1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHAT IS A GOOD TRAP GUN TO START WITH PLUS CHEAP A

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by outlaw16, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outlaw16

outlaw16 TS Member

what would be a good beginner trap gun to start shooting without breaking the bank.but still be a good investment

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Sounds like "Gumbo Shrip". If you are looking for an "INVESTMENT" go high end. There is no such thing as a CHEAP trap gun that will serve as an investment.A inexpessive beginners gun might be a BT-99, Beretta 391, Rem.1100, or 870(I would prefer an older 870 TB or TC) They have better wood and all steel triggers. While these guns will probably not lose their value, you won't make money on them either. An Investment would be a higher end P or K gun(but they won't come CHEAP!

4. outlaw16

outlaw16 TS Member

okay thanks, so scrap the ivestment part what is a good price for a bt99? or a gun along these lines

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd go with the Remington 1100. Easy gun to shoot, not much kick and you should be able to pick one up in the $500 range. This is the gun I started my daughter on. Mike

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

outlaw16, A nice used BT-99 should run you about $750-$1000 depending on old style type or newer type and condition of firearm and extras included. A New one plain should run you about $1,200 and one w/ an adj. comb about $1,400 this is without a gun case of any kind. Some shooters like the old style, They will kick the empty hull out of the gun, have nicer wood and metal is hand fitted better are the pluses. Bad side is older, no overbored barrel with reduced forcing cones, and no choke tubes to switch. The old style have fixed chokes. Some think this is a good thing, its up to you to decide. The new ones do not kick out the empty hulls only lift them so you have to pull out the empty hulls. They do have chokes that you can change, and Overbored barrels and reduced forceing cones, and ported barrels as well. All three of these will help reduce felt recoil, and give you a slightly better pattern. Its abit of a trade off as to which one you want to get. I hope this helps you out. I do suggest shooting one to see how you like any gun that you want to buy. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Shop around and pay attention to prices on various guns of the same make and model. Look for the good deal which will most likely come from your local gun clubs or a friend. While not possibly increasing in value they will retain their given price provided they are cared for. A BT99 bought rite can be a better investment than a Kolar, Ljutic, etc. Investment guns are a tricky lot and many more get burned than realize an increase in value.

8. outlaw16

outlaw16 TS Member

thanks to all for the info will take everything into consideration

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I started out with an old Ithaca SBT trap gun ($700) which I shot quite well for 2 years, then upgraded to a newer style BT-99 with adjustable comb. I don't know why you would want to spend $10,000 or $15,000 on a gun (such as a "P" or "K" gun) that does no more than the $1,000 BT-99. Only reason I can see spending more money would be to have the stock custom fitted to you, but that I think still shouldn't exceed $3,000. JMO, Josh.

10. tcenfarms

tcenfarms TS Member

Get an older bt99
    or if you want a good gun and you don't shoot 1000's of rounds a year
    get an skb 85tss but if you want achreap one get a used one

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Get the 1100 or 391 Beretta. Do some shopping around (like on this forum) and get a good condition used piece. Guns like these hold thier value reasonably well so you won't get hurt much when its time to sell. Also invest in a shop manual and be prepared for a little maintenance. Forget the single shots for now because you can't play the doubles game with them. If and when you want to move on to a break action gun get a combo or at least an O/U.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.