1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is best semi-auto for TRAP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim_Gary, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

What in your experience is the best semi-auto for trap shooting? May also shoot some Sporting Clay or skeet with it, but its primary use would be for Trap.

2. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I'd rather press a dedicated skeet or sporting gun into service for casual trap, than try to use a dedicated trap gun for casual skeet & sporting. The only autos I've used extensively are Beretta 391's and there are no warts on them. If nothing else, I'd think the shim system alone makes them superior to other makes. I guess a 30" or 32" stepped rib 391 comes closest to filling the bill.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

ah...Yup!!!

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

The one that enables you to break the most targets.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use a 303 for all those. I do change the high rib barrel when not shooting trap however

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Jim,
    Contact Tron. He shoots all the games pretty well for a little weasel faced bastard. He likes the Berettas; but some models more than others. He works on them too.

It will be difficult to get the kind of trigger pull you can with a decent O/U and choke will be a compromise when shooting trap doubles or SC.

Don Verna

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Best auto for American Trap? Remington 1100 or 1187 without a doubt.

8. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I shoot a Benelli Super Sport II (12g) for my auto gun. My not be the best to some, but has been for me.

FWIW, I soot a Rem 1100 (.410g) for small gauge skeet. It's a fine shooter & hits where I look. Fun gun for skeet...

Good Luck:

Jack

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

For a dedicated trapgun nothing beats a Winchester Super-X-or anything but a new 1100!!

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

"Weasel faced bastard"? Looks like I'm moving up in the world! Dverna, I'm surprised your name hasn't appeared on any of the homosexual threads that have been popping up as of late. Anyway, if you're mostly shooting Trap singles and not serious about Sporting or Skeet, then take your pick....any that fit you will do. If you're going to get serious about Sporting Clays, then, hands down go with the Beretta auto.

JMHO!

11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Beretta hands down, I shoot a AL 391 Optima Trap as a back up gun when my shoulder acts up and a 30" 391 Urika 2 Sporting Optima for skeet, sporting and 5-stand. These are target crushing guns. Though, just my opinion, the extended Beretta Optima factory tube are the best factory out there. The Remmy's have been out there for ages I can't dispute that but, what auto is leading the sporting scene for the past years. Don't think it's a Remmy.

All around I'd say the Urika Parallel Target will work for you. Nothing adjustable about a Remmy.

12. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I shoot a 391 that Tron put an adjustable butt plate on and I do ok at that BGC dverna leads shots at. I like the semi because the reduced recoil has helped me stay in the gun and scores improved. It has had some issues on second shell in doublesis only complaint.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Remington 1100 or 1187.

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

None of them. You have to clean them!

Before you start using any gun on trap, borrow a semi auto and an o/u or top single and clean each of them. If you decide that cleaning a dirty semi auto is fun compared to an O/U then buy one of the semis listed in the preceeding postings. If you find cleaning the semi a pain in the a,, then buy an O/u

15. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Remington 1100 no doubt.

Seems Don knows Tron pretty well.

Jim

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Remington 1100, plus it has a trigger which is easy to fine tune. HMB

17. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The best semi-auto for trap is the one with which you can shoot your best scores.

I like my 1100 TB and 11/87 Premier trap. They need to be cleaned often but this is very easy to do. Using a clean powder like E3 helps. Parts are readily available from Remington at the Grand or by mail.

I believe that Leo Harrison shot an 1100 fairly well as did a number of the Remington pros in the hall of fame.

A used older 1100 TB with a step rib fixed full choke barrel can sometimes be had for under $600 which is IMO one of the best deals in trapshooting.

Ed Ward

18. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Ive been shooting Auto's for quite a while and Ive shot alot of them, I use a Remington 1100 T Trap highly modified for my 16's and a Winchester SX1 fixed Full for Handicap and Games. The SX1 is a anvil, it'll take anything you give it and then some, push the envelope on a Remington and it'll break. The Beretta's Ive owned shot a little too high for my taste and I was always telling myself stay under the bird. But with their 3" chamber breaking was never a problem, the radius for your hand was cut too close for me too_One other thing about the SX1, I pick up my Remington and it feels nose heavy, maybe its the Hasting Barrel, Beretta's have all their weight in the stock and feel "whippy", but the SX1 feels Good, very well balanced,and no recoil very forgiving, even with heavy loads.

For a gun that will do it all Id say a 391 Parallel Comb.A friend of mine decided to start shooting 2 years ago and thats what I recommended to him too, He broke his first 25 straight last spring with it.

Here's a pic of my 1100, Graco did the Stock and the Hastings barrel.
    sarge75x_2008_1004.jpg

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Let's see. I've owned several dozen Super-X's, about as many 1100's, plenty of Beretta's and a few Benelli's. That said, the 1100's are easy to shoot but hard to keep in one piece. Before Timney started making real release triggers for them I always needed a spare or two whenever attending any major shoot. Never hurts to carry a spare link, gas system and an extra bolt. Last time I went to a major shoot (the last Eastern Zone in Hamilton Ontario around 1975),I thought two complete guns were enough-wrong. Didn't Leo trash one every year and start with a new one?

That said, my switch to a Super-X was long overdue. Very reliable, fabulous release triggers, excellent barrels (especially ones with high impacts-they came two ways). Drawbacks include a gas system that corroded easily,(that situation along with fragile bolt buffers has since been resolved),stocks that were often cast for a left hand shooter and a grip that made it nearly impossible for anyone with small hands to comfortably reach the trigger.

Berettas are very reliable but have crappy triggers. Gas system is reliable and easy to clean. Beretta never seems to get their stock act together. Worst adjustable comb hardware, abrupt grip and stocks that fit almost no-one. Barrels that are way too light for Trapshooting with a generally too flat impact.

Benelli's are probably one of the finest field guns available but shoot way too flat for any clay target sport. Ease of disassembly, total reliability but barrels that are way light. Not to be considered as a clay target gun.

So give me a Super-X anytime. The heart of any auto is the trigger and the SX-1 is the finest ever made. They also tend to function properly, have gorgeous wood and enough weight to feel like a real trapgun. Ask Pete McCall!!

20. RDM

RDM TS Member

I prefer my 1100 w/ a 30" full, it has been very reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta semi auto for trap

best semi auto for trap

best semi auto for trap shooting
best semi auto shot gun for skeet

best semi auto trap shotgun

best semi for trap
best semiauto for trap

semi auto for trap