1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a special event?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lilboss1970, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

I have noticed that some of these shoots have something called a special event the night before a handicap shoot. What exactly are these special events? The one says it is $25 entry and self bid is $25. So do you pay $25 dollars to get in this or what?

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You really expect someone to talk about a supposedly illegal event??

Don

3. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

In Montana it's not illegal, if the bidder is a shooter of the event. This was explained to me by a Judge. I assume he knew what he was talking about. If you wish more info PM me and I will explain what it is and how it's played.

Rick in Mt.

4. lilboss1970

lilboss1970 Member

Sorry, I didn't know what it is and didn't want to look like a dumb*ss asking at a shoot. I have just started shooting and don't understand all of these options and thought here would be a place to ask.

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you use democratic live czar targets or something? Just answer the damned question. What's the big deal?

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

It's a chance to express your belief if your abilities in round, whole numbers. :)

here's the sterile, economic definition:

<i>Calcutta (gambling)

A Calcutta, or " auction pool" is an event held in conjunction with a golf tournament, horse race, or similar contest with multiple entrants.

Accordingly participants (in Calcutta, India, from where this technique was first recorded by the Colonial British) bid among themselves to "buy" each of the contestants, each contestant being assigned to the highest bidder. The bids are pooled, and after the contest the pool is divided among those players who won the winning contestants at auction, divided according to proportions agreed upon in advance (often in the same proportions as the prize money awarded in the event itself).

This is similar to pari-mutual betting, in that the winnings are awarded from the total pool of bets, but differs in that only one player can bet on any one contestant. </i>

In shooting, it's where the money *really* is.

Bob

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Instead of betting on how well a horse will run in a race, you're betting on how well a shooter of your choice will shoot.

"In shooting, it's where the money *really* is."

Only if your "horse" wins.

Unless you have vast quantities of disposable cash, I'd recommend you avoid any temptation until you have some years under your belt in this game of trap.

Guy Babin

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If I might point out;

There's a difference between PLAYING the "special event" and BIDDING in the "special event". In those that I've seen, to be in the pool, the shooter must first play the option for $10.....$25, whatever. Then the auction is held to sell those that played the option. After the event (usually handicap) that the Calcutta (oops, I mean "special event") was on is finished and the placings are determined from the scores, let's say they're paying 4 places.........the four top placings will divide the money in the pool from the money including both the entry that the shooters paid to play the option and the money that all the buyers added by a given percentage, in this case 40, 30, 20, 10%......and that furthur divided 25% to the shooter & 75% to the buyer.

I've seen a lot of these at Team Ropings and there the "house" usually skims 10% off the top but I'm told it's common practice at Trap Shoots to pay it all back out?

John C. Saubak

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At trap shoots all of the money taken in is paid out. No cut for the house.

Eric

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

RickN

"In Montana it's not illegal, if the bidder is a shooter of the event. This was explained to me by a Judge."

I think you mis-understood the use of the words "illegal event" I believe that the statement was meant not in relation to the Law. The poster was talking about the legality in relation to the ATA

C. CALCUTTAS

The ATA does not encourage Calcuttas or similar events at any registered ATA tournament. ATA Rules concerning payment or nonpayment of monies shall not be applicable in any manner to any dispute involving Calcuttas or similar events.

In other words if you get in and the payouts are not figured correctly it is your problem not the ATA's. Again in other words not legal in the ATA.

Bob Lawless

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It is run by individuals not connected to the shoot or the ATA.

Don

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Bob, 'not encouraged' is not the same thing as 'illegal.'

The context of what ATA <i>could</i> do is pretty-well limited: i.e. DQ, jerk tickets, etc. but unless the proscription is further spelled-out, the language you cited is ATA = Sanhedrian.

Bob

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bring money, lots of it and buy all of the Top Guns ... Wild Cards are really fun, you might get to buy a big timer for $2,000 plus if the shoot is at the right club ... The best way to learn is to get right up in there and play with the big boys, the more you lose the quicker you will learn ... There is nothing in it for the ATA which is one of the reasons they do not encourage it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

A "Special Event" is when I shoot handicap and get in the 90's....Thank you....Uncle Sam, Pa.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

OTOH, if you are a 21yr shooter, and you bought yourself for $50 b/c nobody else wanted you, and tomorrow turns off rainy, windy, gusty ... and you manage to uncork a 91 ... there's your Perazzi.

There is NO doubt you math skills will improve dramatically when you play the Special Events.

Bob

16. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

lilboss1970

Sent you a private message.

17. Hauser

Hauser Member

lilboss1970

The special event has been defined very well however there are probably regional differences. In Arizona these events have been common place for more than 50 years and have been run by everybody including members of the state BOD and the delegate.

Jerry Hauser

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

goatskin

"'not encouraged' is not the same thing as 'illegal.'"

Technically you may be very correct. If you think that the technicality will matter get involved with one that gets figured incorrectly. Then you find out that one of those that got money actually your money

Good luck getting it and then see if the ATA think you have legal recourse to trying to collect.

Bob Lawless

19. brownk80

brownk80 Member

You mean you can actually bet money on how well you or someone else will do in the handicap event? WOW, what will they think of next?

Brownk80

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Gee Big Don, I'll bet the Calcutta police are standing right around the corner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.