1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a veteran

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shadow, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow Active Member

What Is A Veteran?

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is
    someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his
    life."

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today,
    who no longer understand that fact.

THANKS Guys and Gals !

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Thank you!!!!

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Thanks.

4. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Thanks, Shadow!!

Best,
    Dennis

5. geneleroy

geneleroy TS Member

Well said! Amen!

6. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

There is some vindication in today's view of the military member for the experiences I and most others had as service members in the Vietnam and recent post-Vietnam period....when people would spit on you if they saw you in uniform (in some parts of our find country).

7. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Baron23 and all you other guys, "Welcome home man"...Mike

8. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Shadow: As a reired veteran, I don"t thnk it I have ever seen my comrades in arms better characterized. Thank you.

Jim R

9. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Thanks Shadow,!! I wrote that check. By the grace of God I was lucky enough never to have it cashed.

Baron 23,Came home through Seattle Airport to a crowd of people spitting at us. Something I'll never forget. Thankfully that treatment to the American Vet is over................Philly D

10. Baron23

HI Philly D....man, I can believe that story and I still shake my head at the comparison of then and now.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Vietnam war was a huge waste of life and a mistake...but I still joined the military voluntarily. In my view, the military has NO opinion on foreign policy, we are an arm of foreign policy and our duty is to execute the direction set by our civilian elected Government. To me, this was an honorable profession no matter my view of the war at hand at the time.

Just after Vietnam ended, I was stationed at Homestead AFB in south Florida. I'm in a mall shopping for a shower curtain in uniform after work. This lady comes up to be and starts yelling obscenities at me and calling me a "baby burner". It was so over the top I couldn't even be insulted, she was clearly a moron...but nobody came to my defense either.

I support military members, always will...again, this has nothing to due with my political opinion about the war at hand and never will. One has nothing to do with the other in my view.

Something you may want to try. I live in Maryland outside of DC. We, of course, have Walter Reed Medical Center here and there is a program called Wounded Warrior where if you have a recreational activity and want to invite some wounded soldiers to participate, they will help arrange this. Well, we did a Wounded Warrior day for a couple of dozen of these guys and gals for a day of skeet shooting. Multi-time World Champions Todd Bender and John Shima donated their time to give these guys a clinic. Others donated all of the ammo and guns and lunch was bought. Prince George's County Trap and Skeet Center donated the targets and the use of two fields for the day. This was the most rewarding activity I have been involved with in decades...certainly more so than my job.

Also, I have run a top 20 skeet shoot for the last four years. Military shooters could often not register early enough to reserve a spot due to the uncertainty of their deployment schedule. This was a sold out shoot. We had a standing rule, if an active military member wanted to shoot, then no matter when they contacted us we found them a space...period. This is also perhaps a policy that trap shoots can adopt to show their gratitude (if not already so).

By the by, Baron23 was my Air Force call sign. Those days were still the most fun and challenging of my life and as I get older and more reflective, I have come to see that the USAF letting me serve was a priviledge, not a right and I am grateful for the lasting character changes that the military imprinted on me.

Cheers

Stephen Meyers

11. tvbill

tvbill TS Member

If someone had spit on me when I came back from RVN they would still be looking for their lips. Nobody ever got stupid with me but no one welcomed me home with a "well done" either. Oh well! The only opinion that really matters is the men I flew with. Only a few folks can really understand what flying a huey in that sh*thole means. It would have been nice though to have heard welcome home.
    tvbill

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

At my ships (USS Galveston CLG3) reunion 2 years back in San Diego we toured some ships in port. The crew (all of them) left the ship in civvies; we did not see one sailor in uniform. In my day, below E5 couldn't even have civilian clothes on board much less wear them on liberty. We had to keep a locker ashore. Seems to me there is a reason somewhere here. The Navy even used to pay in $2.00 bills as evidence of the support to local economies. Things sure do change, eh?

13. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I rememeber going to the UW when my sister was going to school there. When she opened her door she chewed me out big time for coming to see her in my uniform. I was just home on leave. She was truely scared I would be harmed if anyone saw me. While I was going to Engineman school in Virginia I was called baby killer and spat on more times than I care to remember. I also remember the signs on some of the lawns "no dogs or sailors allowed on the grass". I'm really thankful our service men/women today don't have to go through what us Viet Nam and Viet Nam era vets did. I still have trouble with that crap today. No matter how much I try to forget threads like these bring it back.

Mike, I rememeber my locker club in Long Beach. By the time I made EN2 I was stationed ashore and didn't have a neeed for one any more.

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Hoggy, Had one in Norfolk, Philly, and San Diego. Ah, the good old days.

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Amen!

This is our flag, and I salute it proudly!

[​IMG]

And I happen to agree with the following too........

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You are welcome. Now, I get VA benefits and medical care. If I were young again, I would enlist again.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Thanks and your welcome! Jake Jacobs, US Army Retired and still serving proud.

18. Baron23

Picture of that Wounded Warrior day I wrote about above

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=Armywounded007.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

19. M-16

M-16 TS Member

HOOAH Very gland when I was activated we were apprecaited. I was a kid for NAM but my family served then. I don't know how I would of reacted to a sorry welcome home alot of them got? RET. USARMY

20. oz

oz Active Member

veterans of our military don't get a lot when they leave the service. retirees get more but not much. Congressmen/women when they leave congress (even after a couple of years) get treated like CEO's. they don't want for anything. AND they vote for all this themselves. let's see I'd like a couple of million a year and paid medical. maybe then I could retire BUT I've ONLY been working for 47 years and still working. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.