1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is an Annie Oakley?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

What is an Annie Oakley shoot? I've heard it mentioned several times on this forum. Also, what is a "Buddy shoot"? I guess I don't get out much. All I've ever shot is traditional trap. Even watching doubles is exotic for me. Any other games out there in the Wonderful World of Trap?

Bruce

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

a buddy shoot is just that. Your buddy shoots and if he misses you have a chance to make it up by shooting also. Usually money involved. An Annie is different to different areas but generally people line up on the 27 and if the first shooter misses, second shooter can shoot and so on until it hits the ground. anytime a shooter misses and another breaks it he moves to the end of the line, then on his next miss he is out. It goes on until there is one last person standing ( or 2 - 4 people if the club is paying that many places ( determined by the number of shooters) Usually one place for each 5 shooters so 15 shooters, pays three places. If you have not shot these games, you are missing a lot of fun.I enjoy the games so much I quit registered shooting years ago. Here in Idaho it is called a Custer, In Indiana it was a killer, in south dakota it was an annie, same game, different area

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what different parts of the country call it....Capvan....just show up with money, and we will teach you how!

:)

5. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

How the Virginia Tech Clay Target Team does it:

We play Back-up with half point awarded to 2nd person hitting pieces. Usually from the 23 yd line.

Annie Oakley from the 16 yd line. three people at a time. 2nd and 3rd shoot at pieces to get those before them out. Winner of the first round gets $10 to dinner following practice.

-Phil

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Annies are a great game. If I can break my first bird I'm usually good till the end. I'm either the first one to go or the last one.

7. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Pot shoot,Annie,Buyback,custer,nofree ride.and buddy all are money shoots we put in 3 bucks per person and make them split on two with more than 25 people a 4way split is common 60/40 house split bring you 12 to 15 buck on 25 or more,you start missing your call shot and it get you $25 or more in the hole per night. Jon

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I guess it's a lot more mercenary where I shoot. $5 per shooter in the pot. From the 30 yd line. One winner, no splits unless there are two left and they want to split the pot.

Eric

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A couple of the clubs I shoot at in NE Indiana call the buddy shoot a "protection round", and Annie's are called "bushwackers". Wayne

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Where I'm at in central Illinois we shoot Annies on the 27 and we will have as many as 4 guns up sometimes just 3 guns up. The three gun annies are shot with the first man shooting and if he misses the second and third gun each have a shot in turn. The same procedure for the "4 gun up Annie". On each of these games if you miss and someone else breaks your bird you get a "hickey" and two of those and you are out.

The game called a "Bush Wacker" is played with three guns up where I shoot. The second guy can either shoot a piece of the target or try to break the target upon the miss of the first shooter and the third shooter can do the same. All eyes keep a sharp lookout for a broken piece as they are small and sometimes hard to see. Again two "hickeys" and you are out on this game also.Some clubs shoot this game from the 23 and others shoot it from the 27.

We also shoot a "shoot the miss" on ten bird races. Two guns are up and if the first shooter misses the second shooter can increase his own score by killing the first shooters bird. It is not uncommon to see scores of 12 or 13 in a ten bird race and I think these are shot at the 23 yard line.

The protections are usually shot from the 27 and each guy calls for one bird at a post so each has a chance of breaking his own bird. Again if someone shoots out of turn it's a lost bird. Most of these are just ten bird shoots. Two birds to a post and alternating calls for the partners. These shoots are usually with five teams of two shooters each.

The sliders are shot differently at about all the clubs I have been too. They are a ten bird race and start usually on the 16 then to the 19 , the 23 and 27 with the last two birds shot at the back of the house. I have shot them and never left the concrete. Usually a slider is shot with one person to a post.

These games are all shot with the members and shooters having fun and keeping safety in mind. It's always fun to put a great shooter out of an annie with a bush wacked shot of yours Keep in mind what goes around comes around and the next annie just might have that shooter in position to back you up. :) Have fun with them. Dan

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Successfully shooting an Annie Oakley can involve some strategy. If you wait to shoot until the bird is a few feet from the ground, you can miss with very little chance of the next shooter hitting the bird and costing you some money.

Pat Ireland

12. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

In new england.....back up and adios

13. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

I'm in southern California and we call them buddy shoots and pot shots. The buddy is from the 27 yard line and the pot shoot is from the range fence which is at about the 45-50 yard line.

14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, true but do you want to play more than once?

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pat, when that happens at our clubs the other shooter make sure to put that person out at every opportunity even in the future games and sometimes it goes on for months. They frown on a person playing the game that way and it usually is a tough payback that last's a long time. Yes, we have one a hole who does it but he has very few friends

16. redhawk

redhawk Member

I hope you don't advise people to cheat at cards also.If your not man enough to shoot when its your turn,please go to another club.

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The way we play it at our club is you line up say at the 20 yard line. You have 3 shooters. The first shoots has to shoot. If he hits the target he is still in the game. Now the second shooter is now the first shooter. He has to shoot and if he misses the second shooter has to shoot no matter what. If he hit the target the first shooter has to sit down on the bench of shame. LOL The first shooter shoots and misses the second shooter has to shoot. If the second shooter misses and the third shooter has the choice to shoot or not to shoot. If he does shoot and misses that alright, he is still in the game but if he hits the target shooter 1 nad 2 have to sit down on the bench of shame. Now shooter three is the first shooter and it keeps going. Once all the shooters have had a turn you step back a yard shoot again and step back a yard. In time you will be on the 27 yard line.

18. claybuster60

claybuster60 TS Member

At our club in Ontario New York, an Annie Oakley is run much he same way as "Auctioneer" explained it but at 27 yards. The first in line calls for the bird, and must shoot quickly (he can not ride out the bird). If he hits it that shooter goes to the end of the line and everyone moves up with the "second shooter" now first and calls for the bird. If the first shooter misses the bird the second shooter has to shoot. If the second person hits the target the first shooter is out. If the second shooter also misses the target, the third shooter in line has the opportunity to shoot if he wants to. If the third shooter in line does shoot and breaks the target (missed by both the 1st and 2nd shooters) the first 2 shooters are out. The third shooter is now the number one and calls for the next target. This goes on until there are only two shooters left. They shoot in turn until one misses and the other breaks the target. The "WINNER" receives the major prize for the event (usually a Roast of beef, or a Turkey or a Ham) and the second shooter wins a chicken (all prizes are of the frozen variety). Now, there is a little hitch in the gitty-up, in that if the preceding shooter breaks the target and the next shooter also shoots that shooter that shot at the broken target is out.
    Another game we play at our club is a "buddy shoot" call "Wipe-Your-Eye". Five two man teams take to the field, 2 on each station at 25 yards. Each team will shoot at 2 targets from each post. The first time around, the shooter on the left calls and shoots first. If he hits the target the team is scored with a hit. If the first person shoots and misses the target the his partner can shoot and break the target. If he does the team is awarded a hit. However, if the first man shoots, breaking the target and the partner also shoots it is scored a lost target. The second time around the shooter on the right calls and shoots first. This goes on until each 2 man team has shot from each post. The team with the most hits are the winners. Each man on the team is awarded a major prize. No secondary prizes are awarded for the is event.
    Another game we play is the most popular of all we offer. It is called 10-Man-Prize. Ten shooters take to the field at the 16 yard mark with 2 shooters at each post. The shooters shoot in turn like a regular round of trap, except only 2 rounds are shot on each post. The scores are recorded just like regular trap. When each person has shot at 2 targets at each post the game is over. At this time, the hits are tallied and the number recorded. For example, out of the total of 100 targets thrown, 80 are marked as hits. We then go into the clubhouse and draw a number out of a box between 1 and 80. Let's say the number drawn is 25. Then the hits are counted down in the order they were hit until the 25th target. The shooter that broke that target is the winner. During the round, and odd color target is placed in the mix. If a shooter calls for a target and is presented the odd color target and breaks it he wins a chicken. However, if the odd target is missed the shooter's name goes up on a paper plate on our wall of shame. Hope this helps.

19. BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD

BIG JIM IN BAKERSFIELD TS Member

Pot shooting sounds like a lot of fun. Does anyone want to show me how to do it?? LOL - BIG JIM

20. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

I hear Spider does Jim. LOL

Have fun at Redlands in Oct, I will be Florida at the inlaws.

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
annie oakley shoot
annie oakley shooting game
annie oakley trap
annie oakley trap shooting

annie oakley trap shooting game

how do you play annie oakley
trap shooting games ie wipe you eye
wipe your eye trap