1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a "real trapshooter"?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

What is a

There's another active thread on this forum which implied that 'small' clubs (3 to 6 traps) should be avoided by 'real trapshooters', whatever that term means. The poster also referred to this as 'Pee-Wee' trapshooting. Here in central Massachusetts, there are at least seven clubs within a fifteen mile radius of my house, most with just one trap. The clubs here are smaller because that's the way New England is.

One of the most respected trap shooters in America has called this 'cup-cake' trap shooting, right here in trapshooters.com; another top trapshooter in New England has specifically called my home club 'rinky-dink'. All I can say is that some shooters prefer non-registered targets and not being pressured into buying $10,000 shotguns, as well as not putting up with a bunch of prima donnas who won't shoot at anything but perfect targets on wind-less days.

One of the small clubs I shoot trap at purposely makes its targets difficult to hit. In fact, the last 25-straight was recorded over twenty years ago. The clays do not conform to ATA standards and we know it and anyone who whines about it is ignored. In fact, you're not allowed to turn down a target at this club; unless it comes out broken, you'd better go after it!

I'm not putting down shooters who have expensive trap guns, but I am defending those of us who choose to shoot at smaller clubs. Thank you.

Porcupine (L.A. Jones)

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What is a

".... trap shooting implies you are following the rules and guidelines of the ATA."<br>
    <br>
    So PITA is not "real" trapshooting?<br>
    <br>

3. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

What is a

Porcupine,

Every sport has it's share of pretentious a-holes. Trap has a plethora.

4. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

What is a

Porcupine, where are you and where do you shoot? I am also in MA, but up in the north, near Plaistow, NH. I am in Groveland, shoot at the Ipswich, MA club, and Newton, NH. I also get to Andover, and Georgetown once in a great while. Steve
    PS I enjoy the small non registered shooting clubs. They are a great place to go to just shoot and relax. No competition, no judgement.
    Just relaxing time on the trap line.
    Steve

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What is a

A properly fitting Mod 12 or 870 will break targets just as well as the uktra high dollar guns!

The only advantage/disadvantage of a small trap range is that it gets rid of the many hours wait between Singles and hadicap.

The big difference is the amount in the purses.

To quote Blizzad:

..............................................................................

Every sport has it's share of pretentious a-holes. Trap has a plethora.

...............................................................................

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

What is a

I grew up shooting model 12s and 870s. And, they don't break targets as well as a Perazzi. So there. Jake

7. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

What is a

If there are trap clubs that are throwing easy to hit cupcake targets, please tell me the name and location. I shoot at small clubs and have not noticed that hitting targets was easier than at the big clubs or the big shoots.

How you make the jump from small clubs to expensive guns puzzles me. I shoot an expensive gun. So what - I work hard and make a lot of money - what business is that of yours??

Anyone who believes the statement that "One of the small clubs I shoot trap at purposely makes its targets difficult to hit. In fact, the last 25-straight was recorded over twenty years ago." needs a reality check or the only shooters at this club are 80 plus years old.

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

What is a

DB Bill,

"Trap shooting implies you are following the rules and guidelines of the ATA"??????? Since when? Shooting registered targets does not a 'real trapshooter' make nor does believing so a whiner make.

Thinking that the ATA, PITA or any other fine organization has a monopoly on trap shooting is akin to believing the USGA is the only governing organization for golf. Trap and golf existed long before the ATA and the USGA came along. As JoeE said, to each his own.

Porcupine

9. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

What is a

Screw the rules! Are you having fun? If so, you are a real trapshooter.

10. m70win

m70win Member

What is a

Wobble Trap is not Trap either even though it has Trap as part of it's name.

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What is a

Porcupine you said "As JoeE said, to each his own." don't you mean to each his own as long as it go against what you think. After all you came on here and said "All I can say is that some shooters prefer non-registered targets and not being pressured into buying $10,000 shotguns, as well as not putting up with a bunch of prima donnas who won't shoot at anything but perfect targets on wind-less days." Just different opinions, So why are you taking exception to the other opinion.

You refer to some other thread that calls trapshooting at small clubs Pee Wee trapshooting. You also say that "One of the most respected trap shooters in America has called this 'cup-cake' trap shooting, right here in trapshooters.com;" yet I don't recall reading that statement. You go on to say "another top trapshooter in New England has specifically called my home club 'rinky-dink'." well believe it or not he has a right to his opinion just as you have a right to your opinion. BTW some of the best people I know shoot at small 1 trap clubs it doesn't change who they are and how they think and feel. Just my opinion.

Bob Lawless

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

What is a

A real trapshooter feels the game. When you stand on the line and look at the trap house try to remember all those that came before you to stand there and make this a great sport. Pick yourself up a very old trap gun and shoot a round with it,and while your doing it ask yourself how many guys just like you, this old gun has taken down the path to the love of the game. Good, Bad, Mediocre, and Great shooters are all real trapshooters. It's the love of the game that keeps it real.
    It has nothing to do about rules, legal or illegal targets, remember the range and equipment are man made and subject to an occasional malfunction.
    JMHO,
    BILL

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

What is a

What is a "real trapshooter"?

That could define a person who supports their "local" clubs. One who shoots at the small clubs, along with the larger ones. One who can accept defeat in a positive manner, along with being humble when winning. I don't personally like the ones who "gloat" over a winning score, or a new expensive gun, or all the trinkets they have! I REALLY don't like those who look down their noses at a new shooter, or one who is shooting a "lesser" gun.

At our club, a new shooter once asked to look at another mans gun. After inspecting it, and commenting about it, another shooter approached. This second shooter said "Now, let me show you a real gun!", and walked him over to his Kohler, and started bragging about it. What a jerk!! I have not seen that new shooter since.

Can a two, three or four trap club compete with the larger clubs? That depends. Some shooters may not prefer to shoot at a small club for whatever reason, but if they only want to shoot at the larger clubs to impress someone, they can stay at the larger clubs for all I care.

Our small club was incorporated in 1938 by a small group of men who liked shooting, and wanted to promote the shooting/hunting sports locally. They raised money, and built a clubhouse and traps. They thought fellowship should outweigh individualism. I'm glad they are not here now!

We just experienced our second straight scheduled registered shoot where no one came, or we did not have enough to register a squad. Is there fault to distribute? No club can run without proper management, so the fault must fall on the management. If so, I'm at fault for being in management. I don't suppose we can force shooters to come, but have we done anything to retain their support? A better question might be: Have we done anything to run them off? We know some of the answers, and are trying to correct past mistakes.

We passed out a questionaire wanting shooter input. How can we improve the club, what does the shooter want, how can we make your visit more enjoyable? No replies!

Over the years, the club has fallen apart, lost shooters, and members and directors have stepped aside for one reason or another. No new members have stepped up to help. Maybe it's a personality thing, who knows. We have about three dedicated volunteers who attempt to do all the work. This is pretty tough at times.

I'm sure others have fallen on tough times, but can we recover in time?

Maybe a "real trapshooter" can answer that question.

Danny

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

What is a

"It was recently estimated that upwards of fifteen (15) million enthusiasts enjoy pitching horseshoes in the United States and Canada, in tournaments, leagues, recreation areas and backyards. What sport offers so much for so little?"

Maybe this is where all the disillusioned trapshooters have gone.

15. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

What is a

What is a "real trapshooter"? See Grammie :)

16. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

What is a

The sarcastic but true answer ...

1.)Someone who loves to play options and donate all their money to the same 5 people who grace the cover of Trap & Field every issue.

2.)Someone who loves to vacation in the middle of a cornfield when it's 105 degrees.

3.)Someone who loves to sit around for hours and go brain dead so they can spend 20 minutes shooting. See #1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.