1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a good reloader to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by copperhead, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copperhead

copperhead Member

I'm looking to purchase a reloader and just wanted your guys expert opinion on witch one to buy. Right now my choices are the Mec sizemaster or the 9000g. I'm leaning towards the 9000 because of how fast it kicks out shells and it is automatic with alot less steps that a single stage. I'm not to concerned about price because I have enough Cabelas points to get anything from the 9000 on down. let me know if the 9000 is a good buy or should I be looking at something else.

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have a 9000 and also a 366... buy the 9000 I love mine!

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are you new to reloading??

4. Duck

Duck Member

If I had that many Cabelas points, I'd already be reloading with the Mec!. :)
    Hornady 366 is good also, if you own a Mec single stage you have bushings for the 9000.

5. copperhead

copperhead Member

This will be my first shotgun shell reloader. I only load rifle at this point.

6. grntitan

copperhead-- I was just curious as a single stage often works easier for beginners. Since your not, i'd get the 9000G MEC. I load on a Pacific 366 and love it but there is nothing wrong with the MEC's or any of the other manufactures either.

Matt

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Get the 9000G

8. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I believe you can use the 9000G as a single stage loader and then once confident, you can switch it over to a progressive. I am not 100% sure if this is possible but I am sure those with more experience will correct it if I am wrong.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If money is an issue, consider a used MEC Grabber. JM

11. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i have a 800+--i was new--the learning curve was quick

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The 9000 is a good loader to learn off of. How ever I would like you to find a 600 or 650 that is a single stage so you can learn the in's and out's of a shotgun reloader. If not then have someone who you trust from your gun club come over and help you set it up and help you with the learning curve. That is a safety call for you.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Depends on the volume of shells required, & the value you put on your time.I've had just about everything on the market, but still prefer a single stage as I do like to play & S.S.s are better suited to messing around, not fast, but FUN. Personal thing but I don't care for Mec. loaders too loose jointed, best value for your $$$ in my opinion is late model Pacific--(Hornady)366 in progressives, or if you can find one (S.S.) the now discontinued model the 266, both are built to last a lifetime. I am retired so time isn't a major issue but I can still load enough shells for a weekend of fun in a couple hours. Good Luck & have fun with whatever you choose. Ross Puls

14. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Auctioneer
    The 650 is a progressive loader.

15. grntitan

The 650 is progressive but doesn't have auto indexing if my memory serves me correctly.

Matt

16. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

If you can afford a little more money buy a ponsness warren ,I own one and these reloaders are made to last ,easy to learn and can do hundreds of shells in a hour

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

If you buy a 9000 GN or any other Mec progressive loader, beware of the amount of pressure that is required to pull the handle down on 6 shells at once is alot more than a single stage loader. If you have problems with your neck,back,arms, or shoulders you may want to look into a single stage press or a Auto-mate or Hydro type 9000 G loader. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

18. sporting clay

sporting clay Member

The guys above are right, buy a progressive. I have loaded on a Hornady 366 for 12 years, single stage Pacific before that for over 20 years. What ever you decide to buy, before you mount it on your bench go to Wal-Mart and buy standard size cookie sheet. Put the cookie sheet under the loader on your bench.It will catch most of the shot and powder you ARE going to spill.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Progressive reloaders and cookie sheets go together! MEC is the predominant brand and the 9000 offer the auto indexing. Use the tool as a single stage until you've got it where you want it, then self-load as a progressive...

Good luck,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.