1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a PDF file--------------------------------

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by plabels466, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Question - what is a PDF file....Thanks......Pete

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It stands for "Portable Data File", and it's basically a way to present a document to make it look the same way it would if you were to print it. Hope this helps, Josh.

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

You need Adobe Reader to read a PDF file.

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Pete: I have a neat program that converts your files into PDF format, if this is what you are looking for.

You can go to the Adobe site and download for free Adobe Reader which will open and let you view & print attachments you get or sites you are viewing with PDF files.

Whiz

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

In addition to Adobe Reader, there is another PDF reader that is quicker to open. You can get the free download at the URL listed above.

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

That might be good advice. My computer downloads PDF files real slow. Ray.......

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It wouldn't be your computer that is downloading the files slowly, it would be your internet connection. It's better if you right click and click "save target as", then it will simply download it, and you can view it that way. Hope this helps, Josh.

8. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

One thing I absolutely detest is the temporary file called Adobe_Cleanup.001 that is left over after handling an Adobe opened file.

I get this constantly with Adobe Acrobat Pro. It really slows down my machine running in the background and I have to go into Task manager and kill it/them. Usually 2-3 are still trying to run.

Whiz

9. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Thanks guys for your help.....I am working on it.....Pete

10. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Not to nit pick, but PDF stands for "Portable Document File". PDF files are "portable", ie. they can be read on any computer platform or operating system.

BTW, there is a terrific suite of applications that contains all of the functions in Microsoft Office, and its FREE. Yes, free. No strings. Get it at www.openoffice.org

With it, you can edit, import and export files created in just about any program you can imagine, including PDF files.

11. WilliamMR

WilliamMR Active Member

I've been using cutepdf.com for quite a while. It's free. Anything you can print on your computer, it will turn into a pdf document.

Bill Radwan

12. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

PDF Creator from Source Forge is another one I've used for several years. The latest version works with Vista.

I do not understand how Adobe has the nerve to charge $500.00 for Adobe Acrobat Professional, when the entire Microsoft Office Professional 2007 suite is available for less than $300.00. The software is enormous (so big it won't fit on a CD and must be installed from a DVD) and contains very little in the way of unique features. All this to print PDF documents and a few other features.

But then again, I don't understand $800.00 for the full version of Photoshop, either. These are the most expensive programs in their categories, and are priced way beyond what they are worth. Seems to me that Adobe uses a pricing model straight from the 1980's.

13. BuckGuru

BuckGuru Member

Bob,

Get Openoffice. It does it all, for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.