1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is best POI for one eyed shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke-um, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

What is the best POI for a one eyed shooter,and is a low rib or high rid gun better?

2. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Banned User Banned

i shoot a 50/50 low rib gun if it helps

3. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Nora knows - works for me.

Doyal

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

There is no answer here for that question.. It all
    depends on how you develop your swing.. and your style of shooting.. Do you pull thru..and shoot quickly.. or measure the lead..?? Do you float targets.. or cover them up..????

5. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I shoot one-eye and I like high rib and ~13 inches high. I like to float the target and this type of setup allows me to do that. To each his own........

6. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I like to shoot right at the target,on lead no float.

7. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Read what PerazziBigBore said.,,,,,and reread again.

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As PeraziBigBore said, there is no answer to your question. It does not matter whether you shoot with both eyes or one eye, POI is entirely and totally a personal thing. You have to set it where it works for you, and it does not matter one whit what works for some one else. There is no best, or worst, or anything in between. Only where you are comfortable and targets break for you, whatever the POI turns out to be.

Jim R

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Best point of impact for ANYBODY is where the target is!

MK

10. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

I,ve been a two eyed shooter all my life but started cross firing was just looking for a place to start. I'm sorry.

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Start with your original POI and then IF it is too high drop it 3inches at a time until it works.

There is a very good chance the POI you are currently shooting will continue to work. If you have questions PM me. pk

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

No unknownone, it's where the target is going to be.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Her forehead.

-S&M Snyder

14. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

smoke-um

The problem of cross-firing is really separate from any issues of POI. This is usually caused by a change in eye dominance (i.e., if you are right handed and your left eye becomes dominant. In such cases, you really have two choices to correct this. One, you can become a "one eyed" shooter, closing or covering the left (dominant) eye, and letting the right eye continue to be the sighting eye, or you can choose to use one of many devices on your shotgun which prevent the left eye from seeing the bead (these are usually stick on "blinders" for the rib, or something like one of the tunneled bead set ups which only allow the right eye to see the bead. The advantage to these devices is that they still allow you to keep both eyes open, but do help prevent the left eye from dominating the "sight picture" and throwing your aim off. No change in the guns POI should or would be required in either case, as long as you were on target before the change in eye dominance. Of course, you could also learn to shoot left handed to match the new dominant eye, but that is very difficult for most right handers, and might not work out in any case.

Jim R

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Everyone is different, what works for you is the POI you need. Listen to Phil Kiner.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. superump

superump TS Member

I have been a one eyed shooter all my life and a shoot a mid rib adjustable and its 70/30. I love to stay under the bird so I can see it at all times but thats how I have always shot.

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I would not worry about 1 or 2 eyed shooting until I was sure that #1 you are NOT bead checking--#2 your gun is actually shooting where you think it is, maybe you have lost (gained)some weight--changed ammo-reloads-different choke tubes- extra clothing (winter) or any one of a dozen other things. Try practicing mounting your gun dressed as you will to shoot, visualize a trap field & your normal hold, mount your gun with your eyes closed then open only the eye over the bbl. to check that you are looking straight down the bbl. & not off to one side. If you are off to one side try to determine why, maybe have a shooting pardner watch to help, if you find something there,, work on correcting that. Try this practice routine many times until it becomes automatic & comfortable, maybe 25---50 times a day (night) for a week or at least a few days before you shoot the next time. Don't rush-take the same amount of time between practice mounts that you would have when shooting on a full squad so you don't get tired. But change only ONE thing at a time when you shoot, if you don;t find the right thing the 1st time try something different next week. Usually if we (shooters) just slow down & go back to basics we can find & correct our problems. And as Pat I.says DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS---LOL Ross Puls

18. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I shoot with tape all the across my left lens and keep my left eye open. My POI is 21" i kept raising the comb until i was making smoke and still able hit flat targets. I hold 15-18" over the house for 16s on the house for 27yrds and 12" over the house or so for doubles. My scores have been up and down the past couple years due to weight loss/gain/loss. Hope this helps Steve Wolf

19. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

WHAT DOES NORA SAY ABOUT THIS?.............SMOKIT

20. windyflat

windyflat Member

Shooting two eyes I seem to need a gun that shoots a full pattern high. let's say I grab a BT 99 off the rack with a regular stock no adj comb. two eyes open I won't hit a damn thing with it. Same gun shooting one eye I can break'em no problem. Not sure why...

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best one eyed shotgun shooting

best rib for a one-eyed trap shooter

one eyed shotgun shooting

trap guns for one eyed shooter

what is the best poi for trap shooting

what kind of gun does nora ross shoot