1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a calcutta?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by setter, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. setter

    setter Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    663
    First there's an entry fee, say $20. Then everyone in the Calcutta is sold at auction to the highest bidder. Total money, bids and entry has a pre-determined split - large shoot, 40%, 30%, 20%, 10%. That is for first high score, second, etc. Then, buyer gets 70%, shooter 30%. Ties divide. For example - $1000 total in purse. First place and all tied for first split $400. Of that 1st place split, 70% goes to buyer, 30% to shooter and continues for 2nd, 3rd & 4th.
     
  2. perazzitms

    perazzitms TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    521
    If you remember that Calcutta was once known for the slave trade, you'll get a good idea of what the event is.


    In essence, you "buy" a shooter at auction. That shooter now in essence "works (shoots)" for you. The shooter wins a percentage of the auction pot (say 35%) and the buyer gets the other 65%. It's like that because the buyer is the one who really puts out the money at auction.

    Most time you will see something like "Entry $10, first bid $10". Shooters enter by paying the entry $10. If nobody bids on or buys the shooter, the shooter is responsible for the first bid of $10 (it's assumed that the shooter will take his own first bid). So total entry would be $20 on the shooter. If the shooter is auctioned off to the highest bidder, then that bidder is responsible for the $10 (or $30, or $100, or $2000).

    Obviously people go for the best shooters at the auction, but there's always the chance of some unknown sneaking in there and winning it all. If the shooter bids on himself, he becomes the shooter and buyer, so he keeps 100% of the money.
     
  3. slide action

    slide action Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    4,916
    Calcuttas are common at larger shoots. The ATA doesn't like them advertised as part of the program(probaly due to various gambling laws in some states) so you will see them listed as "Special Events" on most programs. Back in the money haydays when the pots were bigger, it was usually divided 60/40, but now most shoots run 70/30 splits(buyer/shooter). Most are ties divided which makes it interesting, for example three shooters all in the calcutta are high with 98s and one shooter comes in with a 97. The 98s(and their buyers) will have to split the top money 3 ways while the 96(and his buyer) will get the lions share of the money since they don't have to divide 2nd place money with anyone else. Usually the calcutta is held the evening prior to the main Handicap event and USUALLY after the "open bar". People are always more willing to part with their money after a couple of tall ones. I don't play much, but I lack the skill and money to play much. They are interesting, but not what they once were.
     
  4. Gary Waalkes

    Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2007
    Messages:
    1,400
    just information - they have the same contest in golf
     
  5. AJ100

    AJ100 TS Member

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    Messages:
    1,575
    Boys, I would tell you about the money in a flyer calcutta but you would not believe me anyway.

    Entry $200.00...Opening bid...$100.00

    Wild Card..Usually goes somewhere around $10,000.00 and up!

    A whole different game. LOL

    AJ100
     
  6. admiral Art

    admiral Art TS Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    253
    Golf, Skeet, Big Game Fishing.

    In a large Game Fish Tournament, the payoff is in 6 figures.

    Except for what I won shooting in the World Shoot [Skeet], I used to take home more $ from buying myself at a skeet shoots.
     
  7. pendennis

    pendennis Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,567
    Location:
    Southeast Michigan - O/S Detroit
    Like Gary wrote, amateur golf is the other home of the calcutta. We used to have them in larger "scrambles" events. Since amateurs can't earn prize money, the calcutta is the only method of taking home cash, when you don't need another dozen golf balls, or a new shirt.

    Best,
    Dennis
     
  8. shot410ga

    shot410ga Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 1998
    Messages:
    7,763
    One of my favorite thing to do at a shoot. I wish more clubs had them. They are fun.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

calcutta bet gamble trap shooting