1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is an unsingle?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by flylta, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flylta

flylta TS Member

Trying to learn the different terms and gun data. I have figured out a release trigger from watching someone shoot one and reading here but have not been able to figure out what the unsingle (I think) is what guys on here are calling it.

Any help to would be appreciated as I try and learn.

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

A picture is worth a thousand words...

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

It is a gun that has two firing pins, but instead of a top barrel it has a high rib. They often come in combos which include the unsingle barrel (shown above) and over under barrels.

4. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

An over under shotgun (combo) has the single barrel using the over position. The unsingle combo uses the lower position, hence the higher rib that fills the over barrel position. Any canting of the barrel.rib in your swing to the target places the shot behind your sight picture.

Augie

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

flylta

Glad you asked because there are things I have heard of and don't really know what some may be talking about.

Anyway the photo above is of my 3 barrel set for my 680 Beretta

Ok top barrel is the Unsingle, then the Top single, and last is the over/Under barrel's.

Ok why most people like's the Un Single over the Top single is they seem to kick less since the chamber is lower and also most Unsingle's have a higher rib and that means less heat waves on the hot days of shooting.

Ok below is a photo of the way the barrel's look's from the loading end of it ok the left barrel is the Top Single notice that the shell goes in the top section and the right barrel is of the Un single the shell goes in the bottom section.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hope I didn't confuse you but if you are at the gun club then just ask to see both and you can tell the difference right off.

Ok im sure you are aware of a lot of the Automatics and Pump guns out there if I was going to call them a top or unsingle then they would be top singles or even top doubles ok they ain't called either but what im saying is that a auto and a pump gun would be in the same line as a top single barrel just because the chamber is inline with the top of the reciever.

Foggy

6. Harold

Harold TS Member

"Any canting of the barrel.rib in your swing to the target places the shot behind your sight picture."

What? How does that work?

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe the first unsingle (undersingle) was made by Stan Baker, out of a 3200, Maybe the top barrel was bad. He cut it off at the forend, blocked the chamber, and put a big aluminum rib on.

Think I saw a picture somewhere.

HM

8. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks everybody for the education. It makes perfect sense now, with the pictures and descriptions.

I have learned a lot in reading everything from the guys here. One day I will hopefully be the rpoud owner of one of those nice guns. Right now I am working a full time job and my wife is working around the clock (stay at home Mom) and we haave two in elementary school being home schooled. I have started my 10 year old daughter shooting a winchester 20g and I got a mossberg silver reserve. I know it's not the greatest gun around but so far in 4 month and about 2000 rounds no problems except it closes tight.

Thanks again for the descriptions and pictures.

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

flylta

You are ok in my book's im sure you have been lurking in the back ground for a bit before posting but when I bought my combo gun back in 1983 I gave 1,442.00 for it when the single barrel Perazzi gun's was selling for over 2 grand so as you can tell im still shoting that 24 year old gun today and I would class it along with the Remington 870 and the Model-12 Winchester of today standards and the latter 2 will still win a lot of the shoot's at the home club's but im sure most of the high dollar guy's that win's have shot the 870,model-12,and maybe some other brand's.

Ok you don't have to pay a lot of money for a gun you just got to pay a lot of money in practing or do as I did I paid a lot of money in competing and still hadn't got to where I want to be just yet.

Foggy

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

My first 25 straight was with a Remington 1100 field gun at 21 yards. Wow! I was so proud. We are all in different financial situations and your family has first priority. Just making the time to get out and have fun shooting is so important. My daughter and I formed our bond on the trap field at age 13 - 18. Mom even got a little jealous. Have fun and take the family. Fred

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Everybody has been in your situation with small kids at home and finances being tight. Thats why the vasy majority of serious shooters are older, with kids out of college, married off and gone. We couldn't afford it much back then either! But you can do it with a $3-500 used automatic and spending the most on practice in the beginning. Once you've improved to a certain point, you can then concentrate on registered competition where the targets really mean something to you, and not spend so much on practice anymore. Make the competitions your practice! As the years go on you'll be able to afford a better gun perhaps and more traveling to some of the bigger and better shoots that so many thousands of shooters love to go to.

12. flylta

flylta TS Member

Thanks guys You are all speaking from experience. I look forward to my time shooting with my daughter and anytime I get to go scare a clay pigeon is grate. I love to say break'em but I still scare as many as I break but we will see if those numbers start changing.

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I'm working with my Granddaughter. Our three older daughters have lost interest in shooting of most anykind. Our second daughter had gone to pistols. she will shoot a shotgun now and then but the other two not on there list of fav things to do. The Grandaughter is 12 and we purchased a cutdown 1100 for her and as of now she is shooting lights out with it. It's a field grade. I shoot a field grade 870 and am not doing to bad. I try to shoot a Trap Gun but it feels like I'm mounting a 2 X 4. Have been shooting now since 1971. Many years and with the same ol 870 field grade I started with in the begining. Yea it's had parts replaced on it here and there but she is as loose as a goose. It is so loose I now and then will shoot some skeet with it. I get most all my doubles but miss now and then some of the singles. But when it comes to Trap This thing smokes em. Have a nice week End and Keep Shootin Straight!!! Rich(inPeoria,Az.)

14. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Canting your barrel can move the POI to the left or right depending on which way you are canting but it makes no difference whether it's an unsingle, top single or o/u barrel. The higher your gun is setup to shoot the more canting will affect you. If you shoot a 50/50 pattern canting will do nothing to your POI. If you gun is setup to shoot 120% high then canting becomes more of a serious problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
unsingle means

what does unsingle mean

what does unsingle means