1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a Lewis at an ATA shoot.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DKP, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKP

DKP TS Member

Just joined the ATA and looking forward to my first registered shoot in a couple of weeks. My question is what is a Lewis and how does it work.I see it cost extra money so is it like a side bet or is it just a different shoot.I also see on this particular shoot program it says you have to have 3 class entries to win.Does this mean you have to be registered for single,doubles and caps or am I way off base.Any help would be greatly appreciated for a newbie. Also I got my wife hooked on trap now also but I think she is going to be Kicking my Butt soon. Thanks in advance.

David

2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

A lewis is just luck other than the top class. They divide the total number of shooters by the number of lewis classes, and pay the top in each group.

For example: if there are 30 shooters and three lewis classes, they will take the top ten shooters and pay one third of the total purse to the higest scores. Then they take 11 thru 20 and pay one third to the top score or scores in that group. Then the high scores in 21 thru 30 is paid last one third of the purse.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The 3 Class Entries means that there has to be three separate shooters in a Class or Category in order for a trophy to be awarded for that event.

4. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

Harley Piot: Thank you -- your explenation of how to figure a Lewis Class is the first one that I have ever understood - I can see now, it is easy as pie to calculate!!!!!!. the beav

5. DKP

DKP TS Member

Thanks for the help guys. Should make it a liitle less nerve racking when I show up to shoot. Thank you again.

David

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have provided some links to lewis purse explanation feel free to read and try to understand what is being said. So people can and so people can't.

Bob Lawless

http://www.mynssa.com/Manager/NSSADisplayPage.aspx?Id=50

http://www.ga-sportingclays.org/lewissystem.pdf

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Unless you can break the top score in the Lewis you will have more fun and the same chance if you take the money out to the parking lot and pitch pennies.

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Here you go:

http://www.ga-sportingclays.org/lewissystem.pdf

9. 3357

3357 Member

I always thought the lewis was a novel way to spend an extra $10 on targets.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

ALWAYS play the Lewis....

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

What he said.

Eric

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Regarding playing the Lewis, we used to charge $10 for playing the Lewis. The shooters said it was too little so we raised the Lewis to $20. We have more Lewis entrys at $20 then we ever did at $10. With 25 entrys in the Lewis the total purse is $500, 2 classes @ $250 divided 60/40% gives 1st place of each class $150 and 2nd place $100. Ties divide.

Eric

13. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I've hit the Lewis the last 8 times I've shot in ATA events.

It's nice walking away with some money...

Bucko

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Think of the Lewis as luck based gambling. Harleypilot's explanation is pretty good. The Lewis seems to help people lighten up a bit as even a mediocre score can have it's rewards.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

The Lewis will also teach one about "kissing his sister." Last two times out, I got second highest in my short yardage class. I played the Lewis. Got ZIP re. payback. Two more targets hit, would have got Lewis and mandatory purse.

Snivel.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A "Lewis" is a way to redistribute the wealth among shooters by separating you from your money.

MK

17. DKP

DKP TS Member

Thanks for the reply's.I have always been a little bit of a gambler so maybe I will try it when I go to the shoot.

David

18. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I always play, it's fun.

19. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I shoot three clubs alot all summer two have gave up the Lewis . One club still plays Lewis and it does well . The two other clubs don,t have enough shooters interested in it to play . all three clubs have 10 to 15 squdes per sunday shoot .

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

A Lewis purse that pays three places is actually a 1/3 high gun purse and a 2/3 luck purse. During the 2008-2009 target year I played every Lewis purse and donated the winnings to the ATA Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame would have been a little happier if I had donated my entry fees rather than my winnings. You cannot win any purse money unless someone else looses it.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata lewis class

calculating an ata lewis purse

do regestered ata shoots pay out money

how is a lewis purse paid out at an ata shoot

lewis purse calculation

lewis purse trap

what is ata lewis class

whatis lewis purse in trap