1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a simple way to add weight to 870?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have an 870 tc made in 1991 that shoots great but also kicks hard is there an easy way to add some weight?? Thanks

2. ML

ML Member

Put a mercury recoil reducer in the magazine tube. They make one just for this purpose. 8 OZ.

Regards

M.L.

3. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Where do I get one?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Click above and find the one that fits.

5. NJ ExPat

NJ ExPat TS Member

Remove the recoil pad and fill the stock with quarters. Shot one for several years with about $8 in change inside it... Can also put metal bar/lead in the magazine. Trick is to get it somewhat balanced. Regardless, its an 870.. there is still going to be recoil!

6. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

Remove the recoil pad and fill the stock with lead shot. It made quite a difference on mine. The only consideration is 7 1/2 or 8's...

Phil

7. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get rid of the stock pad if you have not already. Try the new Pachmayr Trap pad or other softer pad!

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I don't need to gain any more weight, thanks!

9. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman TS Member

Fill the butt with lead shot, add a piece of iron or lead rod approx 5/8 or larger to the magazine tube.

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I added a mercury weight inside the stock (11 oz), but found the gun abit to stock heavy and added a 6 oz. weight onto the barrel screw cap!!! This rebalenced the gun so the center point was very close as it came from the factory. I really like the set up, and recommend it to anyone who wants less recoil out of their wingmaster as well. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

1/2" pice of PVC filled with lead shot. Install it in the stock or the magazine tube or both.

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When I shot 870's years back,I put an Edwards recoil reducer in them. Worked for me. Clyde

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Loose lead shot in the stock bolt hole will, eventually, split your stock.

14. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I could make you one of these. Measure the diameter of the stock bolt hole and the length and send me a personal message or email me a joemkuhn at gmail dot net. If you have a hack saw and a vice, you can make it fit darn near perfectly. A similar piece in the mag tube will preserve balance, but you might like just one. Try it first. The cap on the bottom comes off after cooling. I need to pour again soon for myself.

[​IMG]

15. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I shoot an 870TB on Annies from 35 to 50 yds behind the trap with only a TrapDude rocker pad, no weights, no reducers and a 1 3/8 oz. buffered 4 load. Averaging 100-125 rounds per night. Put a Boyd thumbhole stock on (see URL) and if it still recoils too much, perhaps you should consider Tiddly-Winks.

Buz

16. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I put a Staub 6 oz. mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock. An Edwards mercury recoil reducer will also work. The over bored barrel seems to me to moderate recoil. I shoot either a 1 oz. load at 1150 fps or a 1 1/8 oz. load at 1125 fps and recoil does not seem to bother me.

For games, I shoot 1 1/4 oz at 1250 fps using Herco and the recoil is noticable but not excessive.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.