1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a spreader load?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Noticed that Nobelsport, makes a shotshell-called Spreader load for sporting clays.
    What makes this shell different,except for the packaging.

Phil Berkowitz

2. philk

philk Member

I expect the wads, Ballistics Products sells some. Might work good for early season ruffs in a tight choked gun.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Nobelsport says its 11/8 oz#8 @1200FPS if this helps any

Phil Berkowitz

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

it is suppose to "open" up a pattern in a tight choke...

5. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

They might use a post style wad like the old Pattern Control Post wads. They are still made by Downrange.

John E.

6. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I have seen some of the shooters in the distant past who would split the petals on the wads to supposedly make them open quicker. Never tried it to see but sounds possible. Jim

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I reload using a polywad insert. (see link) It goes on top of the shot and opens the pattern. I decrease my shot load 1/8 oz to make room for the spreader. It makes it so I can shoot my older fixed (M/F) guns at 5 stand. I haven't patterned them on a board, but they seem to work in real life. I reload on a PW375 and it just takes an extra step to insert before the crimp. It is much cheaper than buying them already assembled.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Well ....... guess I read it wrong.

[​IMG]

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Well, I can say that I wouldn't want to get hit by the patterns from either spreader load!!!!!!!!! :)

John E.

10. blow-by

blow-by Member

a load commonly found in charlie sheens bedroom

11. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

Is it legal for ATA trap? Would it work better at 16yds, or 24yds?
    Dick C.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

its 11/8 oz #8 @1200fps---its legal, don't know how it patters, if you're curious Gamaliel sells them. Might be the answer for a very tightly fixed gun such as a TM-1,when shooting singles. But what do I know. I'm still learning to shoot with a bum back

Phil Berkowitz

13. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I tried loading them once and didn`t see any difference in the breaks but I`m sure they opened faster . The wad I used had a post in the middle and I had to drill a hole in the wad seater on my 366 to accommodate that post .

14. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

I use them on very close shots or close to medium range rabbit targets on sporting clays courses rather than change chokes. One caveat I found is that they need to be shot through a choke tighter than you would normally use for a target at that range or they don't open up as well. The concept as I understand it is to use a center post in the wad to "bounce" the shot column outward after it compresses inward during the choke portion of the barrel. I have patterned them and they do open up a bit quicker. Fiochi is the brand I use and the name is "Power Spreader" I believe slinging 1 1/8 at 1200fps.

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

isn't a trap machine mounted to the rear of a manure spreader called sporting clays?
    and if a car drops 20% in value as soon as you drive it off the lot, what does a manure spreader drop?
    good luck with it

16. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Performance of a spreader shell was one of the things I tested.

For the cartridge I tested, the spreader shell through a full choke performed much like a normal shell through a quarter choke. The spreader through a quarter choke behaved almost like a normal shell through true cylinder.

So, to address a couple of the ideas raised in this thread: you don't want to use a spreader shell on a trap range. A tight pattern is best for trap. If you are really paranoid about having a pattern that is too tight, use a shell with softer lead pellets. But really, the best thing to do is address the paranoia!

Although of no practical interest, I don't think the spreader works by pushing the pellets apart. When I tested the spreader through a cylinder choke it behaved just like a normal shell through a cylinder choke. That is, there was no evidence of the spreader post pushing the pellets apart. Just how the spreader (might) work contributes to the more general discussion of how chokes in general work.

The picture below shows the wad from shells I tested:

[​IMG]

The graph gives spread versus distance and choke for the spreader shell and a normal shell with similar pellet properties (hardness, size, velocity). The results from the graph are what I opened with. The pellet distributions were all pretty much like those from any other shell giving that particular pattern spread. Spreader shells were one of the few things I tested that actually lived up to their billing. Note that the graph is 100 patterns of measured data.

Now you "know" about spreader shells.

Andrew.

[​IMG]

17. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Andrew you know about one type of spreader wad. I have tested the polywad (spred-R) load and they do work. With the disk on top of the shot it doesn't matter what choke you are using it opens the pattern.
    I have also used the Briley spreader choke with success. It is very dependent on constriction and load used. You need to know your barrel ID.

18. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

I shoot at AKC hunt tests and field trials. I sometimes use spreader wads on my first barrel. It knocks the birds down close range and doesn't blow them up.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm confused as to how just adding the post in the middle of the wad it can force the pattern to open more thru a tight choke. Are all wads not designed to seperate from the shot upon leaving the barrel? I can see how once it leaves there is already a minor gap between the four sections of shot but i just don't see it being drastic.

Matt

20. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Polywad Spred-R disc loaded on top of 7/8 ounce shot; 1/8 ounce on top of the disc.

With the disc loaded on top of all the shot, you get maximum spread but the occasional (10-15% in my experience) pattern will have a hole in it. For shear spread of pattern width, no technology I've tested is better, but the hole is a showstopper for me. The 1/8 ounce of shot on top of the disc lessens the total spread, but the 1/8 ounce sees the total effect of the choke and most of it is drected to the core. In any event, the hole in the pattern is eliminated.

[​IMG]

IMO, spreaders range from "useful" for short crossing targets (such as a 50 foot sporting clays rabbit with my IMOD choke) to "useless" for a going away target....such as any gamebird or a trap target. If you're a 2-choke (choke and no choke)sporting clays shooter as I am, they make more sense than choke tubes. If you're a choke changer and have a CYL tube....use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fixed full choke spreader load test

full choke spreader shells
how to make spreder shotshells
load spreader

shotshell spreader loads

spreader shot for sporting clays

spreader wads

what is a spreader load