Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What is a good Semi-Auto for trap?

6K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  oleolliedawg 
#1 ·
Super X1 !! That's easy.LOL, Bob

#7 ·
When Remington was Remington I'd take the 1100 every time. Today maybe a little part polishing is in order but the design is proven. Heavier nose and natural swinger. Find an old 1100 with low round count and it will be better than anything made today. IMO.

#10 ·
Actually, I've been shooting 1100's for over 30 years. At one time I owned 16 1100's. I had 2 matched pairs and a couple of D grade Skeet guns as well. 1100's are good guns....but, not nearly as reliable as a Beretta auto. That's just a fact. Go to any Sporting Clays shoot and you will see racks full of 391's. You will be hard pressed to see any 1100/1187's what so ever. If you do, it's more than likely owned by a beginner in D or maybe even C class. You will not see A or Master class shooters using them....but you will see lots of Master class shooters using Beretta autos. I'm just stating a fact, you can deny it all you want, but it's the truth.

If you're shooting singles or caps, it doesn't really matter, but if you are depending on the second shot, the Beretta is a hands down better choice.

#14 ·
I'd third Trons opinion!! Shot a model 50 for thirty or so yrs, but try to find a mod.50 trap that someone wants to part with, and you could buy a nice new 391 and adjust it with all the shims etc. to customize it yourself.Also There are some great 303's for sale on this site right now. Joe D

#18 ·
What you were looking at is about it. The Beretta is adjustable and stocked heavier. Adjustable comb installation on a Beretta is easy and not that expensive. An 1100 trap of the last 10 or 15 years isn't that of the 70's or 80's.

Get what fits you best or the one that will make you sleep the best at night.

Between your 2 posts you must be more confused now than before you started. I own both, I would lean toward the Beretta for a target gun hands down. But I would never part with my 1100/11-87 field guns.

Tron must be the man, and I to must agree with him. He seem to always have a respectable opinion on Beretta semi's. You had a previous poster who feels that the Sporting Clays scene is just fad based and the higher usage of Beretta auto really has nothing to do with them being superior to some level over the Remingtons. I'm still chuckling over them being a fad. Don't look to see Remington break that fad anytime soon. They are glorified field guns. Trap singles out of an auto loader is no test for reliability. Reliability I would think would come off of a sporting course or a doubles field.

#19 ·
My Mossberg is as good as the Berettas and Remingtons I have shot against in sporting clays but doesn't come in a configuration specialized for trap. Looking at the action broken down it has similarities to both the Browning and Beretta but at half the price. At 8 pounds it is the perfect weight for me in sporting clays. I have no problem running 25's with it in skeet or trap either. Being a fairly new design I don't know how long it will last. A few thousand rounds so far without anything breaking. I couldn't be happier with it and have owned a Beretta auto and currently own a couple of Remington autos. If they ever came out with a trap model it would be a good gun for trap. I like it too because it is American made. Not an Italian gun.

#20 ·
I own all of them and shoot all of them for different sports and various reasons. first off the 1100's I own do not jam because they are kept reasonably clean, if you want a gun that kicks and is very reliable without a lot of cleaning the Beretta is a great choice. I shoot a G-Squared on my 390 that cost as much as the shotgun. But... It doesn't kick and is very reliable and has a 3 inch chamber and has no trouble with 2 3/4 inch shells. The 1100 kicks soft and points far better then the Beretta in my opinion. You will need to clean it more often and replace parts when they near the end of their service life. If you do this the gun will not let you down very often. I have seen Berettas jam lots of times. My own and others. The Sx-1 is a combination of reliability and increased recoil but not near as much as a Beretta. Parts are expensive but are easily obtained by the people who know where to look. More reliable then a Beretta, less money then a Beretta, and point nicer then a Beretta (My opinion). If the 3" conversion on SX-1's was worth a damn I would have no need for a Beretta at all.

If you buy a Beretta, buy a 303. each Beretta that comes out is worse then the last and more money. They quit building the 303 because it lasts too long as far as I am concerned, I don't see one thing about the 390 that is better then the 303. I see nothing about a 391 that is better then a 390. I see that it was better for Beretta. I am getting cynical in my old age but if anybody can tell me what is better I would like to hear it. P/S The cigar sized chokes came out later as the first 391's had mobile chokes. I have patterned the cigar chokes and I can't see that they are any better either. The dove outfitters in argentina shoot Beretta's and they fire a lot of shells each day and they don't want to spend their evenings rebuilding shotguns. Lots of good reasons to own any of them. I have chosen to own all of them for different reasons. Jeff

#21 ·
you buy this gun-beretta 303 "shooter"--shoot it for a month- if you dont like it, send it back. all you risk is the frght $50--- the 303 trap is affordable, low recoil,smokes rocks,very reliable and holds value- even if they are beatup a lil!! $550 shipped wally riebesell 660-744-4115

#23 ·
dbart, I shot one this entire summer on sporting clays. They are not a trap gun. There is no shell catcher available, and they are stocked too low (usually) even in their highest comb setting. I had to add a 1/8" foam pad to the comb to raise the POI. They have slow triggers. They also present more felt recoil than a 391 or a 1100.

I shot it well, but traded it for new 391 trap, whichI now use for sporting.

Don't get me wrong, they are great guns, but I don't see many on the registered sporting courses when money is on the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.