1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a Calcutta, and Anni Oakley

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chastaj, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chastaj

chastaj Member

I am new to trap shooting and see clubs advertize Calcuttas, and Anne Oakleys. What are they and how do they work?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Anne is a game where shooters line up at the 27+ yard line. It's a variation on miss and out. Where I play each shooter puts $5 in the pot. Usually it's played where the first four shooters have their guns up, the first man shoots, if he misses then the second shooter fires, if that's a miss then the third shooter fires, if he breaks the target then the 1st & 2nd shooters go to the end of the line. 2 misses and you're out. We usually have 15-20 shooters playing. Last man standing gets the pot.

A Calcutta or "Special Event" is where shooters put up an entry fee of $10-$20 and after the entrys are closed there is an auction to buy a shooter. Usually the four highest scores split the pot on a 40/30/20/10% percentage basis and then that purse is split either 60/40% or 70/30% between the buyer and the shooter. Lot of money to be made in a Calcutta.

Eric

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had shot Annies for many years, Eric is right except we don't get second chances and move to the end of the line ... The first and second shooter in the example Eric gave would of been shot out and can only wait for the next game to get back in ...

There is a variation of the typical Annie also where the back up shooters try to hit pieces of the target hit by the first or second shooter (any target hit by any shooter) and that knocks them out also ... I have had many nights where I never missed my target and never won a game either, so it can get tough and them boys don't give no breaks (no pun intended) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

WPT

Breaking a piece of the other guys target is a seperate game here. We call it "Killer Diller". We play it as follows, 3 guns up, 1st shooter hits target, 2nd shooter tries to hit a piece. 3rd shooter can fire only if 1 & 2 miss the target. If #3 hits target, 1 & 2 are out, if #3 misses then it's a by. I'm sure there a many variations depending on location.

Eric

5. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Anni Oakley can be played in a number of ways. Each club has its own way. It is fun to shoot and worth shooting. You will either have bragging rights or you will be redfaced.

another good game is Jap Trap. That is a game that you shoot trap targets from skeet stations. Again the way it is played if different at each club. That to is a fun game. Just to add to this. I was shooting Jap trap with a person who thought he was the best in the club and I was beating the stuffings out of him and he got so mad he walked off the field. He had no chance to win and he knew it. Everyone who was watching had a great laugh out of it. Some people just need to relax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.