1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a great all around Trap Gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RyanTT-99, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanTT-99

RyanTT-99 TS Member

This has probably been brought up before and debated about but Im bringing it up now. Im new to trap shooting and my overall question was, what is the most used trap gun out there that stands up to ALOT!!! of shooting and is comfortable for the user. Currently I am using the H&R Topper Trap and I love it but its not going to stand up to the amount of shooting that Im doing. In the next couple of years I will be upgrading to a new gun.

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

BT-99 an TM-1 are 2 of the all time favorites. also its hard to kill an 870

Bob

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Ryan: That is a complicated question that is very difficult to answer. Your reference of "comfortable to the user" is a question that only can really be answered by the person who shoots the gun. Many things enter into this; i.e., LOP, pitch on the stock, balance of the gun, barrel length, size of the individual shooting the gun and on and on. If possible I would ask the shooters at your local club if they will allow you to shoot their gun and see which gun you might feel comfortable with. As far as a good reliable gun. This again depends on your budget. If money is a factor I would consider a Beretta 682 over/under or a Browning Citori over/under. Why? They can be bought at a decent price, they are reliable guns and hold their value. If you can find one in good shape with choke tubes and an adjustable comb, (which you can always have installed), you are ready for all the clay target games. As far as barrel length you will probably have a choice of 30" or 32". That again would be a choice you will have to make. (Whatever feels more comfortable). Anyway, Good Luck in your search. Ed

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

That question is sure to bring about many opinions. The BT99 is probably the most mass produced single barrel trap gun ever manufactured. Another question your thread title touches on, but your posting doesn't, is what events do you shoot?!

If you limit yourself to singles and handicap, an SBT is fine. If you're thinking of shooting doubles, you'll need more capability in either a pump, semi or double break action...

My general opinion is that you'll have a hard time finding a better value than in a Browning. However, if you look at what the better competition shooters shoot, its generally an Italian or German make.

Assess you budget, buy a bit more gun than you can take advantage of today and grow into it... your second gun will quite likely not be your last!

Kind regards and continued success with your shooting,

Jay

5. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Single Barrel: Browning BT-99

Pump: Remington 870

Auto: Remington 1100

Over/Under: Browning Citori

These would be my picks to replace your Topper Trap. They can be had in "old school" fixed choke versions, or new / used with tubes. They have stood the test of time and all are a lot of gun for the $$.

6. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

It depends on level you enter. Three different levels of monies follow.

Rem. 1100

Browning Citori or Beretta 682

Perazzi MX10 (best)

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

For the money - SKB 85TTR Combo
    Best- K-80

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Any gun you can consistantly break targets with.

ss

9. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

As others have mentioned, it's hard to beat the Remington 1100. The 1100 was my first trap gun and I would likely be better off had I just stuck with it.

Good luck!

10. maka

maka Member

BT-99 for singles. If you want to shoot doubles or sporting clays. Either a REM 1100 or Browning OU. As stated they are all over time some of the best.

11. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

870 or 1100 remington are hard to beat for entry level trap gun,I shoot a dt-10 beretta but can still pick up my old 870 and shoot good scores with it.Jerry

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to do is determine your budget. You also need to know, that you will likely never to have purchased your last trap gun.

Once you decide what you can afford, then shoot everything you can beg or borrow, until you find something that feels "right". Then you may need to tweak the stock to make it the best it can be for you.

I started with an 1100 and then moved to Berettas and now shoot a Kolar. Bill Malcolm

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

MX8, period.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

RyanTT-99- A great "all around" trap gun for you may not be a great all around trap gun for me. Many above mentioned some very good guns (BT-99) that cannot be considered great all around trap guns-- they really do not do well shooting doubles.

One nice thing about trap shooters is that most are willing to eager to have you shoot their gun so it is possible to try many different guns. But, the problem is I have tried many guns, shot some well for a couple of rounds, bought the gun and never had a good round with them after the purchase.

Finding exactly the right gun for you can be a life long endeavor.

Pat Ireland

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

While Pat may be correct, others can find one gun and shoot it for life. Their is no need to buy a new gun every year or two, unless you just want one. Many shooters at my club buy one gun and shoot it for many many years. So that said, I would tell you to buy the most expensive gun you comfortablely can afford. As mentioned above a single barrel gun is not one of them. The Rem. 870's and 1100's are good starter guns, but break small parts to often while shooting to keep for to long. So most shooters end up with a Browning O/U or the Beretta O/U. Browning XT Trap or the Beretta 682 Gold E. are the main choices. New the Browing is in lower $2,000 price range and the Beratta lower $3000 price range. Do try to shoot both of these guns and see which one you like the best, before buying anything. Also do get a gun with the newer type choke tubes. If you ever want to shoot 5-stand,skeet,sporting clays, and of course trap all can be done with just one gun this way. You may need to add a adjustable comb and or adjustable butt plate to your new gun to get it to fit you just right. So if you want to buy a used gun, try to find one with the comb and or butt plate to start with.When trying a gun close your eyes, mount the gun and open eyes and see if your looking down the barrel correctly, this will help you see which one of the above guns fits you better out of the box.Mount the gun over and over many times to see how it feels. You will know the gun you like when you mount it this way. On the Brownings if you don't like the XT Trap, try the Sporting types or Skeet types as well. They all shoot the same POI (point of impact). Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If yo want a good solid gun that can't be surpassed till you get to at least twice the money, get a 90T.

Built like a bank vault, and holding value all the way. You could shoot one for several years and probably get all your money baci if you buy wisely.

Doug Braker is the guru and will take care of any worek if you should run into a problem. (not likely.)

If your finances are limited and you want a gun that is easy shooting get a BT-99 or an 1100.

HM

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Let's not exclude a Mod 12 !!! Not expensive !

They last forever, shoot where you look, and will crush birds from the back fence.

18. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I know the bt is a great gun but they can beat up on U---needs recoil system.

buy a krieghoff mod 32 or k-80---last a lifetime and little recoil

19. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Another vote here for the Browning XT...strong as a bank vault, and suitable for all trap events, and with tubes, also usable for skeet and 5 stand.

Another consideration is the fact that you are accustomed to the "break action" of the H&R Topper Trap...the XT is the same general operating sequence...just don't go looking for a hammer to cock.

New XT's can be found in my area for around $2200...hard to beat.

bluedsteel

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Play it simple...any Remington 870 in the tb, tc or higher grades. My TB lasted for 350K rounds and is still in the running after a heart transplant (receiver cracked, replaced and had the best summer of recollection). Also, shooting my brother's tc which has the best wood I've seen on that grade or below.

They shoot, they last, they win.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
great trap gun forum

great trap guns