraft

darincraft Member

Thanks for the replies. So essentially the rib makes no difference compared to the choke? The reason I ask such a rookie question is I have always shot with one gun a Winchester 1400 with a 28" mod and loved it. Now it's old, it's tired and starting to malfunction. When I set out to find a new gun I fell into a Beretta AL391 Urika Gold Trap and a field grade Remmington 1100 for basically nothing.

I know the Beretta will serve my trap purposes and probably do great in clays, but then the 1100 would just sit in the safe. Instead of that I want to make it my clays gun.

Darin

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I don't think you will be happy with the Rem for Sporting Clays, they don't seem to hold up..................GOOD LUCK

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Darin, I too say get a 30 inch choke tube barrel for your ll00 and get a skeet,Improved cylinder, and a Light Mod (or Modified) and you will not need any other chokes. Now go out and have some fun. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

The design has been around for almost 50 years. I am sure there is something to say about that. Just got to keep it clean.

Darin, we'll go out use both the 1100, 391 and find out what you like best.

Your Brother
    Bryan

10. darincraft

darincraft Member

Tinman and Bryan
    thanks guys I'll check the chokes that came with the 391 and right now I am in the market for a barrel with interchangable tubes. I'm pretty shy when it comes to a 30" bbl, it seems like a lot of steel to swing around when I'm used to 28" but I'll give it a shot.

As far as the reliability of the 1100 not holding up. Thats pretty laughable, but hey there's at least one guy in every group. Although, I'm used to them saying the 1911 is an antequated design not the 1100 being unreliable.

Thanks again Gentlemen
    Darin

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I would try using the 1100 for trap and the 391 for sporting clays. Plan B if you can get used to the 30" barrel have Briley choke tube it. Plan C buy a 28" choke tubed barrel for the 1100, then sell the 30" barrel.

Jason

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

30 inches is a good length for a sporting barrel in a Beretta 391, but too heavy in a Remington 1100. An improved cylinder fixed choke would be good for sporting clays; modified a little tight; full way too tight.

13. darincraft

darincraft Member

Thanks,
    I've been doing some research and I'm starting to think that a choke tubed 28" might be the best all around fit for the 1100.

Waverider, you suggested the 1100 for trap and the 391 for clays. Why is that?

I have experience in both, but up until this point I used one gun for both events a 1400 with a 28" mod. Granted I killed them at 16 yards but put me anywhere else and I fell off sharply. Same goes for clays. Up close I killed them, but one you got to the far away shots I was lucky to get 2-3 out of 6.

Thanks
    Darin

14. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

My team mates shoot both. They use 30 barrels. Out of the two the better shooters like the 391 with choke tubes and they shot the 1100's up thru last year. I myself for sporting like 32" barrels and a lot of guys at my club shoot them.

15. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

If it were me I'd go with a 30" choke tubed barrel. I wouldn't be afraid to get mod and IM chokes with it. The courses around my place can throw some real long sporting targets. I was always told its better to have a little extra choke than not enough.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Please!!! dont hack up that 28" fixed full Step rib barrel...that is a rare and desirable bird you have there...just do like a few have mentioned to get a 26" or 28" Remchoked tube barrel...save that rare barrel as they are far and few between in the length and style

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.