1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT IS BEST ELECTRIC SHAVER FOR A TOUGH BEARD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

hELLO:
    what is the best electric shaver for a very tough beard? my son could shave 2 to 3 times a day if he wanted to. after he shaves he has a shadow. he has purchased remington, braun, his beard is so coarse that the screen on top of the shaver actually breaks and peels off. when he uses a wet razor, his face gets really iritated.
    steve balistreri

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

sheep shear.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't have a heavy beard but my wiskers are brittle. Since I was a teenager, I've had literally every brand of electric shaver out there and every one took longer to shave me than a safety razor and left me with a red, irritated face and stubble.

The best combination for me has been a Gillette Fusion razor and Barbasol foam.

Ed

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

barry c. roach:
    sheep shear, thats a good one, that would probably break too.
    steve

5. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Norelco has held up for me. Get the one with adjustable depth of cut. If you skip your shave on Saturday, making one pass not so close and then shaving again on the close setting keeps from yanking and tugging the longer wiskers. Good Luck

6. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Last year I bought the top of the line Norelco. Best razor I've ever had. I winced a bit at the price, however in retrospect, you get what you pay for. I don't have a real heavy beard but shaving every morning is now a pleasure.

Bob Schultz

7. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Craftsman hedge trimmer? LOL! Sorry, I had to do it:). Todd

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

senior smoke:

Some people are just meant to have a beard...

sissy

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

+1 on the Fusion. It's electric too (it has a AAA battery in it). ;-)

For shave cream, have him try Nivea Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. My son has good luck with it. Fortunately I can get by with the cheap ol' Barbasol Green.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

The BRAUN PULSONIC gives me an excellent shave. I have used several electric razors and none gives me the comfort or the closeness of the Braun... many others caused in grown hairs... not the Braun. It is pricey = about $275 at Walmart, but worth it. Be careful in your purchase and ask for the top of the line Braun. Fred

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use a straight razor and a good glycerin soap, get a couple of good old German steel razors and rotate them.....with a little practice you can shave as fast as with a fuson......shaving is alot of fun with a straight razor. and you won't believe the money you save!!

tony

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Bob Schultz is right that the new Norelco is very comfortable, but a little slow. I keep a couple of OLD Norelco's (with the electric direct cord) if I go a day or two. Just like running a bush-hog over a grown-up pasture, shreds everything and in good time, too! Use the new one for the lighter work....merlyn...

13. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Norelco!

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

shave after a good shower to soften them up, otherwise its a Toro or a Lawn Boy!

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

You are on a fool's errand.

There isn't an electric shaver made that will provide a shave as close as you can get with a blade.

I have a heavy beard so I know of what I speak.

I suffered with skin irritation using a wet razor for years before I discovered the secret to a close and non-irritating shave.

You need four things - hot water, a new blade, a BADGER shaving brush and a quality shaving cream. Have your son google e-shave, they make HIGH quality shaving creams that are unbelievably good. A good quality BADGER brush makes all the difference - nothing else comes close. Forget any other type of brush but one made with genuine badger hair - they are not cheap but then again, a good shave is worth it and they last a LONG time if properly cared for. Most people recommend shaving AFTER you shower but I do it before I shower and the results are excellent, just make sure you use hot water, as hot as you can tolerate and get the face good and wet.

Amazon has pure badger brushes for around $35. Eshave is $55.00 but they are fine quality (makes a difference). Just get the best out of the gate, you won't be disappointed.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Husquavarn 12" chain

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

An old fashion straight razor is by far the closest shave you will ever have. I use one most of the time but when in a hurry I use a Gillette Fusion. My beard is way to tough for an electric. I tried them all and they just won't git r done

18. Bridger

Bridger Member

I never found an electric that I could use. Lousy shave and lots of skin irritation. I use a traditional double edge safety razor, a very sharp blade and a cream or soap that is applied with a quality badger hair brush. My shaves are close, smooth and comfortable. Wish I had the courage and patience to learn how to use a straight edge razor. If you're using one of those multi blades monsters and the stuff out of a can you wouldn't believe how much you can improve the quality of your shaves by switching to traditional shaving razors and creams or soaps.

19. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I've got a thick beard and it's hard to keep a razor sharp for more than a few shaves. I learned a trick thou and I'll share it with you guys. Freeze the razors until you use them. Use a good foam and shave after you shower so the hairs are their softest. I have tried a couple brands of electric's and never did like the shave, it's just not close enough for my taste. I buy the disposables and put them in the back of the deep freeze until I need another one and they seem to last a few shaves longer than if I don't. It's the cryogenics thing ya know. Dan

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I don't know if I have a heavy beard or not but I've been told that a full grown red hogs coat feels like crushed velvet compared to what I have on my chin. I can destroy any electric shavers blades in the first 10 seconds, pieces flying everywhere, lights in the house even dim. It takes a lot of patience but I do my beard American Indian style, I pull those suckers out one or 10 at a time with a pair of 16 inch vice grips. Now I do have to customize them vice grips, take them down to the Bobs machine shop and he presicion grinds the jaws so they match up just right. After the bleeding stops it don't feel too bad and after the 3rd day Achmed at the convience store recogognizes me again. The best thing is I only have to pull them every 5 days. The worst thing is my ear hairs and nose hairs, hard not to look kinda silly with Sis's femine crammers stuffed in each ear and nose hole so you don't bleed all over the couch while we watch Walker Texas Ranger. I sure wish she'd quit gettin those scented ones, makes me smell like a sissy.

The other day some idjut tried to tell me them Indians didn't have many hairs is the reason they just pulled them. I guess he thought I was stupid enough to believe that, he hadn't never seen a buffalo calf I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best electric razor for tough beards

best electric razors for tough beards
best electric shaver for heavy beard
best electric shaver for tough beards
best shaver for tough beards
electric razor for tough beard
electric razors for tough beards
shaving machine for hard beard