1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a squad leader?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Hi there,

This might sound like a dumb question but having never shot ATA trap-

What is a squad leader? From what I have read I gather they are shooter on position 1?

Do they ask to be squad leader of is it the luck of the draw at the nomination window?

Do they have any other importance other than calling to show the squad a sight target etc?

Regards, Dan

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I shoot lead off more often than not. I am the squad leader, but I am mostly responsible to say that "let's see one" or pair depending. There are lots on here that seem to think that the squad leader should be the one to do everything for everyone. I am not a baby sitter.

I almost forgot..been doing it for so long that it is second nature.

c. The Squad Leader should check and initial the score sheet at
    the completion of each sub-event.
    d. The Squad Leader shall have the responsibility to carry the score
    sheet, on which more than one (1) sub-event is recorded, from trap
    to trap until completion of the event.

Rick in MT

3. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So does that mean you ask when you squad up to be a squad leader? Does it also mean you have to stay back and ref and keep score after you shoot?

4. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Aussie,

No mate you do not Ref & score (they have paid refs & scorers)when you squad you tell them what post you wish to start on 1 thru to 5, as stated post 1 is always the squad leader/lead off, unless post 2 is the first shooter to call for a target and so on.

Quite often at larger shoots you will see post 1 vacant so post 2 will be leader.

When Johnny, Allan Jones and myself are in the USA we take turns on different posts so we all get a go at post 1.

Release..................

5. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I look at the position as "first among equals".

I check to ensure everyone (including me) is ready including eye and ear protection, eyes are forward (or at least they have the chance to look out if they choose) and that the scorer is ready. I then ask for a show bird or pair, ask if everyone is satisfied with it, then start.

I make it a point to watch each bird that is called for by everyone. First it lets me know what the wind or other conditions may be doing during the round. Second, if there is a dispute I can toss my $0.02 in for what it's worth. I have seen broken birds shot at where the chip came out low and to the left and no one else could see it. That is how I approach the first station, most times though it's just call for a bird and start shooting.

Greg Sliker

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

ATA Rules , Section IV, G:

"5. For each squad, the shooter who has been assigned to start on post
    1 is designated the “Squad Leader”. If post 1 is empty, the role of the
    Squad Leader passes to the shooter assigned to start on post 2, and
    so on. The Squad Leader has the following duties:
    a. After all squad members are present at their assigned positions
    on the trap field, the Squad Leader should ascertain that all
    squad members are ready to begin the sub-event. After doing so,
    the Squad Leader only may ask that target(s) be thrown for the
    squad’s observation. For regular 16-yard Singles and Handicap
    sub-events, the Squad Leader may ask for one (1) target only.
    For regular Doubles sub-events, the Squad Leader may ask for
    one (1) pair of Doubles. For Shoot-offs in 16-yard Singles and
    Handicap events, the Squad Leader may ask for two (2) targets.
    For Shoot-offs in Doubles events, the Squad Leader may ask for
    two (2) pairs of Doubles.
    b. If the target(s) thrown for observation are broken, irregular, or
    illegal, the Squad Leader may ask that another target (or pair of
    Doubles as applicable) be thrown. The squad has the right to
    see a legal target (or legal pair of Doubles as applicable) before
    commencing the sub-event.
    c. The Squad Leader should check and initial the score sheet at
    the completion of each sub-event.
    d. The Squad Leader shall have the responsibility to carry the score
    sheet, on which more than one (1) sub-event is recorded, from trap
    to trap until completion of the event."

That's it for the squad leader.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Aussie Dan:

At the risk of splitting hairs, the squad leader is the first person to shoot. With a full squad, he/she is on post one. OTOH, if you had a squad consisting of three shooters signed up on posts 3, 4, and 5 respectively, the guy on post 3 would be squad leader.

Some shooters like Rick in MT, request post one. Others avoid it like the plague. At a few shoots, contestants are assigned the next available post on the first available squad. In that case whatever post a shooter is assigned is luck of the draw. That's a long way of saying that being squad leader is usually by choice but in a few cases may not.

The squad leader's formal responsibilities are relatively limited. Only two items immediately come to mind.

1. calling for the initial target

2. making sure the scorekeeper and the rest of the squad is ready

sissy

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

May I ask why post 1 is sometimes vacant? Wouldn't the squad shift over?

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Aussie if they shifted over the scores would all in the position of the wrong shooters. In the office where the cashier is working they work from a master sheet.

The score sheets don't usually have the shooters names on them. Which is the reason it is important to stay on the post that is marked on your squad ticket you have picked.

Bob Lawless

10. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Dan, are you confused now ??
    Release Trigger. does Allan take his clothes w/him to USA. Most shoots here , he forgets to take them and is seen in town buying new gear.

11. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Aussie,

As stated no names on squad sheets (all worked out at time of squading) you never move over in the ATA way of shooting, totally different way of shooting than here Downunder.

Lytnin1.

Yes Allan does take some clothes with him, but he should have been born a girl, loves to shop, or most of time all he does is "Kick tires" as we say Downunder (shopping without spending money).

He came over to the USA with me in 09, I came to pick up my new Stock-Lock, he tagged along just to check out the "Shops" what a girl.

Release..............(I believe if you cannot Shoot it, Eat it, Our make Love to it, its not worth looking at) JMHO.........................

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

The squad leader is also expected to set a good example for the rest of the squad by always shooting a 25 Straight.

And the rest of the squad is expected to show respect to the squad leader, so in the very rare event that the leader does miss a target all the other shooters should miss a target too.

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There is one person (often a squad leader) I end up shooting with now and then who brings luck. Some squad leaders just seem to do that. Each time I shoot with him, the great and legendary Y.W., I shoot a good score. He is so cordial, always says "good luck shooters" on each field before the first target. He's a good luck charm, and also has the record IMO for three staight senior vet championships at the California State Shoot. I think he is gifted with special powers.

He's the often overlooked and under rated modest Y.W. Low of So-Cal.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I agree ... Y W is a great guy to shoot with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a squad leader

y w low trap shooting