1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a Jumbo 50?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lumper, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumper

    lumper TS Member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2007
    Messages:
    3,586
    Yippity yappity up to the tippity toppity this does go!
     
  2. Recoil Sissy

    Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,651
    r44u77:

    The Jumbo 50 is a money option available at some clubs for handicap events. The pot is established by shooter entry fees. It continues to accumulate until someone knocks it off. Normally, a winner (or winners) get 75% of the pot. The remaining 25% remains as the start of the next pot.

    It works like this...

    When the last squad finishes "today's" handicap event, shoot management randomly draws two traps out of a hat. There are six possible combinations: (1 & 2), (1 & 3), (1 & 4), (2 & 3), (2 & 4), and (3 & 4). To win the pot, a shooter must run the two traps that were drawn on that day.

    For example, assume 1 & 3 are the traps that were randomly drawn. Further assume you ran your first and third traps. Good on you! You just won. If you and I both ran our first and third traps, we split the pot.

    Notice that winning doesn't necessarily require shooting 50 straight. One would only need to run 50 straight if two consecutive traps (1 & 2, 2 & 3, or 3 & 4) are drawn. And... the only way to guarantee a win is running all four traps.

    So... assume the pot is $10,000. Traps 1 & 3 are drawn and you ran 1 & 3. You win 75% of $10K or $7,500. The remaining $2,500 is the start of the next pot.

    In your example, the accumulated pot of entry fees had reached $8,900. That means the pot had grown to $8,900 because nobody had won over the course of several handicap events.

    So… assume for the "next" handicap event, 55 shooters paid $20 to play the Jumbo 50 option. 55 x $20 or $1,100 would be added to the $8,900 for a total pot of $10,000. And… continue to assume traps 1 & 3 were drawn and nobody ran traps 1 & 3 today. In that case the pot rolls over, starts at $10k, and everybody tries to knock it off again next time.

    Make sense??

    sissy
     
  3. Bill60

    Bill60 TS Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Messages:
    110
    that sounds interesting i might bring that up to the manager of or shoots and see what he would think about that

    it sounds like mor money for me to win i think people would like it beacuse peopleare always complaining that they run the first and last or all ut one trap atleast at our club

    Thanx

    Steven
     
  4. jrb

    jrb Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    148
    The Jumbo 50 at Brittany Gun Club just paid around $9000.00...was finally won last Sunday. It still starts up at a decent amounr.

    J. R. Brock
     
  5. Recoil Sissy

    Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    2,651
    jrb:

    The winner was on my squad. He ran the first 50 targets followed by a 21 and 22. Traps one and two were pulled so stepping on his winkie the last two traps didn't matter. His first 50 was good for $9500 and change. Next day the pot started around thirty one or thirty two hundred.

    As a side note the winner received a money punch and is now on the 27 yard line.

    Bill60:

    Another interesting thing about the Jumbo 50 is that a shooter who runs any two traps has a one in six chance of winning. However, if one does the math, every trap appears in three of the six possible winning two trap combinations. So... even if a shooter runs three traps for a 99, he or she only has a 50% chance of winning.
    sissy
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.